2014 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: Boring, Boring, Boring!

2014 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic w/Prod. End 11/13)

Boring, Boring, Boring!
By rickyb3 on

2014 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 11/13 (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Some journalists have referred to the Camry as an "appliance". A toaster toasts, a washer washes and a car drives. Ho Hum. Is that supposed to be it? Is that all there is for all this money we have to throw at a car purchase? After 2 Corolla Sports, (2003, 2010) that I found economical and fun to drive, this car isn't. It has a big boring car feel and absolutely no personality. Numb is the best way I can describe it. Yes, it has a nicely appointed interior, is fairly comfortable and seems to have enough power. It is better looking, especially in the front end, than its LE and XLE siblings. But that isn't enough anymore. This is just a very reliable point A to point B vehicle. Ho Hum.

The Camry has a smooth 6 speed transmission and gets off the line easily. It has a nicely appointed interior with leather trim on the seats and stitching along the dash that gives it the appearance of higher quality. The Entune system is easy to operate and calls made through the blue tooth connection come through loud and clear both ways.

The car needs some personality. The steering is numb and it just feels like a big boat. The fuel economy is way off the mark. This car is rated at 7.5L per 100KM city and 5.4L Hwy. I am in no way a speedster and this car is delivering more like 10L city and 7.5L hwy. By contrast both of my Corollas used to deliver the advertised fuel economy. What's happening, Toyota? There is no tire pressure monitoring system on the Canadian Camry and I didn't find out about this until I went to install winter tires. Toyota should be telling its customers when it strips a car of safety features. It also failed IIHS small offset crash test. I cannot recommend this vehicle.
By klotzy
on 02/16/14 10:42 AM (PST)

I think most people slightly aware of cars know what they're getting into with a Camry, so I don't see the point of emphasizing a 'lack of personality.' A proper test drive should bear this out enough to make a buying decision. And I call BS the steering on the SE feels like a 'big boat'. Seriously? I came from a high-perfomance German car to this (for work daily driver that I didn't have to worry about). It is not perfect, but definitely not floaty. Decently tight on-center during cruising.

By mred72
on 02/02/14 07:50 AM (PST)

2014.5 models have been modified to pass IIHS tests. I suggest you Google it.

By foxcraft
on 06/22/14 01:11 AM (PDT)

You bought a Toyota Camry and you expected something different than boring? I bought a used Acura RSX type S for less money. It's not boring, gets decent mpg for a sports car and is just as reliable if not more so.