Used 2006 Scion xA Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Scion Xa - Consumer Reviews

2006 Scion xA Hatchback

View reviews for a specific xA model:

Excellent xA!
By xajohn

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

After owning various small cars: - '56 VW bus - Ducati 160 - 1956 Chevy Carryall (stovebolt 6 - $25 very used) - Fiat 1100 R - 2nd car best, Dunlop's, non-syncro 1st led to next car (ex could not figure out 1st) - Toyota Corolla (2TC hemi 1600) only lasted 439,000 miles! - Plymouth Champ (8 speed 1600) - '74 Bug - '85 RX-7 (oh well - sports car days) - '91 Geo Metro - 56 mpg until vacuum lines died - Now driving '04 scion Xa (154,000 miles so far) Wonderful, the best of the lot as to handling, seating, view out (although rear blind spots.) Optioned w/ rear anti-sway bar, front tower brace, handles like a go-cart, twice the power compared to the Metro

Favorite Features

1) Speedo pod placement allows installation of 100 watt 11 band amateur radio tranceiver (call Europe direct ...) 2) Nimble, great handling 3) Love the 4500 rpm power band 4) Factory cruise control (required in Florida) 5) Style 6) Looks great with my hand-built mahogany kayak on trailer behind

Suggested Improvements

1) Higher 5th gear, 3800 rpm @ speed limit 2) A/C a little weak for S. Florida 3) Rear bearing failure @ 100-120 K ($350 / wheel to repair) 4) How about better color selections ...

Great Car
By rodgerterrey

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have been looking for a O.K. priced mpg 2 wheel F.W.D. ...I have had 4x4 trucks, off road "ROCK CRAWLERS" & they all get poor mpg 10 to 13 was best!!!! I have gotten out of "OFF ROADING" &wanted a good ,fun , reliable, car for myself & after much, much, much reserach I bought a "SCION XA" & I'm loving it!!!!!! I have found after driving it for 5mo. there is a awfull glare off the dash (after getting used to the speedo location) so I bought a "DASMMAT" cover & had all windows tinted....MUCH BETTER....

Favorite Features

M. P.G. s!!!!!!FUN TO DRIVE!!!!! price of gas-only 11 gal. very roomy for such a "toy" sized car!!!!

Suggested Improvements

poor placement of cup holders-can get used to-!!! poor placement of speedo-can get used to- way too much use of plastic!!!!!!

Great little car
By j

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been the BEST car I've owned. Yes, it's little. Yes, it's basic. But if you want something that is awesome on gas mileage--39-40 mpg mixed and extremely reliable, this is your car. I have put over 86,000 on my XA w/o any problems. It handles great in the snow w/ decent tires, you can park anywhere and it always started--even when it dipped around 30 below.

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

cruise control

Was liking it, until
By cfeather

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this used with 18K on it. The car was filthy but cleaned up well and had been used for city driving. I have a new XD and needed something economical for work since I only get 30 cents per mile reimbursement. I get about 34 mpg with this, not as good as the 43 I can pull from the XD. It was good the first 35K, then a retainer fell off the Toyota brake pad and I had to replace the front brakes because they were noisy. And then at 36K the right rear wheel bearing went. That's way too early for a Toyota. So I'm wondering what will go at 38K.

Favorite Features

Design, very practical, previously Toyota quality.

Suggested Improvements

No longer made, so what's the point of suggesting? I find parts are much more expensive and harder to find for the Scion vehicles than other Toyotas. Buyer beware! I had to replace the battery and no big box store stocked it. It was special order from the dealership.

Cute
By Joy

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Gas mileage is certainly good. The odometer, etc. being in the center took some getting used to but I now prefer it. The cloth seats should be a better quality. After having owned it a few weeks, someone tapped it in a parking lot. My Scion had been parked. My car sustained damage while the other vehicle had nothing. My concern is the Scion vs anything else on the road! Safety is my major concern. I would also like to add that while sitting at the dealer I mentioned I heard the XA was to be discontinued and she said it was a rumor. A few months later (2 months to be exact), it was discontinued. Be sure to use an honest dealer. I wouldn't buy a pencil from them now.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage. Manual transmission is easy. No big stretch to use the clutch.

Suggested Improvements

I would like better quality cloth seats. There are some blind spots that should be corrected.