Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews

Used Silverado 1500 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...58

Pros
Cons

Cheap build quality

Nancy, 08/06/2008

I have always loved the Silverado but I have come to believe that they are getting more and more cheaply built. My last two Silverados have had the same airconditioner problem by the second year. My 2004 with 53000 miles just had the rear differential cover replaced because it rusted right through the middle. (And, this truck is kept garaged and underbody washed in the winter. It is'nt even my primary vehicle.) The metal used for the differential cover might as well have been aluminum foil. Not even a coat of protective paint. As I look at my 2004 compared to my 2002, I see a lot of cheaply done work and parts in the newer model. That's why my next truck will be a Toyota

Good 4x4

CP, 03/06/2010

I purchased used with 40,000 miles for the 4x4. I live in a semi-rural area and the roads don't get treated. I have the 5.3 V8, and G80 locker. For the two months I've driven, it has worked like a charm. Been using the AutoTrac 4x4 which is the button system that goes into 4WD Auto, which is AWD. Had to dig the wheels out a little when I drove into 3' high snow in my driveway. I rocked the truck back and forth a couple of times and was out. I get around 20 mpg on country roads and highway. I don't drive heavy footed, usually 65-75 hwy. Only thing that I find annoying is the wipers can't be lifted off the windshield when it snows, because of the hood design. Takes longer to clean the window.

Good Truck, but...

Matt, 02/03/2010

I purchased new in late 03. Has been a very good truck for me. About 1000 miles a year I would tow loads that are 75% of max according to the tech manual. No issues on engine or trans for 50k miles. In fact, it towed like a dream. At 53k miles I lost my transmission. No excessive driving or cliff jumping. It broke without warning coming out of a church parking lot and costs me $3k to replace the entire transmission. IMHO there’s no excuse for a transmission to break at 53k miles. Truck is out of warranty so the cost is on me. Chevy dealership says, “so sorry. What a rare oddity to lose a trans at 53k miles”. I’ll remember that at trade-in time.

Ad
Build Your Silverado 1500
At a Glance:
  • 8 Colors
  • 1 Trims

04CLUNKER

pavermanter, 02/05/2004

overall i really like this truck, i am alongtime ford man. the only thing keeping this truck from being a "10" is the "CLUNKING" shifts that is so popular GM trys to say this is normal, but we all know that is bologna!! They really should stand behind their 29,000 dollar vehicles!

Former Ford Owner

Northwoods, 08/12/2004

I have previously owned 3 new Ford F- 150's. I was looking for a change. I went to the Toyota dealer to buy a Tundra. I was not impressed with the ride and comfort of the Toyota. I was on my way to buy another Ford. I passed a Chevy Dealership and took a test drive. I was very very impressed with the size and comfort of the Silverado. You can actually put people in the back seat. P.S. My wife loves it. Finally, I tow a 23 foot boat and this truck just eats up the hills. Great vehicle for work and comfort, the combination can't be beat.

12345...58