Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Dakota for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

The Best 15 year old truck you can buy

asherr6, 09/02/2015
SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This review is specific to the 4.7l v-8 in the extended cab base truck. First off the engine is absolutely bulletproof. I bought it with 62k miles in 2005, now 10 years later i have 170k miles and it still runs/drives so smoothly. Aside from tires and oil changes, I've had to replace are driver side tie rod end, water pump, number 7 fuel injector, front wheel bearing ($33 on amazon, it just slides on) and the two trans sensors that measure output speed (i think, they are side by side). all told most of labor i did my self but i've spent about $750.00 in the life of the truck. The alignment goes out once a year, (its probably a bushing) and the a/c, it has been out for about 3 years, not sure the cause but its not simply freon. This truck has taken 5 grown men from birmingham to ohio and illinois 4 times while pulling a large trailer. Its taken the same group numerous times to new orleans, tampa and south carolina. All I can say is it is still extremely reliable and if you have the opportunity to get a dakota with the 4.7, please do yourself a favor and jump on the opportunity. My wife is always asking when i'm going to buy a new truck and trade mine in (the paint is looking rough lol). I explain that I plan on my son who is 18 months, to drive it for is first car. I have all the confidence in the world, that with good maintenance and decent driving the truck will easily last another 15 years. Update** I still have the truck it’s pushing 190k still running strong. I picked up an 05 grand Cherokee with the same 4.7 as the Dakota. So I don’t drive my truck that often. The alignment is still annoying but no other issues. Great truck!!

Comfort and Power

Great Ride, 02/13/2008

I bought the 00 Dakota Quad cab with its 5.9L V8 in November of 2000, brandnew with 140 miles on the ODO. I've since put 60000m on the truck without any major issues. Heated sideview mirrors were replaced under warranty. Right side passanger widow regulator died and had to be replaced. Recent leak in the cooling system fixed with a hose replacement. Otherwise this truck has performed wonderfully for the past 8 years. I've pulled a boat, 5 people and the bed filled with camping gears over the pass with no problems. I've hauled 50 foot of fencing material, tons of gravel, you name it. This is the family truck to own. It's also stylish enough that wife and I drive it to the opera and ballet.

2000 Dakota Quad Cab

marine64, 10/25/2007

The 2000 Dakota Quad Cab with hard shell topper was just what I wanted. It handles well in all sorts of weather. The 4.7 ltr. engine has plenty of power and get up. Only gets about 15-16 mpg in town and may 18 highway. I put a duel exhaust system on her which boosted power a bit and gives it that big truck sound. I'll certainly buy another Dakota in a few years

Good Truck

sean, 07/31/2008

This has been a really great truck to have. I get about 25 MPG on the highway. I would advise not driving in the city as it chugs gas in crowded SoCal City roads. Ive hauled 1 trailer and didn't even notice any difficulty with the V-6. I run an aftermarket exhaust and people think I have a V-8 and want to race.

Needs Improvements

Barnell, 06/17/2008

I bought my 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9L on October 12th 2007. The first two to two and a half months it was ok. Then I started noticing that the power steering would go out from time to time. My oil pressure would drop for no reason. Last, I noticed in the morning, when I would first start to drive it, it would get stuck in second gear and I would have to coast until third kicked in. Gas Mileage on this truck is HORRENDOUS. I'm not sure if it’s the quality of Dodge or if it was the owner before me, but I know I would probably not tell any one to buy this truck. But on the plus side, the body and style is awesome.

Excellent Truck

Eric, 12/05/2010

Bought my Dakota new in Nov. '00, 10 yrs later and it's still going strong. Absolutely the best truck I've ever owned. Been cross country 4 times and it's comfortable for the long trip. My only complaint is the mileage is lower then I wold like, but then again, I bought the big V8 for the power and reliability. It's been both, 114K miles, engines never been torn apart, religious maintanence, it's been driven hard and still looks, runs, drives like new. Recently passed Colo. emissions at near perfect levels, with a superchips tuner active at the time.

Useful and Reliable

mrish, 03/22/2011

I bought my 00' Dakota SLT 4.7 v8 4x4 brand new in 2000. It currently has 195k miles on it and runs great. Doesn't burn oil, doesn't smoke, and doesn't even have an oil leak. The only problems I 've had is 2x freeze plugs, 2x speed sensors, and one oxygen sensor. I've pulled a Kubota 4wd tractor, a Massey Ferguson, and pulled a fullsize truck on a trailer 300 miles. The 4WD has worked great and the limited slip rear diff. has got me out places that other 4x4's couldn't. I've taken care of it mechanically and used semi-synthetic oil every 5k miles. I would buy this truck all over again with question.

