Used 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews

Used Colorado for Sale
Select your model:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

First New Chevy

fozcat, 12/31/2014
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Review updated 12/31/16 This truck replaced a Nissan Frontier. I don't need a full size truck, so sadly my alma matter, Ford, was out as they killed off the Ranger 3 years ago. I have had the truck a week and like it. We drove a 700 mile trip through the mountains and averaged 23.5 mpg going 70 mph with 4 people and bed full. The Nissan on the same trip averaged 19.3 mpg. Truck is very quiet and comfortable. The fit and finish inside and out are first rate. I have not used the 4X4 or towed yet, but with 7000 lbs capacity it should do well. Overall, after a week and 1000 miles, I would recommend it. I was going to wait on the diesel, but after comparing potential costs vs. return, the gas V-6 was the better buy. Update 12/31/2016 The bad - I have owned this truck 2 years now and 27K miles, and sadly it has not been reliable and I just can't recommend the Colorado. It has been in a Chevy dealer for warranty repairs for over 35 days of the 2 years of ownership. Problems include, OnStar Module, 4WD electronic transfer case replaced twice, hood vibrating at highway speeds replaced twice and still has minor vibration, poor paint quality on roof, engine spark knocking under light load, transmission has higher pitched hum at 50-60 mph and hard shifting under light load, heater completely went out, A/C went out twice, ignition had to be replaced do the key getting so hot you could not touch it, brakes squeaking when cold, and the most annoying, a clicking sound in the steering column that GM engineering has yet to come up with a fix for that is related to the airbag, not to mention multiple recalls. The bright spot has been the dealer support, Autosport Chevrolet in Hackettstown NJ. They have been very helpful through all these problems and kept in contact with GM engineering to resolve most of the issues and I can't say enough good things about them! The good - The reasons I purchased the truck have led me to want to try and keep it with the hopes that before the warranty period ends the issues will be resolved. It gets great mileage for a gas truck (been averaging 22.5 combined city/highway), its very comfortable, roomy and quiet. The infortainment and navigation are first rate. So if you decide to purchase a Colorado my recommendation is to buy the GM extended warranty. There are a lot of Colorado's on the road now and mine was one of the first ones produced, and the build quality was just not adequate, others have had good experiences with later production trucks.

Great Truck - better than I expected

Justin Tate, 07/20/2015
Z71 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Lest start with this - Mine is a Z71 with 275 70 R17 Cooper AT3 tires, a 2 & 1 lift/level kit. I test drove 2 of these set up that way (The way a truck should sit with real rubber). Other than that the typical stuff on a loaded Z71. Very clean and refined buggy, A few little tweaks would be great in the future. It rides and handles like a truck should - after the mods. Much better than the Silverado and it looks good. Comfort is great, Mileage is real world and very good - Absolutely love it. LIKES: Mileage, Power, Comfort DISLIKES: Tranny seems to search at times, No Heated Mirrors, No Electric Sliding Rear Window

