Used 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Subaru Crosstrek Hybred: Total Lemon?
By Frustrated Subaru owner

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After having a Toyota for over 10 years then a Honda CRV for over 10 years with no issues, my husband and I decided to purchase a a Subaru Crosstrek Hybred 2014 which looks good on the outside (but BIG MISTAKE). By January 2015 a message appeared in the dash board whenever I started the car that said(check hill star assist). At my first service, I told the service people and they told me they did not find anything wrong, nor saw the message. I continued to drive the car with the message appearing on and off when finally in November/December 2015 more messages appeared and check engine light appeared and stayed on all the time. I made an appointment to get the car checked in November, this time they told me they fixed it and the lights went away. Within a few months after they told me they (fixed it) the messages reappeared and I brought the car back in March for them to "fix" again. I waited for about an hour and they called me and told me they fixed the problem and the messages and lights were gone. As soon as I turned on the car and try to drive off all the lights and messages reappeared, I called the service person who took the car and said they were going to check it again. After waiting for over an hour they finally told me they there was a transmission control cover problem and they would have to keep the car until June 2015 because they had to order the part. In the middle of April after not receiving an update from Subaru, I finally called and after a few choice words with the manager they told me the car will be ready at the end of April. On April Friday 29, 2015 I received a call from Subaru and they told me they changed the transmission control cover and the lights went away and every thing was fine. So I picked up the car that same day (Friday April 29, 2015). By Sunday May 1 (2 days after picking up the car) those lights that they claimed went away reappeared. I had to take the car back (May 2) and am still waiting May 17, 2015 for word on what is the problem. At this point I am very ANGRY at the run around. I got the warranty which I am using for now to "fix" the car but what is going to happen when it runs out.

Good car.. poor warrantee service from Subaru
By Evelyn

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Fun ride. After 2 years this car handles well in winter. Too small for 2 kids. Fits as much luggage as a midsize car. Subaru service departments fight hard to avoid covering anything that is covered under the extended Subaru Care warrantee. I am getting rid of it soon while mileage is low for that reason alone.

Turns out looks really aren't everything
By t krause

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I was sold on the look of this car and Subaru's reputation. My experience was rather poor. The battery died every few months. Subaru couldn't find anything wrong. If they'd told me that they put in a low-quality battery and it was a common problem then maybe I'd have believed them and kept the car. They then suspected a faulty remote start - that they had installed when I bought it. It was at the dealership for about 2 weeks - when I finally just asked them what they'd give me for it is when they really started trying to fix it (mind you I had it for 2 years and it only had about 7600 miles on it). The other cons are minor: the radio quality was noticeably poor when the heat or air conditioner was running because the noise from the blower was so loud. A great sound system wasn't something I really cared about, but the noise from the blower was so loud you couldn't hear any sound from the radio at all when the heat/air was on. You had to put the heat/air at full blast in order to get a comfortable temperature inside the car. The most distressing problem was when you would shift from reverse into drive. There was a strange delay that I've never experienced in another car. When it was ready it would "pop" and the acceleration was faster than you were expecting. It just had a weird feeling to it, not smooth.

Fun and reliable
By Renee

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Owned my car 2 years now. It's a fun car to drive, great handling, superior in bad weather and snow! Comfy interior, smooth drive, have not had any problems. Cargo space is great for a compact SUV. Only drawbacks is that the paint seems to scratch and chip easily, a few bad blind spots because of the slope of the car, and the car is a little loud once you get over 80 miles an hour. These are slight things in my opinion, but might annoy others.

two year anniversary
By Thomas Polich

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The interface with the electronics is not very good. The car handles well,, but the CVT transmission in conjunction with the hybrid makes the car baulk from start.