Reliable, decent mileage

Gregg, 06/13/2008

I bought my Dakota in November last year. Little would I know just how much I would enjoy the truck this winter with near record snowfall. It has been very reliable. Not one non-maintenance item needed for replacement. Only items replaced are the tires and the downstream O2 sensor. Other then that, not one issue. Gets about 18 mpg in the city. Can average in the low twenties with straight highway driving. Would definitely recommend this truck to someone who needs a small truck.

BUY A DODGE DAKOTA

zwzach, 02/03/2010

I bought this truck because I was looking at trucks in its class like the Toyota Tacoma, Ford Ranger and Nissan Frontier. But nothing compares to this truck, my truck has the 4.7 v8 all I have to say is I am very impressed with the power and the styling of this truck it is a sweet ride. I did buy a cold air intake and a chip for this truck for $630.00 and i think it will unleash the real Dakota in side and should help with the fuel economy factor so anyways buy a dodge Dakota I really think you will love it just buy with a 4.7 or 5.9 i think you will enjoy it a bit more.

The best truck i have ever owned.

Bill O, 03/10/2008

This is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The engine is very strong and it's great in the snow. Annual repair cost for me is under a $100. All I really do is change the oil, rotate the tires and give it a tune up every 4 years. The only big expense was I needed to do was put rotors and new brakes on the truck.

Great for a cheaper-end product of dodge

Devyn, 02/19/2016
Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Have been in a Dodge truck family my whole life (Rams, Durangos, and my own Dakota) and i couldn't be more pleased with a 16 year old truck. Drive a 2000 dakota "sport edition" 3.9 v6. Religious fluid changes, brakes, tire rotations, all done myself. Yes, rust is an issue, but thats the only big issue I've run into. No major engine or even transmission issues (which is unusual for an old dodge truck) have occurred yet, besides an oil pan gasket. Cold air intake and bigger, meatier tires than stock and my baby overcomes anything i throw its way. Looking to replace its status as my daily with a charger r/t, but even after that my Dakota will not be gotten rid of until every part has seized. If i could go back, i think i'd buy it again.

No lack of power

fla cruser, 07/29/2008

Good looking truck, handles very well, its quick, no major problems fuel mileage could be better

Dakota Quad Cab 4.7L

Mike7642, 11/04/2009

I first bought this truck out of practcallity. Room plus towing. After a few simple mods I found myself with one powerful machine. Its hard to keep the foot off the gas with such a sleek truck with power to spare. I have since bought a 2009 Laramie and while totally impressed with it, I miss my Dakota.

123k and runs like new

Tim, 07/31/2008

This is the best truck I've ever had. It handles, rides, brakes, and looks great. I had only had Chevy's before and hated the Anti-lock brakes, but love the Dakota's brakes.This truck rides at least 10 times better than the Chevy and has a lot more power than the Chevy did, and I went from a 4.3 Chevy to a 3.9 Dakota. The only thing I don't like is the fuel economy, but not so bad I would go back to Chevy. Don't know if I'll ever buy another Chevy.

Great until 100k miles

Melissa42781, 01/07/2008

I bought my Dodge in 8/04, 3 months later I got pregnant. The truck was great with a baby, though no room for all the stuff that goes with a kid. The power is great, I pulled someone out of being so stuck that the rope broke. Gas mileage was terrible. Once my truck reached 100k miles it basically pooped on me. it was one thing after another. to make a long story short I had to get rid of it. I could not afford to keep fixing it and paying the car payment. No one knew what was wrong with it. But other than that I loved it.

Nice Affortable Truck

pcannon, 05/03/2002

A real gem. Cute, functional, confortable, truck. Loved everything about the truck except an unrepairable wind noise leak around the driver side window seal. Also, with V8 the computer shut off fuel flow to engine without surprise at 97 mph. Understandably for safety, however operating paremeters should be disclosed in owners manual.

