2004 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: Better than my BMW

2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Better than my BMW
By Diane Quinn on

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Having lived in Los Angeles for 10 years before heading to NYC, I was familiar with the Prius before many people out on the east coast. I got one of the first 2004 models in New England in 2003 and I was actually surprised by the power, handling and roominess of this car. I bought it to do my part for the environment and I was fully prepared to make sacrifices in those areas. I never had too. The technology was bleeding edge as well with voice commands and BlueTooth (only car that had it at the time). I owned a Mercedes, BMW, Land Rover, Porsche and Jaguar in the decade before I bought this and this is my favorite out of all of them.

Favorite Features

Voice commands, navigation system (can't live without), handling, quietness, fuel economy/low emissions, quality/dependability and lower maintenance costs (not having to spend $100 on an oil change like some German car I owned before). It's all good.

Suggested Improvements

The seat divider in the front had to be replaced (covered under warranty) because the material came unglued. Just upgrade some of these little things inside. Also, the speakers on the door need stronger metal facings as they are where your foot hits it when you push the door open with your foot.