2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: 2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL

2014 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

TDI SEL Premium Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automated Manual)

2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium, Automatic: 3 Months / 7K Miles
By jones1972 on

2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Researching The Cost:
I researched and test drove many vehicles, including Ford Fusion Hybrid, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid,
Lexus Hybrids, Honda Hybrids and even some fuel efficient Buicks.
I considered that if I was going to get a car that had great gas mileage, then the sticker price had also better make sense.
I didn’t want to pay an extra $8k for a car that would save me only $2k in fuel costs.
So, it had to make sense base upon sticker price, residual value and fuel economy.

The Passat came out ahead because the car was less expensive than the others (even loaded), and had an acceptable high fuel economy.

Drive: I love the drive of the TDI Passat. In fact, I find myself anxious to drive it to work. It’s much sportier than anything I’ve ever owned. Fuel Economy: I have about 7K miles on my Passat after three months. I track all my fuel ups with an iPhone app, and I watch my mileage closely while traveling. I’ve had 13 fill ups so far, and my average mileage has been right about 40MPG. Stereo: Well, let me tell you, the Fender system rocks the house. Hands down the best audio system that I’ve heard in a car. The sound is clean, crisp and truly envelopes the listener. Space: This car has more space than anyone could want. It’s surely the roomiest car that I’ve owned.

CONS: I wish the computer graphics were a little more updated and crisp, especially for the instrument cluster. Honestly, I like the body style of the CC better than the Passat. If they made a TDI CC, then I might just switch. I feel that the leather appointments are fairly scarce, and the plastic seems a little cheap. I wish they would equip these cars with a full size tire in the trunk instead of the donut. There is too long of a delay between starting the car and the rearview camera coming on. I wish the car had backup sensors.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review