2000 DAKOTA SPORT

SUBMARINER, 05/14/2002

I HAD MY DODGE DAKOTA SPORT EXTENDED CAB FOR 2.5 YEARS AND HAD A FEW PROBLEMS WITH IT. THE WORST OF WHICH WAS AT 30,000 MILES MY TANSMISSION FAILED AND THE TRUCK WAS IN THE SHOP FOR 3 WEEKS GETTIGN FIXED. NOW AT 52000 MILES THE SAME THING IS STARTING TO HAPPEN AGAIN, IT IS SHIFTING REALLY HARD.

BEST TRUCK YOU CAN HAVE

Woods10, 12/12/2009

I'm 17 and My dakota is amazing!! I love it!! It has the 4.7 V8 and NO lack of power thats for sure! i have 3in of lift with 33x12.50 mud kings and people are always amazed in how much mud this truck will go through!! Only thing i want to change is the front seats. i want to make it a six seater with the flip up console. i just don't know where to find it.

sollar yellow

dak , 06/15/2002

overall this is a good truck for the exeption of the auto trany that sleeps all the time when passing.

It's a good truck

rbc1965, 07/27/2010

I purchased this truck new from dealer with 1.5 miles on it for $19,000.00 Cash. My Dodge is dependable. I crashed it pretty bad once and had the dealer fix it ($6000 for repairs). After 10 years it still drives like a new truck & has NEVER stuck me anywhere. I have owned A 75 Ford Courier, A 90 Mazda B2200 and this Dodge. The 1975 Ford was the best. The 2000 Dodge is second best. The 1990 Mazda was the worst. I have kept up the tune up's and oil changes and have never had a problem with it yet. The interior is a bit cheap with plastic parts(I broke the plastic Parking Brake Release Handle & Cup holder). Other than that I am very happy with the truck.

You get what you pay for!

texasgunrunner, 08/03/2002

My Dakota performs well in spite of how I abuse it. For a V8 4x4, the gas mileage acceptable. It has been extremely reliable - and I put 30K miles on it the first year!. The only serious issue was the AC clutch bearing failed, which I replaced myself. I did upgrade the cheesy factory front rotors. For all the other reviewers who bought the low-end versions econo- versions ("It lacks power with a 2.5L engine..." duh! it is a truck!) - you get what you pay for and you should have had a V8. This is no featherweight Nissan putt-putt - it is a real vehicle, so get a real engine and then we'll talk.

Great Buy

gwashy, 10/19/2006

I bought this vehicle for the utility of a truck, but what I got was a vehicle that handles great and has been a great buy for the money. Outside of a recall on the ball joints, I have not had any issues at all. A highly reliable vehicle that handles/performs well and is sporty. The V6 engine has plenty of get up and go and proves to have plenty of torque with a bed full of anything. The interior is comfortable, but can feel a bit "cheap". The interior components tend to move around in the assembled condition and do not fit snugly. Also, the dash features feel hollow and do not give a robust feel. With the interior my only concern, I am quite satisfied and would buy it again anyday.

Best American vehicle I ever had

dzerres, 10/29/2007

This truck has had no mechanical issues for the 7 years I've owned it (it was recalled for ball joints which they replaced but were not worn). My only regret is not having bought the 4 door version and not bothered with the camper shell.

Fantastic Little Truck

Good Truck, 10/26/2007

This is my second 4wd with a v8 and it has not dissapointed. I will always buy Dodge trucks from now on. I pull a 6000lb boat with no trouble at all.

best truck

mydakota, 03/20/2008

my father was going to sell it but instead he gave it to me and i've had only minor problems with it, it has a great engine and sounds great with the flowmasters i had put in, love my truck and wouldn't trade it for the world...

FUN!!

JA, 05/05/2016
R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Worst and BEST truck I have ever owned. Purchased in 2003, sold in 2008 as trade in for less of a Beast. 4 sets of tires, and numerous tickets had to let it go. After I made all the modes I wanted, not diving into the engine itself, I had a real runner. Would smoke any Honda trying to make a run at me on the H3, Honolulu, HI with so much torque. Just loved hearing them grabbing lower gears thinking they could catch me. Pegged speedometer once in WA state on a super long back road, and still had 2 grand to go (never did that again scared me so bad). Replaced entire front/rear suspension with polyurethane bushing and KYB shocks, did so because the Dodge's were notorious for ball joint failure. That turned the truck into go-cart like handling, stiffening up the suspension all the way around. Engine wise: Throttle body plate, cold air intake, stainless steel headers (kept single pipe out), high flow cat, high flow muffler, Mopar performance computer, 165 degree thermostat, 8mm spark plug wires, platinum spark plugs, and MSD 6a digital ignition. I still think about that truck all the time and wish I never got rid of it........why? Oh, my reasoning above, but why?

