Checking-in at 47,000 miles
By jaazcass on
2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)
1) Sliding door not working properly: The minivan has one automatic sliding door and one manually operated sliding door. Shortly after purchase we recognized that the manually operated sliding door is not getting closed. After multiple visits at dealer service garage they told us that we should multiple times slam the door until it is properly closed. The problem is, if the door is not ajar the interior lighting is remains permanently on and it drains the battery over night. This is the second battery, which is not working anymore and I must purchased the third. 2) Brakes: All four brakes (disk and path) needed to be replaced before 40,000 miles 3) Brake noise: During turning the brakes makes noise. The service garage changed the front brakes one more time after it was replaced before, but the problem didn’t go away. 4) Safety built sensor damaged: The safety built warning light was blinking permanently until the sensor was replaced. 5) Air-conditioning: The air conditioning failed during a vacation trip. Toyota service told us that this was to be replaced anyhow due to a recall. 6) Under chassis plastic part fall of: Parts were replaced. 7) Tire Inflation Monitoring (TIM) signal: The left rear tire was replaced. Since the TIM warning light is blinking. After 3 visits to the service garage a permanent fix was not possible. Still blinking. At least they have used a high quality bulb, because I was hoping the bulb will be damaged. I try to find the fuse and deactivate the TIM,s module, because the service garage have no ideas anymore to fix it. 8) All four tires needed to replaced before 40,000 miles 9) All service and repairs was performed at authorized and certified Toyota dealer ship. My rational for buying for Sienna was, because at that time this was the only minivan with AWD, which is really important for Michigan winter driving condition. Additionally Sienna 2004 offered the Electronic Stability Control, which is an important safety feature. The price was higher compare to other minivan such as Honda Odyssey, but I was thinking that the premium price I am paying for this minivan is justified for the high quality of Toyota. At that time there was a quality image associate with Toyota. My wife, when she saw the Sienna for the first time she didn’t like the appeal of it. She told me that this minivan has a charm like “a used toothbrush”. I encouraged her to buy this minivan for the good quality and now my wife never lessons to me for car buying decisions.