New Colorado X-Cab LT 4X4 w/I4

cjbrown, 02/17/2015
LT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We primarily wanted a lighter weight pickup truck that we could flat-tow behind a Winnebago class-A motorhome. The new Colorado does this in spades. To keep weight and complexity down, as well as cost, the extended cab and 4-cyl was our best choice. The 4-cyl is very smooth and quiet as long as you are not in a hurry. If you mash the pedal or like to drive fast then this is not for you. Around town it keeps up with traffic, it is not designed for towing heavy loads over mountain passes. The new build quality is outstanding, looks very euro or japanese under the hood. The ride is very smooth and it's amazingly quiet. This one is a home-run. EDIT: Edmunds sent out a request to re-visit and update my review after two years with the vehicle. I'm still just as impressed with this as the day I bought it, it has been very good. There have been three or four minor recalls, and zero warranty claims. Absolutely no failures whatsoever. Fit and finish is excellent, no wear points. Some owners have complained about balky shifting, however I have found overall it works as designed - some fault the way it shifts up to a higher gear and locks up the TC to conserve fuel. If you're trying to mash the pedal and get it to shift down at the same time it can take longer than some expect. For around town driving I use manual mode and leave it in 4 or 5 so it cannot shift all the way to 6th. This solves that issue and it works very well otherwise. The I4 is no powerhouse, but it's adequate even on the freeway. We have since acquired a boat that is about 2500lbs on it's trailer - the truck easily pulls this load even on mountain grades. I just installed new all-terrain tires (Cooper Adventurer/Discoverer) as I wanted AT type tires from the beginning but could not get a reasonable trade in for the new take-offs, even when they were under 100miles. So after two years decided to just spend the money - it rides so much nicer than the GY Wrangler Fortitudes it comes with. All in all very happy with this truck. Oh, and have towed it a couple of thousand miles with the RV and it does just fine - absolutely zero issues. It has now traveled to four states and plenty of short-commuting miles. EDIT - 2 Hmmm...well Edmunds emailed me AGAIN to update this review. I think this is bordering on ridiculous...but whatever. Since my last edit I have added the TRIFECTA engine tune. It's a $300 programming software and a cable to connect your laptop to your OBDII port and re-programs the engine and transmission ECU (computer). What a HUGE improvement in acceleration, shifting, and driving performance. This is how GM should have tuned this little motor. An excellent option for this truck. Next I replaced the rear shocks with Bilstein 4600 series (stock height) shocks to help with towing our 2500lb boat. It didn't make much of a difference towing, but improved the overall ride so much I went ahead and ordered the fronts as well and installed them. It's kind of a bear cuz these are struts so you have to obtain a spring compressor tool (most parts stores have a tool-loan program). It's still a pretty difficult job, especially if you've never done struts before (I have, they were fairly standard). The overall ride is much better, more of the floating on air feeling, and more control overall when towing. For about $300 I thought these were well worth it too. I'm right at about 22K miles and the truck still looks and drives great. It has not been back to the dealer since it was new, for the couple of recalls, but otherwise zero warranty work done, no issues whatsoever. I love this rig. It's going to end up being the only lease car I'll buy out at the end over the last dozen or more cars I've owned. A home run baby. ;) EDIT 3: Well gee, Edmunds keeps following up on these things, wanting an update. I'm out at 3 years now, about 25K miles and still like this truck - which is amazing because normally I trade off at about 30 months - regardless of brand, even the Mercedes Benz's I've owned. So that's certainly worth noting. The whole vehicle still looks like new, I keep it up, seats are super durable, the interior surfaces are well done, and the exterior has also held up well. I got a lot of brush scratches offroading so buffed out the whole truck and waxed it and it looks like the day it came home. Mileage with the tuner is better on the freeway but less in town so I took a hit on fuel economy, but it's well worth it. Right now the only other vehicle considered would be another Jeep Wrangler, simply because I like trail running. But I don't get to do it often, the Colorado 4x4 is good for mild stuff, and it way more practical otherwise. So the truck stays. The new ZR2 has been very popular - too bad we can't retrofit some of the components into the older rigs. Well, we could, but stupid expensive and hard to get. We'll see if aftermarket catches up.

Great mid-size

Justin Kay, 12/12/2015
Z71 4dr Crew Cab LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The other reviews I have read are nowhere near my experience. I have owned this truck for a year and I absolutely love it. The fuel economy is tremendous and the overall value of the truck has been terrific. The MyLink is a little wonky at times, but the overall driving experience of the truck far surpasses that of the 2012 Silverado that I owned before this truck.

Initial cost expensive, but has proven worth it

John Adams, 08/04/2016
Z71 4dr Crew Cab 6.2 ft. SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

For those who need a pickup truck option, the Colorado is a great compromise size- wise for those who want to be able to park it in their garage, and still be able to haul a lot of stuff. The Z 71 option has everything but cooled front seats, a garage door control, auto folding rear view mirrors to make the option list complete. Drives easily and smoothly with v 6 option. Brakes solid. Interior space functional for carrying stuff inside, and back seat roomy enough for adults when needed. Not sure the folding of back seats is best arrangement, but does provide considerable inside space and it is flat. A bit pricey compared to full size alternatives, but delivers functionality of a full size with greater driving ease, particularly in parking lot. Combination of city and highway driving has produced almost 24 mpg. Only routine maintenance needed in 5 years and 44,000 miles of driving. Continues to impress with age. If you want a truck's towing/hauling capability together with driving comfort, you would be hard pressed to find a better combination among the mid-size offerings.

One of the WORST vehicles I ever owned

Joe, 04/28/2016
LT 4dr Crew Cab LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

As I write this, the truck is back in the repair shop AGAIN. Problem with the air conditioner freezing up...and in Georgia, the AC is a MUST. Have had the truck for 8 months. AC froze up last year and they replaced parts and thought it was repaired. But, this season we are back to the same problems as last year. We are also experiencing the same problems as others with the vehicle shuddering as you try to accelerate while already moving. Of course this is after you press down on the accelerator and nothing happens...until it downshifts and throws you back in your seat. Really not impressed with the gas mileage either. Small truck with 6 cyl should do better. Thought about trading it in on a full sized truck...Best offer is $6,000 less than we paid. If you really want a small truck, the interior and features are nice...but if you want performance GO BIG. We are extremely unhappy with the reliability of this vehicle.......UPDATE: We dumped this vehicle. Totally UNRELIABLE.