Unique and Hard To beat

BestinNaperville, 10/29/2002

Have had for 3 years. Love this vehicle. There isn't anything much faster on the road for both passing and off the line car or truck. A Viper beat me once. Engine is just now breaking in, so it is even smoother after 3 years. Gas mileage could be better, but SUV's are much worse. Intense Blue will make this a collectors vehicle some day. Was hard to find and very few built this way. Quality is better than I expected. Dealer has taken care of any problems, and is very courteous. Could use a better left foot rest for long drives. 4WD is awesome in snow ! And great in rain.

Great Truck!

wickesser, 02/26/2002

Would by this truck again. Best review you can give.

Front end issues

skibum616, 08/20/2003

Every thing is great but the front end of these trucks. At 89000 miles I had the upper driver side ball joing literally blow apart. The dealership, under my extended warranty, replaced all 4 ball joints on the truck and both upper control arms. After further investigation I found that Dodge Durangos from the years 1996 to 2000 are under investigation by the National Traffic and Highway Safety Administration for this problem. Also, the rotors on these trucks are undersized for the trucks weight. In the 95,000 miles I have had the truck the rotors have been replaced twice and I have replaced the front breaks 3 times.

So Far, So Good

fastcpa, 11/15/2003

3+ years, 95 mile commute to work, many items hauled and/or towed, and no major problems. Change the oil and go.

2000 Dodge Dakota

jmbudde, 01/06/2004

The only thing that I do not care for in this truck is the fuel economy. The truck fits my lifestyle and what I need it to do. The interior is roomy and comfortable for the over all size.

Fuel Pig

opie, 04/07/2006

11 MPG Highway, replaced (at my cost) engine at 60000 miles, all servicing done by Dodge, as per Owner's Manual. Using Dodge Syn oil. Four sets of Dodge front shocks in 70,000 Miles, spring booster overloades needed to level drooping rear end

Excellent Mid-size Truck

hmrhed1, 06/13/2004

I liked the looks as soon as they came out. I finally got one and I'm glad I did. It's been a great running truck for the 2 years I've owned it. Comfortable, quiet and even at 6'4", I have plenty of room. I drove both the 4.7L and the 5.9L and decided on the smaller V-8. It has plenty of power for my uses, which doesn't include towing...yet.

More bark than bite

ruffles, 11/06/2004

I purchased this R/T on Ebay almost one year ago. Replaced the idler pulley,v-belt, and water pump. Overall, the truck turns heads everywhere I go. Sounds excellent through factory single exhaust (not sure what genius put single exhaust on a performance truck). The truck is fun to drive. Fuel economy is about 14 in the city and 17 on the highway. Truck has a 5.9 v-8 and only produces 250hp. Most hondas with a couple of mods can beat me on any given day. Looks mean, sounds mean, feels mean. Stock with k&n filter runs high 14's in quarter mile.

nice try mopar

rim, 03/23/2003

I liked it because it was a mid-size truck, however it drives like a full size and suck gas like a full size truck. The brake is below what I expected. The Good-year eagle rs is already showing signs of wear after 25k on them. The windshield wiper blade left the vehicle after two years. Even though it was almost never used (living in so. cal, no rain). Nice try dodge, how bout using some quality parts.

One of My 2 Dakota 2000 Quad Cab Trucks

rhudman, 05/08/2003

I own two of these trucks. They were bought in Dec 1999. Both have been driven on long vacation trips from Texas to Florida. The Sport has a 4.7 Liter V8 which is easy on the gas and very peppy. The other is a SLT with a 5.9 Liter V8 and the full towing package to enclude towing capacity to 9000 lbs. As could be expected the gas milage is not as good as the smaller V8's and V6's but it is very powerful and extremely stout.

Happy First-time Dodge Owner

SAMetzger, 03/18/2002

In my first 16 months of ownership I am still very happy with my purchase! The ride has remained smooth, fuel economy constant, integrity solid, and interior durable. On a 5,000 mile camping trip to the mountains it provided all the reliability, functionality, and comfort that I could have asked for. The 3.9L V-6 is not the strongest motor available but adequate for acceleration needs (even loaded) and light towing.

