2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stelvio model:

It is a driver's car, plain and simple
By K Cope

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

There are more comfortable cars, ones with fancier interiors, and some with tons of high tech gadgets, but nothing under $75,000 drives like my Stelvio Ti Sport. I have owned sports cars as well as high end luxury sedans, and this is a perfect meld of the two. There has never been a car I owned which put a smile on my face and made me want to come up with excuses for which to drive. (Well, perhaps my Shelby Mustang GT350 . . . ) Whipping up and down through the gears with the paddle shifters on a twisty road while the car gurgles and pops is an absolute blast. I also considered the Jaguar E Pace and Porsche Macan, but to get the sports car experience you need to upgrade to larger engine sizes and much more expensive trim levels. (For the record, like both the Jag and Porsche very much) To date, I have had the car for six months, put 6,500 smile-filled miles on it, and have not had a single problem. Zero. I got a 10 year/125k mile warranty at a reasonable price when I bought it, so should not have too much to worry about for the next decade, other than replacing tires and paying off speeding tickets.

Great looking car with a myriad of problems
By Rick F

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

This is a great looking suv but don't believe the hype. Alfa Romeo customer service is terrible and our Ti Sport has had over a dozen mechanical and electrical problems in the first 5,000 miles. After the delling dealership promised to pick up and deliver our car for service, Alfa Romeo stopped the program. We had our car towed 60 miles to the closest dealer who had it for 3 weeks. The following problems occurred in addition to the 3 or 4 safety recalls: transmission slipping, rack and pinion steering complete failure (towing necessary), engine losing power causing us to go home in limp mode, nav system crash, outside temp probe failure, gas door outer skin fell off, headlight washer failure, and more. After calling daily, we managed to get our car back 3 weeks after it was towed to the dealer. When we got it back, the replacement steering rack is binding when turning the wheel in both directions. We want out of this quality nightmare but this junk loses $14,000 in resale value after 9 months and only 6,000 miles. Get anything else.

Awesome vehicle, will never own a BMW again.
By Randy

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Owned a BMW X-3 and X-5 prior to buying my Stelvio. Was about to go to a Porsche Macen S and drove the Stelvio, way better driving vehicle than the Macen. Have had the Stelvio for about 10 months and love driving it, especially on road trips. Will never own another BMW after owning this Alpha Romeo, it is by far a superior vehicle to the BMW. This vehicle has power to spare on the road and is fast and smooth. I can drive this vehicle all day with out the fatigue produced in other vehicles, Love It. I tell every one thinking about an Audi, BMW or Mercedes to drive an Alpha Romeo before pulling the trigger, it will amaze yo.

Air Conditioning and Acceleration Delay
By Al

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Almost a perfect crossover. The only two things I see needing improvement is the slight hesitation from a stopped position, and the air conditioning system. With a performance car, you can't have hesitation, yet at times there seems to be half to full second before the engine reacts to gas pedal. That is most important. Not so important, but of note, is the air conditioning system is not very good. The car never really gets so cold you turn the temperature gauge down, it's always fighting to stay or try to keep you cool. Not sure if it is the system or the fans don't blow enough air, but the interior of the car isn't that big that this should be an issue. First version of the suv, so i am sure these are easily rectified in 2019.

Know your priorities
By Craig Rosen

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I leased a Stelvio Ti and have a mixed bag of thoughts. The best are the drive and the look. Taste is relative but the body of the car, to me, is really beautiful. It looks like the Italian sports SUV that it is. It might be a little ostentatious but that’s for the individual to decide.

The drive is great as most people mention. If you take a test drive make sure you get on a highway so you can fully appreciate the car. It’s fast and handles beautifully— it’s a car for people that like to drive.

The tech and materials are poor. The infotainment system is so outdated. It isn’t touchscreen (neither is BMW) but the graphics are abysmal. They equate to a Space Invaders game from the 1970s. The nav system does not display traffic patterns on the map (roads displayed in green, yellow, red depending by upon traffic) and although the display is integrated into the car’s design well, is really small. Make sure you get a model manufactured recently and integrate Apple Carplay. It is not a luxury in this car, it’s a necessity if you use your GPS a lot. The system also requires a lot of steps for the most basic radio functions (like changing stations). It’s annoying.

The base radio is really flat. It’s up to you to upgrade, for $1000, to a better stereo. I didn’t. Even if you’re not an audiophile you’ll hear the difference.

The Ti, which I have, has comfortable seats. I found the Ti Sport to be too stiff and a really hard drive. The seat bolsters may hug you like a sports car, but I found them uncomfortable. This is personal preference.

All in all I love the look and the drive. You can get a great deal on them (more than 20% off) but watch out for old stock (there were also recalls, but the old stock should have been fixed). Really know your priorities- if gadgets are your thing then stay away. If driving is your thing don’t think twice about the car. Great price for a cool but flawed car.