1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Love this car
By Gio313 on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

My dad bouth this jetta from a friend he was a mechanic so the engine is upgated its a pretty fast car he passed the car on to me my sophmore year of highschool im a juniour now so i've had it for a year so far i only have given it an oil change n new tires for 150 i olso changed the window motors got them at the juck yard for 50 bucks pretty cheap if u get a jetta n u noe how to fix minor details u can go to "pick n pull" and get most of the parts relly cheap. Willing to buy another one anytime very reliable never broke down since my dad had it like 4 yrs before i did

Love This Car
By Jason on 10/30/08 11:06 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I just bought this car and it has been in the shop a couple times but it has been for small things. I love it, the appearance is awesome and is very fun to drive. I love the VR6 model, if u buy a VW then u have to buy the VR6 or the Turbo version of this, any other model is junk. There are so many performance options to this car but yes parts are expensive. My headlights are fogging up and it's 200 bucks a light and for a new key its another 200 so if i were gonna go through a dealership for these that's 600 bucks. But if u look on-line you can find lights dirt cheap. so people bashing this car look for parts on-line, you will save money.

VW Cannot Build a Reliable Car
By swall1965 on 11/08/04 10:16 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

It's sad I cannot give this car a positive review. Yes it's fun to drive and yes it's nicely appointed. However, this car has been a constant source of pain for my wife and me. Beginning the first year, the check engine light came on. Having the dealer examine it under warranty, no worries. But, as expected, 2 months after the warranty expired, the mass air sensor had to be replaced for a cost of over $400.00. While VW has admitted known issues with this part, other consistent failures have apparently existed such as issues with ignition coils and fuel injectors. All failures point to wiring issues. They made a dreadful judgement in error and built these in Mexico. Shame on VW!

Fun-but noisy
By Knickerbocker on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I live in a big city where small parking spots and tight turning radious are at a premium. The car never lacks for power and can do circles around all of the 8 cylinder taxis, as well as easily cruising at 80 MPH on the interstates. The short wheel base base makes the car very responsive, but it does cause you to rock forward and backward a little-but that is the same with any small car. One mechanical problem with the air sensor, but VW just the warranty and is paying even though I repared it two years ago. Negatives: serious wind noise and some interior parts (rear ashtry, rear cup holder, front-passenger door handle, wood grain) have jamed, cracked or just broke.

99 Jetta GLX after 3.5 years
By brianSD on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

My favorite car after owning five previous cars. Problems encountered: 1. False engine light @10000 miles. 2. Faulty brake lamp @14,000 miles, prevented shift from park to drive, fixed under warranty. 3. Sunroof liner popped out of track @15,000 miles, fixed under warranty. 3. Cracked oilpan on road dip, replaced my cost @35,000 miles. 4. A/C compressor failure @50,000 miles, replaced under extended warranty plan (bought at time of purchase). 5. Passenger front window failure @55,000, repaired and upgraded window kits installed by dealer, no cost.

Great German Car
By jettaguy on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Be Nicer!! Any car made in Mexico is gonna have some bugs. Ive had some minor issues, nothing my mechanic and I couldnt help. After 55k miles, and regular maintenence I couldnt be happier. I drive hard, and fast, I punish my engine and brakes. They've never let me down. * a note for those of you who are always in the shop... make sure that the mechanic you use is REALLY qualified to tackle what you throw at them. NEVER go to a mechanic that also services American cars too, German cars require more finesse and expert tuning. Don't trust anyone but a German Dealership to do your work on a German Car.

Needs a little TLC now and then
By vordy on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

We bought our Jetta used with 62k on it. The car is beautiful inside and out, but it does have a few flaws. Like the other reviews on this site, the front window did get stuck in the down position. The problem is not electrical, but the cheap plastic clips that attach the glass to the regulator broke, it cost $150 for a new regulator. The sunroof shade has broken off of the track and is stuck in the headliner preventing the sunroof from sliding open. The trunk light also has a mind of its own. I have never dealt with the dealer since I fix everything myself. On that note, the build quality is excellent. Wish the car was stick, the VR6 is a nice engine.

My Jetta GLX
By ssmith on 03/06/02 13:19 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

The car has been a pleasure to drive. The front seats are very confortable. The instrament lighting and the stereo rocks!