2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

2014 crostrek review
By Fred Cook

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Car ate tires like mad and all any of subarus representatives would say is nothing wrong with car its driving style. Original tires lasted 15000 miles second set were rated at 100000 miles but were 20% gone in 5000 miles

fun car good gas mileage

Fix rear suspension geometry. Alignment was perfect empty car out 2 good sized people in it and rear sags to point everyone you meet brightlights you and the rear toe goes out of spec by more than 50 points causing extremely rapid tire wear and most likely reduced drive train life.

Cold Feet
By Carol Pastushok

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 2014 subaru a little over a year ago. This past winter I really noticed how poorly the heat works. My feet and legs get so cold I'm tempted to put in a heating blanket. The service dept said..."Can't do anything...the heating system is weak" Also very noisy at highway speeds...can't listen easily to my audio books. Finally, some of these problems might be tolerable if the MPG was better than 23 using 87 octane. The service person said the computer says 26 MPG ??and it's winter.

Dashboard organized wth minimal distractions. Nice interior size and visibility. Good acceleration, though noisy.

Improve floor heating. Better insulation to reduce highway/wind noise...this might even draft on feet.

2014 XV CrossTrek Premium Review
By Charles Marcino

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

purchased in October of 2014 and have 7800 miles on the vehicle. So far so good. Had a very challenging trip to Syracuse NY in heavy snow and the little SUV took all of the heavy snow covered hilly roads within the city with no issues in addition to the 250 miles of snow covered highways. I have a bad back but the seats are comfortable and supportive. I am used to driving small 4 cylinder sedans so the pickup on the Crosstrek is no problem. The engine is a bit noisy when cold but seems to diminish as the engine warms.

All wheel drive seems to be doing its job. Difficult Northeast winter so far has been tamed by my Crosstrek. Mileage averaging around 30mpg in combined highway and city driving. Easiest oil filter location I have come across in all the cars I've driven. For once I don't need to be triple jointed to change an oil filter on one of my cars.

I wish there was a little bit more storage. I always carry a first aid kit, paper towels, window deicer and stuff like that. right now I have to carry it in a bin and leave in the rear section. Be nice to have a hidden area near the spare tire to keep this stuff.

crosstrek hybrid-where has the quality gone?
By ny2dc

I owned a subaru forester from 1999-2004...loved the car. Not the nicest looking car but I lived in Colorado at the time and it was the perfect car to commute with as well had drive to the mountains. Since then I moved back east and stuck with toyota/lexus. With the new hybrid crosstrek I thought I would give it another try. I bought the car as a demo model so I did get a great deal, but long story short I was very disappointed. I kept the car only a few months and traded it back in. What a piece of junk. First.. no where near the 29/33. I averaged 23 mpg. The interior of the car was like a toy car. Very low quality. Overall the car is a piece of junk. Beware.

Car rack

Mpg, upgraded interior

New buyers disappointing experience
By badsubi

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

After owning Toyotas for the last 28 years I decided to buy a 2014 Crosstrek. 3 months now and the Check Engine light is on !. Took the car to the dealer and the car needs an Oil Control Valve. Many cars have this but last at least 75k miles. My "New" Crosstrek in the the shop for days and I know this car will give problems in the future. I bought Subaru because of all the reliability hype. As I research the internet more and more, I find that they are not durable, unreliable past 50k miles. Mine broke at 7k miles, thats a smack in the face for Subaru. Don't buy it. Every make has its problems but you are better off with Toyota or Honda for reliability. Do your homework on the internet.

Drives very well, CVT is OK if you are not planning on drag racing. Cant say much since it only lasted 3 months without major repairs.

Go bankrupts.