Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 156 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Owned 2 of these, liked them both very much!!!!
By Ed Erickson

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2002 Cavalier in 2003. Had it 9 years and I gave it to my brother's teenage kid in 2012 with 277,000 miles on it. He drove it 3 more years until it died.....what a car!!! This was the LS model, gold color, automatic tranny, 4 door. The 2.2 engine (and tranny) NEVER had any issues EVER!!! The worst fix was probably wheel bearings, but heck, this car lasted past 300,000 miles, what more can you ask for?? Best car I have ever owned, and I'm 54 years old. So, then in 2012 I bought another 2002 Cavalier with 112, 000 miles on it. This was the base model and I just traded it in yesterday with 189,000 on it. This car wasn't quite as good, had major rust issues (could literally peel it off) and I had to replace all of the pipes and muffler related parts and the ABS went out on it about a year ago, so I ignored it. Still braked fine......BUT again, NO engine or tranny problems with this car. NO electric issues either (except a battery 2 years ago.....big deal). BOTTOM LINE: I would HIGHLY recommend the Cavalier as it is very durable, and on each car I spent no more than $1500 maintaining it, which is almost nothing when you consider how long I had each car. The amazing thing is: I am in Minnesota, and even if it was -25.....those cars start EVERY TIME!!!! I hope Chevy can bring the Cavalier back, if they do, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I drove both many, many miles and I got more than my money's worth.

Pocket Rocket
By Chris

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Make sure it has been properly Maintained this is the third one I've owned. A 95. That was beat when I got it. A 97 4 door 2.2 OHV very reliable car ran it for about 100.000 miles then gave it to my Son. He destroyed it and it is now on the dirt track circuit then I purchased the 2002 2 Door Eckoteck 4 cyl. Needed A timing Chain and gears VERY Noisy slapping the chain cover so I ordered the chain kit With New Waterpump and I changed it never wrecked never smoked in well maintained. OH And the only Pitfall is that Crappy GM PAINT so it got a new paint job. Same color as the original Extremely economical car Great Gas miliage very Reliable quick and Fun to Drive. No leaks no oil burn Flawless car Daily Driver and If you mash on it it will go into Tripple Didgets. I plead the Fifth!

Still going strong at 218k miles!
By patricia whitehead

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I dearly love Cavaliers. This is the second one our family has had. I bought it in 2009 for $4000. I love stick shifts and this was the second selling fetcher. When driving a good speed I can get about 34mpg mostly highway miles. With city driving I get about 30mpg. I drive a good bit every day for a good job. This car is extremely dependable. I have had very little repairs. I have replaced the alternator which I have had to replace in every car I have had. When the alternator went out mom was driving it on a road that that was farm land for miles at about 11pm at night. Things started to shut off and she was able to limp into town and coast into a parking spot. We still talk about that night. It got her to a safe place to stop. Also recently some kind of plate springs behind the clutch or transmission broke and I had to get that replace. They also replaced the clutch. It drives even better now. As for other issues there are not many. i have a oxygen sensor that needs to be replaced and the spring that roles the seat belt doesn't work that great. I have a coupe of cracks on the dash at the window that make a rattling noise some times. the cruise control works great but some times cuts out if I turn on the blinker. I also want to replace my radio. The radio area will let me put a big one in its spot. The car drives very well, good shifting and acceleration. My commute is about 40-50 min one way. I love the sun roof. The trunk is a great size and the back seat folds down if I need more room. Car looks sporty. I will probable look into a newer model the next time I need a new car. Too bad they didn't continue this line.

a great car!
By ryan sarver

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

175k miles and still going strong, has only ever had normal maintenance, this is my 2nd cavalier, my first one was a 03, I was young and dumb and was running close to 100mph, hit a phone box, went thru a fence, hit 2 trees then backed the car out of the woods and walked away unharmed, I can not complain with this car I love it

Best car i have owned..it just keeps going and ...
By todd

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new off the dealer lot. I currently have over 235K miles and still getting 24MPG city driving. It uses about 1/2 qtr every 4k-5k miles. The clutch needed replacing at around 75K due to a failure on the springs, but the replacement GM clutch is still going in the car but is showing signs of needing to be replaced again after 160k miles. The original alternator gave out at 220K miles and i was still running the original serpentine belt. Other than these repairs and the usual repairs (brakes, rotors, struts, springs,filters, plugs, ect) the car is still on its original factory parts including ball joints, tie rods, CV joints, ect. But after 14 years the car is showing its age from michigan winters and such, but is still running strong. Goes to show you if you take car of the car and do the repairs/maintanence...it will run for a long long time.