Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews

Used Silverado 1500 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...29

Pros
Cons

287000 miles Minimal Issues

KB, 05/03/2018
4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased this used in 09 with 100k miles and it has been very reliable. The motor does not drink oil like the old 350 motor and the oil color has always been a bright yellow. The transmission was still smooth at 287k mi, a/c still worked fine. the following parts needed to be replaced:Fuel pump, brakes and rotors, spark plugs.

Almost the perfect truck

mobey, 06/05/2011

I bought my truck with 6 miles on the odometer in March 2004. It was recalled for the instrument panel. Very good experience there. While it was under warrenty, I had it in for new Cats and O2 sensors, three times, but never again since. The last warrenty items I had replaced were the comfort control switches. I now have 190,000 miles on the truck and, get this....I'm replacing the brake pads for the first time, and the rotors have very little wear. This is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Z71 Bliss

Mark, 07/16/2010

My truck is a daily driver in the city but also a back road wonder on the weekends. In the winter I use four wheel drive for duck hunting with my sons in the country. It has been from Texas to California and many Colorado trips. It look good in the field, but when it is cleaned up it looks good under the city lights. Safe, dependable and a real pleasure. Maybe the best vehicle I have ever owned, out of maybe 11-12 cars and trucks.

Ad
Build Your Silverado 1500
Select Color:

2004 Silverado XCab 5.3 with Engine Issues

Sky, 08/20/2015
4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought truck new. Put the majority of miles on the truck between 2004-09; then, as planned, kept it as my 'chore' truck. 4-5k miles per year, max. Always light duty use. In 2013, at 79k miles the Head cracked - coolant in engine. $4500 repair. Dealer. There is a 'service bulletin' which implies a manufacturing defect, issued in 2006. CasTech Heads (see #06-06-01-019B bulletin). 1250 miles and 8 months later the 'check oil' light came on. The engine was 4-ish quarts low on oil! So I took it back to the dealer (I was working out of the area at the time so very little use). Their response? Can't find anything wrong; we must have forgotten to put the oil in the engine properly after the repair. Seriously? You told me that after a $4500 repair that your mechanic can't put oil in the engine? Bottom line: they didn't know and they weren't going to do anything. So I continued to drive it - very light duty. 20 months later with 84,600 miles: I check the oil (about 3800 miles since the 'top off at the dealer) and: down 3.15 qts! I take it directly back to the dealer. Dealer won't take responsibility AT ALL. I'm supposed to do an every 1000 mile 'oil consumption' test where I take it in for a top-off to see how much oil it has consumed. Not 1 mile over 1000 miles or start again! All this is to get GM to pay. The dealer assumes no liability for its work (and I might add, premium cost for the repair). Upshot: Be careful of these engines. There is a lot out there about oil consumption on these engines. This one DOES NOT have the 'stop cylinder' technology, but the engines have the same problem over multiple years. Plenty about the head and oil consumption out on the internet. In terms of the rest of the truck, its been ok, but the interior dash buzzes incessantly at certain RPMs. I noted on several of the trucks that interior fit was awful; fortunately I did not experience this. Paint is generally ok. No problems with the tranny, wheels, steering, AC - but it only has 84k miles. So much for buying a quality vehicle I could drive for 25 years (which was the plan).

No planned obsolescence here!

CheapDeep, 08/22/2017
4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It seems like we live in an age where everything is designed to wear out and be replaced. This truck is the only thing I can think of that is made to last. It has 200k and everything works perfectly. It also drives like it just left the showroom. The few rare times something does break, the part is usually cheap and easy to repair. I bought this as a work truck but I drive it more than my luxury car. The design is very simple. No fancy computers or dials that take three steps to change the radio or AC. Form definitely follows function which just doesn't happen anymore. I have to tip my hat to Chevy for designing something that will outlast everything else I own.

Cheap build quality

Nancy, 08/06/2008

I have always loved the Silverado but I have come to believe that they are getting more and more cheaply built. My last two Silverados have had the same airconditioner problem by the second year. My 2004 with 53000 miles just had the rear differential cover replaced because it rusted right through the middle. (And, this truck is kept garaged and underbody washed in the winter. It is'nt even my primary vehicle.) The metal used for the differential cover might as well have been aluminum foil. Not even a coat of protective paint. As I look at my 2004 compared to my 2002, I see a lot of cheaply done work and parts in the newer model. That's why my next truck will be a Toyota

Good 4x4

CP, 03/06/2010

I purchased used with 40,000 miles for the 4x4. I live in a semi-rural area and the roads don't get treated. I have the 5.3 V8, and G80 locker. For the two months I've driven, it has worked like a charm. Been using the AutoTrac 4x4 which is the button system that goes into 4WD Auto, which is AWD. Had to dig the wheels out a little when I drove into 3' high snow in my driveway. I rocked the truck back and forth a couple of times and was out. I get around 20 mpg on country roads and highway. I don't drive heavy footed, usually 65-75 hwy. Only thing that I find annoying is the wipers can't be lifted off the windshield when it snows, because of the hood design. Takes longer to clean the window.

Good Truck, but...

Matt, 02/03/2010

I purchased new in late 03. Has been a very good truck for me. About 1000 miles a year I would tow loads that are 75% of max according to the tech manual. No issues on engine or trans for 50k miles. In fact, it towed like a dream. At 53k miles I lost my transmission. No excessive driving or cliff jumping. It broke without warning coming out of a church parking lot and costs me $3k to replace the entire transmission. IMHO there’s no excuse for a transmission to break at 53k miles. Truck is out of warranty so the cost is on me. Chevy dealership says, “so sorry. What a rare oddity to lose a trans at 53k miles”. I’ll remember that at trade-in time.

04CLUNKER

pavermanter, 02/05/2004

overall i really like this truck, i am alongtime ford man. the only thing keeping this truck from being a "10" is the "CLUNKING" shifts that is so popular GM trys to say this is normal, but we all know that is bologna!! They really should stand behind their 29,000 dollar vehicles!

Former Ford Owner

Northwoods, 08/12/2004

I have previously owned 3 new Ford F- 150's. I was looking for a change. I went to the Toyota dealer to buy a Tundra. I was not impressed with the ride and comfort of the Toyota. I was on my way to buy another Ford. I passed a Chevy Dealership and took a test drive. I was very very impressed with the size and comfort of the Silverado. You can actually put people in the back seat. P.S. My wife loves it. Finally, I tow a 23 foot boat and this truck just eats up the hills. Great vehicle for work and comfort, the combination can't be beat.

12345...29