Waited a long time - Awesome Truck!!!

Brad Heath, 11/02/2015
LT 4dr Crew Cab LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I researched this truck for months before seeing in person and test driving. I didn't want a full-size due to my urban lifestyle but wanted the benefits of having a truck for towing/hauling when the time comes. The truck is amazing, no complaints at all. The engine, drive-train, mileage, ride, technology...etc all speaks for it self. I'm 6'3 (200 lbs) and I can fit in the truck easily with great comfort. I constantly receive compliments about her, she's a real GM gem.

Very Disappointed

T. Wallin, 12/30/2015
Z71 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

First the good: The look of the Colorado is excellent. I think it is a very attractive truck. The options are great also. The one that I owned was loaded with all of the bells and whistles. The Dealership and Service Department was great also. (I just had to see them too much.) Now the bad: I also experienced the crazy shifting and total under powering of the truck as mentioned in other posts (The one I owned had the 6 cylinder in it). Several safety recalls, and having the torque converter changed out at 3,600 miles to try to correct the shifting problem, left me very disappointed in the Colorado. The dealer that I worked with was very understanding when I informed them that I did not buy a new vehicle to stay in the Service Department. I had an old car that was paid off if this was what I was interested in. Unfortunately, I decided to trade the truck in on a different vehicle. I had the truck 8 months, and felt like I would be better off just getting rid of the headache. Hopefully Chevrolet will get the bugs worked out in the coming years, but they totally missed the mark on this truck.

Ok.... But just ok not worth the 36 K I paid!

Pascal Walker, 09/25/2015
Z71 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This was my dream truck I waited for a long time and saved and worked and saved and finally after I found it at my local dealership with everything I wanted I finally got to take it home and I've just been mildly impressesd all the electronics extras cost extra. Now my $500 a month truck payment is $600 a month. Ive taken it to the dealership 5 times in 4 months. Ill be honest my last car was a used BMW 325i. Maybe Im new to the truck market and this is to be expected. My buddy who has the Top of the Line Ford F150 Platinum 4 x4 says my truck is awesome but Ive had so many problems and for a 4 month old truck Im wondering how the hell is this thing going to make it 60 months????? My seats are ripping after 4k miles on a Z71. I would have take leather for what I'm paying. The rear end clicks when I push the gas pedal at a stand still.... answer from chevy "oh thats normal there needs to be play in the rear end" really because the 3 other late model El Camino's Ive owned never had play in the rear end! They were built 20 years ago!! I'm still a proud Chevy owner but I'm just pissed that the brand has fallen so far. Do I need to buy the Silverado Z71 that doesn't look off road worthy at all? Am I crazy The Z71 Silverado doesn't look like it could handle any sort of off road conditions. Don't even get me started about the wind damn in the front of the truck. Ive almost ripped that thing off on curbs. You want me to get this thing stuck Ill come back missing half the damn plastic just from my normal hiking spot. I asked the dealership hey can you take that off? His reply was " Oh you wanted to take this truck off road"? Well it might void your warranty? Really? Because the whole reason I bought this damn truck was to get to the trailheads I couldn't get to with my damn foreign car! Im Legitimately concerned about my truck making it to the 60 month mark. Thats not what american cars, especially trucks are built on and I feel cheated. This might be my reality, but Ill tell you this I didn't work [non-permissible content removed] to cheated for some hard earned steal and muscle that I feel I deserve.

Use caution when buying a 2015 Chevy COlorado Z71

Steve Clendenin, 10/20/2015
Z71 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I ordered a 2015 Chevy Colorado back in August 2014 and waited 93 days until it was delivered. I received my 2015 Z71 Extended Cab 3.6L on December 3 2014 and as of October 20, 2015 I currently only have 7,300 miles. I am right under 6'3" and the truck is not designed for anyone over 6' tall. I can not have my arm and elbow out the window when the windows are down and the aero dynamics makes you feel like your in a wind tunnel with the slightest breeze with the windows down. I still have not had over 19 MPG in the 10+ months I have owned this truck and the transmission is a completely new issue with not enough room here to write about. It will randomly shift between gears when driving on a flat plane. It will drop down 2 gears when you try to pass another vehicle, resulting in the RPM's to redline and the MPH not even increasing all while jerking you around the cab. I also purchased the leather - fully adjustable seats which leaves much to be desired. The seat will only lower so far and of lowering farther, it will just lean back resulting in a very uncomfortable sit and blind spots from the rear view mirror. I would not recommend anyone to buy one of these trucks without test driving it for at least a full 24 hours in every imaginable scenario you would ever be in. I am just trying to pay mine down enough and keep miles off to sell it and not loose the 3 1/2 years of saving of $14k I put down on it.

12345...6