Used 2002 Buick LeSabre Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Buick LeSabre Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LeSabre model:

Inherited and sold this car. Amazing gas mileage!
By Sunny

2002 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is a good, sturdy car. It held up extremely well when it was backed into a pole and when it "slid off the road" into a ditch. Almost no body damage. The gas mileage is amazing! This car was definitely ahead of it's time. We inherited and sold it to a gentleman that will drive it to and from work, about 70 miles a day.

Buick Le Sabre Fan For Life.
By Rustin

2002 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my first ever Buick Le Sabre that had around 90,000 miles on it when I purchased it. I can't complain about the car at all for the mileage and it's age. The Car starts easily every time, handles easily and rides like a dream. The only real issue with mine so far is the Security Light will stay on sometime. However, I have found a way to keep this from happening. I can sometimes feel a little jerk when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd. I get around 26 or 27 mpg on short trips to town and 30-31 at least on long highway trips. The trunk is very nice and roomy for storage when going shopping and etc. I would certainly buy another Buick Le Sabre if they still made them. The seats are so comfortable that you feel that you could ride in them all day and still be at ease.

Love My Buick
By Jay

2002 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is, in my humble opinion, a GREAT vehicle. It is an ease to drive with no issue of visibility impairment. There are no "blind spots" when changing lanes. It is a DEPENDABLE vehicle. I have over 165,000 miles and it has never failed me. Contrary to popular opinion, it is WELL BUILT and ECONOMICAL. I use conventional oil which changes (including tire rotation) costs me less than $24.00. The engine still runs strong, and no current issues with transmission. The leather seats show little wear and the instrument panel is easily viewed with controls logically placed. Other than replacement of front wheel bearings, I have had no major repair costs. Yes, it does ride like an American built late 20th Century auto. It doesn't handle tight curves as well as my wife's Volkswagen. But it is, for me, extremely comfortable and durable. I have never been disappointed with my General Motors cars. Incidentally, I bought this car used -- one previous owner -- for $5,000. Best money spent.

2002 Buick LeSabre
By Scott Caton

Windows will go out...

Shockingly poor reliability
By JC

2002 Buick LeSabre Limited 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I wish I'd had the experiences I'm reading about on here. I owned two Buick Lesabres prior to my 2002 Limited-- a 1993 Custom with 223,000 miles and a 1999 Limited with 200,000 miles at trade-in. Only standard maintenance was necessary with each, never a single major repair, so I expected the same results with my new Lesabre. Basically, I got to 133,000 miles, but not before spending thousands upon thousands in repairs. I bought the car new, so everything was fine while under warranty, but soon thereafter the nightmare began. The first to go were the brakes on all four wheels around 40,000 miles. These were about $500. The next to go was the hard shifting transmission which lasted about 80,000 miles. This cost around $1500. Somewhere between 80,000 and 100,000 miles I had a the greatest number of problems, mostly electrical, but some other issues too. Exterior lighting/wiring went bad with turn signals and tail lamps. This was about a $400 fix. Lights started burning out on the climate control buttons, then the radio and steering wheel buttons. This couldn't be fixed at all short of replacing head units and switches and it would've been so costly I decided to just forgo it. Brake lines rusted out (and don't ask me how since I live in California)--$500 more. Leaking fuel injectors, poor performance and hard starting, $800 more. The blower fan stopped working--$200 more. The dash began to peel around the opening for the window defroster. I never bothered to replace. The passenger door panel started coming loose and I didn't bother with that either. Gas cap needed replacing because there was a vacuum leak. That was $90 more. The final straw was at 103,000 miles when the engine had an internal backfire in the intake manifold. The engine essentially imploded causing the plastic intake plenum to shatter, the heads to leak and the oil cap to bust off of the filler neck. If I hadn't been on a long trip and stranded in the middle of Wyoming, I'd have bought another car; instead, I had to repair at $3400. By the time I got to 133,000 the suspension was weak, the car rattled and shimmied, needed more engine work and the AC overhauled and I couldn't take anymore. Surprisingly, I didn't have the problem with window regulators like everyone else mentioned. On another note, this model of Lesabre, while having the same dimensions on paper, seemed smaller on the inside and larger on the outside than my two previous models--more trunk and good, less overall interior room--not a good move if you ask me. Road trips were not comfortable for backseat passengers and the front wasn't much better. It also seemed more plastic and cheap overall and the ride quality not as soft or cushy. The value was great and resale value excellent, but I think the 36,000 mile warranty was skimpy. I left Buick for a number of years and came back with a 2011 Lacrosse that now has 131,000 miles and runs like a Swiss watch with no repairs at all. THAT is what I expect from a Buick and my 2002 Lesabre just didn't deliver. Maybe mine was a lemon?