2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:
2014 crostrek review
By Fred Cook on 03/06/15 12:44 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Car ate tires like mad and all any of subarus representatives would say is nothing wrong with car its driving style. Original tires lasted 15000 miles second set were rated at 100000 miles but were 20% gone in 5000 miles

Cold Feet
By Carol Pastushok on 03/05/15 12:11 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 2014 subaru a little over a year ago. This past winter I really noticed how poorly the heat works. My feet and legs get so cold I'm tempted to put in a heating blanket. The service dept said..."Can't do anything...the heating system is weak" Also very noisy at highway speeds...can't listen easily to my audio books. Finally, some of these problems might be tolerable if the MPG was better than 23 using 87 octane. The service person said the computer says 26 MPG ??and it's winter.

2014 XV CrossTrek Premium Review
By Charles Marcino on 02/25/15 11:24 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

purchased in October of 2014 and have 7800 miles on the vehicle. So far so good. Had a very challenging trip to Syracuse NY in heavy snow and the little SUV took all of the heavy snow covered hilly roads within the city with no issues in addition to the 250 miles of snow covered highways. I have a bad back but the seats are comfortable and supportive. I am used to driving small 4 cylinder sedans so the pickup on the Crosstrek is no problem. The engine is a bit noisy when cold but seems to diminish as the engine warms.

crosstrek hybrid-where has the quality gone?
By ny2dc on 02/13/15 05:30 AM (PST)

I owned a subaru forester from 1999-2004...loved the car. Not the nicest looking car but I lived in Colorado at the time and it was the perfect car to commute with as well had drive to the mountains. Since then I moved back east and stuck with toyota/lexus. With the new hybrid crosstrek I thought I would give it another try. I bought the car as a demo model so I did get a great deal, but long story short I was very disappointed. I kept the car only a few months and traded it back in. What a piece of junk. First.. no where near the 29/33. I averaged 23 mpg. The interior of the car was like a toy car. Very low quality. Overall the car is a piece of junk. Beware.

New buyers disappointing experience
By badsubi on 12/10/14 18:59 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

After owning Toyotas for the last 28 years I decided to buy a 2014 Crosstrek. 3 months now and the Check Engine light is on !. Took the car to the dealer and the car needs an Oil Control Valve. Many cars have this but last at least 75k miles. My "New" Crosstrek in the the shop for days and I know this car will give problems in the future. I bought Subaru because of all the reliability hype. As I research the internet more and more, I find that they are not durable, unreliable past 50k miles. Mine broke at 7k miles, thats a smack in the face for Subaru. Don't buy it. Every make has its problems but you are better off with Toyota or Honda for reliability. Do your homework on the internet.

We call it our Subaru Rattle
By weflybye on 12/04/14 10:29 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased our Crosstrek new in 2013 and from the moment we brought it home we have had issues with interior rattles. The dealership first put extra foam in the A Pillars. The rattles continued. Next they put extra foam in our speakers grills. The rattles continued. These were rattles that passengers in our back seat could hear and were extremely annoying. After taking the car in several times we had a technician find a bolt in the dash area was rattling against the car frame. More padding put in place. As of today (December 2014) we still have an annoying rattle in the dash. We enjoy this car for all other purposes but we would not purchase a Crosstrek again.

Rugged reliability
By charlesdrive on 11/10/14 16:24 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned many previous Subaru cars in the past (most recently Impreza and Legacy) so I am used to the usual knocks against Subarus. Engine noise is a bit loud, pickup is not great but this car is safe, rugged and I like how it has a higher ground clearance which is helpful if you live in an area that gets measurable snowfall. While my Legacy handled well in snow storms it had low ground clearance which caused problems. The Limited trim with the navigation and XM radio are definitely worth the extra expense. This car is fun to drive and has a slightly different appearance from other Subaru cars. I have not gotten to drive in snow yet but it has handled well in wet weather.

Don't buy one
By 923hon on 09/03/14 15:16 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This car is crap... it's so loud while driving, with the combonation of wind and road it literally sounds like you are sitting by the wing on a airplane, that i can barely hear bluetooth call even turned all the way up. have to have a/c full blast otherwise it barely blows. it's guttless on freeway, good luck on on-ramps. gas mileage is worse than i was getting with my 94 pathfinder that was sent to scrapyard. there is no way in heck that ppl are getting anything close to 20 even. we get about 13mpg. it is the worst car ever. please do not buy one. its so awful and we are stuck with 380$ payments for the next 8yrs.

Defective Steering/Chassis
By nass2 on 08/27/14 02:09 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We recently purchased a new 2014 XV Crosstek that we had to return to the Subarau dealership 2 days later for a full refund due to unrepairable steering and/or chassis problem. The car had strong steering pull to the RIGHT. The dealership attempted to fix the car, but was unable to do so. The service adviser and technician told us that they have been having steering problems with this car. They wanted to have a Subaru engineer come out, so I requested to the alignment specs. The alignment was intentionally set to cause the car to pull LEFT to "correct" the problem, but it still pulled RIGHT. The dealer offered us a different Crosstek, which had the same problem after test driving it.

Never thought I'd buy a Subaru
By katethegreat84 on 08/08/14 19:12 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

When I first started looking at cars I never even thought to look at the Crosstrek or Subaru. As a real estate agent I wanted something nice but didn't want to go the standard issue luxury car everyone seems to drive. When a family member recommended the forester, I wasn't thrilled but went to test drive it anyway. While at the dealership I saw this little beauty and fell in love. I can cart around my clients and all my signs/lockboxes/excess Realtor stuff. But its also very comfortable and safe feeling. Being able to sit up high is a plus when you drive 20k miles a year. I highly recommend the GPS option, with it you get an upgraded sound system and a back up camera. I love my Crosstrek!