12 Tacoma 4wd, DBl Cab, 4WD, Sport, L/B
By lagunasecam on
2012 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)
I had a 2010 GMC Sierra 1500, but really wanted something smaller to drive around town. Overall a nice truck, but it has some significant cost cutting that shows through. With an MSRP of almost $35k, it is hard to believe that the 4WD selector, outside mirror, fog light, and door switches are not back-lit. Drove the truck the second day I owned it at night in a snowstorm. Had to pull over to find the 4wd switch. Just plain cheap! What could it cost to back light the switches, $10? A hood prop rod? What, another $20 for struts? No heated mirrors or rear defroster available at any price? I guess it never snows. Auto-door locks? Entune does not work wirelessly (BT) with an iPhone!
Favorite Features
Radio and sub are great. Handling is very good. Rear camera with Nav screen is outstanding.
Suggested Improvements
The truck rides nice and the exterior looks great (Sport), but the mileage is about the same as my GMC (16/19). The engine is underpowered, but ok for driving around town. Hard to imagine towing #6000 with this engine. A 4.0L with only 230HP? (My new GTI with a 2.0L has 200HP.) Where is a 6 sp transmission? I guess with no competition (only the Frontier), Toyota is happy to sell last decade’s technology. How about a 110V outlet inside the truck? Remote start option? A nice truck that could be so much better for a few hundred dollars of Toyota investment.