Used 1999 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

1999 and here it is still running in 2017
By Jaywil

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

First off. Cheap plastic . Alot of the truck inside is cheap "snappable" plastic inlcuding the console which has a fix available online. The engine compartment also has a decent amount of cheap plastic. Especially above cooling fan and around radiator. However , my gas mileage is great, only big fix is a new fuel tank , fuel neck and fuel pump_ also new flywheel_ starter alternator_ brake light lens and that's about it. Had rear main seal replaced while flywheel was changed. Truck is pretty damn reliable after only having it over two years and it being a used vehicle. Almost 199k miles at the moment and I've had it since about 178k

LOVE this truck
By Serrano

1999 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck about 10 years ago. It has been a lifesaver. Four years ago on a crowded super fast highway that ran through town some maniac going 90+ tried to run my truck and a small SUV off the road. The two of us sideswiped each other and the perpetrator got away BUT my little truck did not spin out of control or tip over. It could have. Both vehicles and all occupants were safe and sound and all I got was a 4-inch dent and a lost side mirror (replaced that). The flexibility of this truck has been phenomenal. I plan on (when the time comes) to simply put a new engine in it. But so far, no need. Two weeks ago I easily (for me) replaced the pulse switch board for the wiper blades but that in essence was all. It is good on oil. I take care of it; give it regular maintenance check ups. No major issues. Yes, did have an alternator fail a month ago but the original alternator was already 17 years old. The paint job has held up too. I did have some AC issues that were handled by two different mechanics but given how heavily I use that part, totally understandable. This truck has been a workhorse in every sense of the word. It is my main commuting truck now and I used to use it for my job which required 30-40K miles of driving annually. It is a stick shift and for that reason I can scoot out of the way when I need to. One update: windshield wipers kept dying on me so I researched it on You Tube and got a 21.00 part and replaced it myself. All good now.

Bullet-proof engine and tranny, but....
By hamhock

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

I've owned this truck for 8+ years and am generally happy with it. I replaced the alternator in 2006, but the biggest problem has been the fuel pumps. As of 2011, the truck is on its 3rd fuel pump. Local mechanic says Chevy/GMC fuel pumps burn out every 5 years or so, and as the fuel tank needs to be dropped (or bed removed), it is a very expensive ($700-$1200) repair due to labor costs. Recently, an exhaust manifold bolt failed due to corrosion, but it was a quick and easy fix.

Overall, this truck is pretty solid. It's old, but the engine, clutch and transmission have been trouble-free. It would cost too much to replace, so a few hundred bucks a year sure beats a monthly car payment.

Interior/exterior styling. Amazing HVAC (freezing A/C, inferno-like heater). Lotsa headroom for such a small truck. Decent MPG (22 city).

Shoddy fuel pump design causes frequent failures (every 5 years according to my mechanic). Parking brake cable needs regular lubrication to function properly. Gutless, especially with A/C on.

The Mule
By The Mule

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

Fairly well buit truck although I like Ford. Everything with this truck is well build and fairly easy to take care of and operate.Also the v6 vortec. Easy to control larger 2-3 horse, horse trailers.

The cup holders in the door for 3 person ride. Extra compartment in the arm rest, also the oil pressure gauge and volt gauge.

Some engine access limitations such as spark plug access and the petcock on the radiator that needs certain tool to open.

Favorite truck
By uncle dave

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought with 89k miles on it. Now pushing 128. Only problems other than general maint. were universal joint at 110k and tps at 127k.Have had more people comment on this truck than my BMW.With 4 cyl. it's no hot rod, but it gets me to work every day without fail and averages 21-22 mpg around town. Will drive it till it dies or I do.

Style, reliability, comfort.

An LT1 would be nice, but then the gas mileage would suffer.