Used 1998 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

20 year old truck still holds up!
By Wyatt

1998 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab SB

Just bought a 1998 dodge dakota off craigslist for $2000 with 81000 miles on it. Even for a 20 year old truck it felt great before I even went to an auto shop. I changed out the oil filters, air filters and all 4 tires which is standard everytime you buy a car. I live in California so I of course did an engine diagnostic because you have to SMOG every other year. The tags on this expire next year so it's still current. I gotta say, it's my proudest buy and quite a steal for my first truck. It's a 20 year old automatic so no cup holders and no automatic door locks. That's okay though. I am gonna do some more work on it and eventually put a new stereo, speakers and custom paint job on it. Maybe even a custom center console if possible. I am very happy with this buy. I highly recommend this vehicle if anyone ever comes across it.

Love it!
By Eli Gills

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

So I bought this truck about 6 months ago. It was purple and had the v6 in it. As well it was a flood truck but I needed something in a pinch and I’m a big Mopar guy so i went with it. Overall the truck by itself cost me about 1500 bucks and I can’t be any happier. I put 400 bucks into tune up and fluid changes and ever since I haven’t had a single real issue. It’s got an air bag light, a brake light, low washer fluid light and the check engine light on it ( tho all these are prob due to bad relays from the flood.) however I haven’t noticed an issue with drivability. My mother owned one of these before and I kinda fell in love it with when she had hers and I know why. The truck has a smooth ride, I upgraded the exhaust and it’s nice and loud but when I roll up the windows it’s quiet inside. I initially wanted the v8 but the v6 does really well it handles anything I use it for. It’s made me love the v6 more then I thot I could. I won’t be selling anytime soon. Even with the 196,000 miles already on it, it doesn’t feel like it’s aged at all, the motor alone is worth ever penny.

1998 Dodge Dakota fleet vehicle 3.9, 5 speed
By Mike

1998 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab SB

Great truck with some quirks. Once I redone the ground wires under the hood and did a full tune up it ran like new. Does not hurt to know some basic mechanics when buying one almost 20 years and over 200,000 miles but seems to be strong and dependable.

Overall Decent Car
By Brian

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Owned my pickup since 2009. Overall pleased, enough to keep it anyway. It will go a few years without needing any major repairs, and then several things will need work in short order. I've replaced fuel pump, exhaust system, distributor cap and associated parts, window wash pump, and brakes twice. So not bad, but then I have a load of small problems: check engine light's been on since 2010 (I was told it's due to a minor transmission issue that might cost a lot to fix with minor payoff), the ABS and emergency brake lights come on when I take a highway ramp (but no effect on driving or braking), the ceiling lining started to come loose two years ago, rust is bubbling the paint over the left rear wheel well (seems to be common for this model year), and most annoying of all, the springs supporting the driver's seat broke loose of their moorings which causes the seat to sag and the metal frame parts to poke me uncomfortably. And there doesn't seem to be an easy way to repair the seat and it's attached to the passenger seat & center console which will make replacement a major hassle.
On the other hand, I think it handles great, the brakes do not disappoint, the engine is fairly quiet and smooth, and I've driven it on several road-trips from 3,000 to 5,000 miles at a time without complaint. It has a light rear end, which can be a danger in rain or snow. I've found that tires with good traction will overcome handling problems in the rain, but if you live where it snows much, I would recommend 4WD. Basically, if you need a no-frills reliable vehicle and don't mind minor problems that crop up but won't interfere with driving function, you will likely find this truck to be acceptable.
Update, 2017: I still have the truck. Never got the front seat fixed or replaced. No major repairs done, but the power steering pump has a leak and needs to be replaced. Rack & pinion and a few other items need to be repaired for long term function, but still runs on a day to day basis. Used in several residential moves during the last year.

Stay away from dodge
By celticstallion

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dodge has 113k miles and is ready for the grave. Despite me treating this truck gently it still wants to quit. Since I had it I have replaced the throttle body sensor, crankshaft sensor all relays, distributor with cap rotor, spark plugs and wires, ignition coil and fuel pump. So after replacing all this it still dies at unexpected times and once you fix one thing and think you have a handle on it something else will quit.It drives like crap its slow and the transmission is a 4 speed cheap piece of garbage. In my opinion the 6 cyl engine is useless because its so weak it struggles to move the truck. I cant imagine what a 4 banger would be like. Its just a poor design from top to bottom.