Used 2006 Scion xA Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Scion xA - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:

Love It!
By Kenneth Gardner

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I really like getting behind the wheel of my '06 Scion xA. I have to get used to the front wheel drive. The only thing that I am missing is there is no space for beverage containers and no cruise control. The fuel mileage is very, very good.

The radio controls on the steering wheel and the way the Scion xA handles in the mountains.

Add cruise control and somehow make room for more beverage containers.

Scion xA, Purchased Recently
By George

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fine. I got used to the center pod dashboard quickly. The ONLY thing I could wish for, would be a 6th gear. At 80 mph, with a 5-speed manual, the engine is turning 4,000 RPM. That's fine, it has a 7,000 RPM redline, but there's no need to spin it so fast. There is no need to downshift on the highway. I drive in commuter traffic, 75-80 mph. In mixed driving, I get around 35 mpg.

The 5-speed shifts nicely and the package handles nicely. The brakes are fine without antilock.

Give it a 6-speed manual, or taller gearing (reduce engine RPM in top gear), for better gas mileage.

Bad Gas Mileage
By Russell Watters

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

The window sticker showed 31 mpg city and 38 mpg highway. I have never even come close to that. The best I have gotten is is 23 city with the air off, 20 with it on and 27 on the highway. This car has been back to the dealer several times to check it and a Toyota rep came out last time. They say, "its only an estimate" too bad, you loose and we won't do anything about it. My other car, a 2001 Honda CR-V, get 27 mpg, need I say more. Don't buy this car for the gas mileage stated, it is 34% less than that.

Tell the truth about the gas mileage. Then consumers won't get ripped off by false information and can make a fair determination.

I Love My xA.
By John

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first car i've ever bought. It's fun, it does what I need, and it's a good start if you're going to upgrade your ride.

The color choices, the iPod hookup, the wheel, seats, interior size/shape, and availability of TRD parts.

Offer a bigger engine and a turbo. I hate seeing people over 30 and 40 driving them down the road too.

Good Bang for the Buck
By BCSDAPD

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Scion xA is a great little car with a few minor exceptions. Its gas mileage has been around 35 mpg, with mostly city miles. I have found the center mounted guage cluster better than traditional driver side. Its ride is smooth with very easy to reach control locations (audio, heat/AC, shifter knob, windows). I am 5'9" and sit just right inside. It has clear 360 degree views with little to no blind spots. It is perfect for scooting around town where performance is not an issue. I could see how large people could find it a bit cramped in leg/steering area. It has lots of head room though! I WOULD NOT take this on an extended road trip. Its RPM's do get into the 3,000's above 55 mph and gas goes fast with sluggish passing power.

The style, center guage cluster, city gas mileage, seating position ( high SUV-like), hatch, standard features list, and price.

Improve its highway driving. Add a sixth gear (manual) or tinker with the current gear ratio of the transmission.