2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:
Disappointed with my first Subaru
By ndw on 06/28/14 16:54 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've actually had an entirely different experience with my Crosstrek Hybrid, other than I can agree with another user's problems with the navigation. There are so many rattles, all over the car. The worst is with the plastic covering the speedometer and tachometer displays. People who ride in my car say things like, "Doesn't that noise drive you crazy?" Mine was delivered in November, so I wonder if it's early off the manufacturing line and those problems have been worked out. Subaru has been most unhelpful in resolving my issues - this will be my last Subaru.

Great car!
By davennc on 06/16/14 18:52 PM (PDT)

I've had my XV Crosstrek hybrid for two months now and have been extremely happy with it. I've been getting 35 mpg around town and about 38mpg hwy, which is double than my 2003 Baja. Comfortable ride, minimal road noise, a lot of get up and go from a stand still, & the CVT transmission has been smooth. I've had several people (including a police officer pull up to me) to ask me about the car- "I didn't know Subaru made a hydrid." If you're looking for Prius like mileage, than buy a Prius; Although you won't have the awesome AWD of a Subaru, headroom, legroom, cargo carrying ability, nor will your Prius be able to get out of its own way in a sticky traffic situation.

As near to perfect a car as we have ever owned!
By tradedcmax on 04/05/14 17:32 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We got this car on a whim, and have not looked back since. It is as perfect a car as we have ever owned. There is nothing about this car that we don't like. Visibility and ground clearance, with seating height and ability to see top the list. Headlights and standard fog lights only make it better. Add in all wheel drive, and standard features like a back up camera, HD radio, plenty of people space, leather seats, etc. and you will fall in love with this car. It is big enough and not too big. The MPG after only 500 miles is running 25MPG. I'm sure this will improve as time goes on. But even at 25, it is more than our smaller suv we traded in for this car. You will love this car.

Poor Heat Ouptput
By jagerhood on 03/27/14 06:09 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I'll start off my review with the cons, although I really do like my car. I'm not a car expert, but thought I could give my feedback to real world drivers. Bought the car early Dec and driving through a Cold NJ winter! That being said I have not ever been warm enough in this car!! The fan is Loud but there is not a whole heck of a lot of heat coming out especially on the floor!! I hate the Radio, but my iPod music sounds Great! I also think there could be more storage compartments as well as an armrest for the driver. Finallly, not lovin the black on black on black interior. You see every speck!! The "ivory" was not an option - that would have been black in a week.

Traded a turbo monster, and haven't looked back
By mike_in_nepa on 03/19/14 06:12 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

For the last 10 years, I've had various turbocharged vehicles, some of which were modded. I grew tired of temperamental turbos, having too much power in slow traffic, and spending ungodly sums of cash fueling them up. I just needed a reliable AWD vehicle that can get me around in the mountains throughout the winter months, ground clearance, get good fuel economy, and can stand up to my outdoorsy lifestyle. So far, I have 1000 miles and have been very impressed with this vehicle. I find it very peppy, and find the 145 hp rating deceiving. This climbs up mountain roads feeling sprightly, and never gives even a hint of losing steam. At 75 mph, I get about 30-32 mpg. Love it.

Better than expected
By subiedriver6 on 02/19/14 04:44 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have been sold on Subaru for many years, but this is a change from my usual purchase of a Forester. The engine is just average in regard to performance, but exceptional in gas mileage, averaging 29 in rural back road driving. The seats are very comfortable and the cabin seems much more roomy compared to the Foresters I have had in the past. The doors are large and provide easy in/out access. The exterior styling is aggressive and has received a lot of compliments, while the interior is more just utilitarian and the radio readout is disappointing. Overall, the more I drive it, the better I like it.

not very hybridy (so far)
By fried003 on 02/12/14 10:59 AM (PST)

Not getting the suggested MPGs so far during a cold winter; hoping it improves. Car rarely runs in "green" power based on the indicator. Otherwise it's decent enough/comfortable. I got the touring model, which has all the bells & whistles, some of which I don't understand, such as the entertainment system. But it has everything I'd ever want in a vehicle + other stuff. But, so far, it's not fulling the primary expectation.

XV Hybrid Gulf Coast
By ts45 on 02/09/14 05:53 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

XV Hybrid since 12/28/2013, Satin White Pearl, St.trim. Our first Subaru, had several Honda's in the past..My wife is main driver, have taken plenty of opportunity to drive myself. We are really happy with our purchase, test drove the 2014 Forester and 2014 non hybrid XV, both nice but were sold on the Hybrids ride and refinement. The base Audio system has been nice, a good quality CD recording sounds fine, a bad CD one, bad… Blue tooth is working well, takes a little time to Pair.This is our first CVT Transmission, very impressed, love it. Hill climbs are really smooth and quiet, no sudden gear change, plenty of torque, love the CVT. Have observed Gas MPG 33+, about 50/50 City/HGWY.

I Love THIS car!
By holderad on 01/26/14 19:37 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my 2014 Plasma Green Crosstrek Hybrid. My one word description: Awesome! The hybrid system works significantly better than any hybrid I test drove. It is used for power / torque augmentation more than fully powering the car most of the time. I think Subaru under-reported their MPG figures on purpose. The car is not even broken in, and I'm getting almost 38 MPG highway and so far about 31.7 MPG with downtown driving. The car does some kinda magic with the CVT and that electric motor. It is seamless. The car has "the pull" at all speeds that it's all gas brother just doesn't. I mean, you can feel the surge at highway speeds when you stand on it to pass. The symmetrical AWD is fantastic!

Wow, I Get To Be The First Reviewer
By the_craw on 01/26/14 15:37 PM (PST)

I purchased the Hybrid Touring about a month ago, and have over 1,400 miles on it. For context, I live in the Northeast, and the weather has been brutal pretty much each day since I've owned it. The car drives really nicely. It is quiet, and the steering has good feedback without being overly stiff. It also has a nice exterior look. Traction has been great. As far as the mileage, it has been disappointing. It has averaged about 27 MPG. Like I said, the weather has been really cold, and it is only 1,400 miles, so that might be holding it back. Even with highway only trips I have not been able to average over 29MPG, and I'm not a super fast driver.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek in VA is:

$135 per month*