Used 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

My little calvalier
By Sirjames

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Its not a Cadillac it was not made to be. It was intended to be cheap, reliable, transportation I bought mine in 06 and its a 99 and I still own it now in 2016. I paid 2,200 dollars for it and it had 80,000 miles on it. Now it has 200,000 miles on it. Change the oil regularly and your maintenance. Things I have replaced a starter, alternator and normal wear and tear. And parts are cheap because its American. Also its the 2.2l I-4 automatic my daily driver but not my only vehicle. But I think if you take care of your car it will last in my opinion.

Only Owner
By April

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

Lowest end model--no electric windows. 5 speed still spunky for its age, can do 320 miles on full tank, a plus when gas prices soared. Normal maintenance is done on time keeping it going. Never had issues with trans or motor. Parts are breaking down in past 3 years which is inevatable; abs, A/C, wheel alignment, cluster, front end suspension but willing to replace cause it's been good to me. I wish it wasn't discontinued.

Don't Waste Your Time...
By mikearcure

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in May 2011. I had just gotten into an accident, and I needed a cheap car fast. I liked the design and comfort of the car, but there were WAY too many problems with it. My previous car was a '97 Toyota Corolla and it had no problems whatsoever. A lot of parts broke on this car, and most things that did break broke multiple times. I had to get the starter fixed 3 times. The turn signals started to blink really fast and then stopped working completely 2 times. And the engine was constantly overheating. The heat and air conditioning was also very weak. I ended up getting rid of this car after 1 1/2 years due to it needing a new head gasket. Do NOT bother with this car!!

Style, comfort, price... that's about it.

Basically ALL mechanical parts. Everything under the hood, heating and a/c systems, and the computer. Too much body roll.

The BEST FUN Car I've ever had
By botx

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Convertible

My favorite car WAS a '67 GTO convertible but when money got tight, it squeezed me even more for repairs & gas.
When replacement parts gave in, then it was time to find something 1/3 the cost.

Then in 1999, I found IT.
All fun, no misery, reliable, dealer support A++

This is an AUTOMATIC transmission

Acceleration w/o Corvette tickets One hand top down, even while driving slow - wind driven driving Front bucket seats that could be used for all day workstations Trunk big enough for golf clubs sideways, sailing gear. U-Haul hitch can pull tiny/small trailers/boats Power everything ... the cash offers I get from those that only bought the coupes in that era

Chevy got the run around on OEM batteries but that got resolved Power window motors will need to be replaced if parked outside I would love a second horn option switch, where ON would be like a freight train .. so big trucks would take more notice

Good first car.
By runforbeer

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I got my cavalier entering my senior year in high school and had it for a good 4 years. When I first got the car it had some minor repairs that had to be done from the previous owner but once I did that the car gave me almost no trouble. Just minor things here and there. The car never broke down on me while on the road and always started(except one time the starter had to be replaced) If you want reliability I say go with this car.

-Pretty good gas milage -decent sized trunk for a small car

-The front headlights weren't very good and could use improvement. -The clear coating and paint seemed to peele pretty easily off the car from the weather. The car is over 10 years old but still. -Could use a little more HP.