New little red truck

dodgemanchris, 03/05/2007

It is a good truck. Looks great on the road. Handling is unreal, sometimes I forget I am in a truck. Also have not had a lot of problems out of it. Tire size is a little odd, so prices are kind of high. But when it handles that good, it evens out. Overall,it is a good truck that you can do light work with in the day, and then a night take your girl out on the town. Trust me,she will ask to drive.

Oil Pressure Problems

geroge, 04/08/2007

I've had a Dakota for a few years now and what seemed to be a good vehicle has turned into a dog. Even with regular oil changes it seems this truck will drop it's oil pressure for no reason. A quick search on the web tells me I am not the only one this has happened to. The 3.9L engine is a sludge factory. Now, we all don't have the ability or oppurtunity to pull over when something like an unexpected drop (to 0) in oil pressure occures, so just imagine the amount of engine damage that can occur. Isn't it a lovely sound to hear my engine knock. Not only would I avoid Dodge but any Diamler/Chrysler product.

Dodge Dakota R/T

DrewD, 09/10/2004

Dodge far and away builds the poorest vehicle I have ever owned. This truck not only depreciates the fastest of any American vehicle but the milage rating was overstated by almost twice what it got. Also when the dealership was questioned about the poor milage and the engine miss I was told "yes I can hear it but Dodge won't authorize us to fix it" For having as large of an engine as it did it was not fast. For a 2000 the idea that Dodge uses the same undercarrige as a 1970 car pretty much tell the story on the funding they put into research and development. Never will I look at a Dodge\Chrysler vehicle again.

Awesome truck!

HateDodge, 07/14/2002

I wonder why people never say anything bad about dodge dakota

Fantastic

Brian1330, 08/19/2002

This is a great truck to drive. It has the power and the looks. I drove several trucks before buying the Dakota, and I couldn't beat the room. For the same price as a compact truck why not buy the midsize Dakota. You wouldn't be sorry.

BAD DODGE

Chris Wesendorf, 11/16/2002

DON'T BUY ONE!! I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH MY VEHICLE. iT STILL HAS A VIBRATION THAT IT'S HAD SINCE DAY #2.

Don't buy one of these(Unless it's mine)

GasHog, 01/21/2003

The best fuel economy I ever saw was 11mpg on the highway on a several state road trip. The EPA claims 17mpg on the highway and a few less for the city. I could expect 7 to _maybe_ 8mpg on an average tank of mixed city/highway driving. This truck is supposed to be performance oriented. It is not very quick considering it has a 360cid engine and gets such lousy fuel economy. If you are in the market for a high performance truck, spend the extra money and buy a Ford Lightning (I don't even like Ford and am suggesting it over my Dodge).

Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

George Barnett, 08/24/2004

Like the looks of the vehicle but the poor quality qickly caught my attention. Tires were an issue from the test drive, dealer replaced 2 before I replaced the whole set, engine pulled at 18k and new seals installed, electrical problem, brake caliper and brakes completely replaced at 24K, dealer said was normal, dealer says control arms needed replacing about the same time. Rattles developed in the dash (which drove us crazy) never got them quited down) along with the bed which I later found was not fasten on straight. Plastic fastners came loose around windshield and on firewall. I understand why the dealership high pressured the extended warranty.

my 2000 dodge dakota with 283,000 miles

jackson, 03/14/2019
Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

How well it has been mantained

GOOD TRUCK

CPB, 04/25/2002

THIS THE 5TH ONE I HAVE OWNED - ALL HAVE BEEN GOOD. I WILL CONTINUE TO BUY ONE EVERY 2 YEARS. JUST SIGNED A DEAL ON A 2002 YESTERDAY.

Not Happy

Not Happy , 05/08/2002

18,000 miles total. transmission failure at 3000 miles,Paint coming off rear bumper covers 4500 miles,truck stopped running ecm failure at 9500 miles,fuel gauge sender replaced at 15000 miles. Whats next??? Don't think I'll buy another one

No problems yet

staffer21, 06/06/2002

I have had mine for about 6 months, it is a great ride and very enjoyable. My last car was a mustang, and this is a nice trade.

Can't wait for end of lease

MerleB, 06/07/2002

A year to go on my lease and I can't wait to get back into a car. This truck combines poor gas mileage with mediocre performance, a great combination. It is truly gutless. Ride, handling and braking are also poor. It desperately needs a third door for rear seat access which is truly awkward. It is also helpless during Michigan winters without snow tires.

51050