2013 Scion FR-S - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific FR-S model:
Overall very disappointing
By garrett2000 on 05/20/14 21:37 PM (PDT)

2013 Scion FR-S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have the 6 speed manual. There are 2 main problems with the car, the first being the severe lack of power. Scion claims this car has 200 HP, I beg to differ, it's lucky if it has 150. The acceleration is absolutely terrible, and the hesitation off the line makes the situation even worse. However, once it's in 3rd gear or later, it does get a little better. The other thing that bothers me about the car is the transmission grinds when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and from 2nd to 3rd. It doesn't happen every time, but happens enough to be severely annoying. The only redeeming quality of the car is the styling. It looks like a sports car, but that's where the similarity ends.

So Far Great
By oceaneer77 on 12/30/13 22:13 PM (PST)

2013 Scion FR-S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I had for a very long time an old porsche 928 s4. It was a amazing car, and I thrashed the crap out of it. It died a terrible death... The new Scion replaced it. The Sion is not nearly as fast, nor as flashy. But it is WAAAAY more fun. At every red light the little 4 gives it a mighty big BRAAAPPPP and off we go. The shift points are just pure joy. This is not a car that will set a new land speed record, or corner at speeds that make your brains turn to mush. BUT----It is a very fun car that is amazingly responsive. It puts a smile on your face driving in city traffic as its sure is a little street fighter. Its great on the highway and its MPG is amazing. The car has a real soul.

Best Driver's Car
By worldrally17 on 10/23/13 11:32 AM (PDT)

2013 Scion FR-S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Don't listen to everybody who berates this car. Those are the people who don't understand its purpose. After 10,000 miles through 6 states and Canada, I can tell you this car is great in every single circumstance. City, highway, straight road, twisty road, road course, etc. I can get 34mpg on the highway, and average 31mpg even with some autocrosses and track days sprinkled in. You can fit a 6' person in the back as long as the front passenger is willing to give up some leg room. I honestly test drove every single new car with a manual transmission under $25k and this was by far my favorite.

The most smiles per mile
By buhlonee on 05/22/13 17:02 PM (PDT)

2013 Scion FR-S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Purchased my Asphalt Grey FR-S 6-speed manual in June of 2012. Traded up from a 2002 WRx (original owner), and while I miss the all-wheel drive and turbo rush, my FR-S just makes me smile every time I'm behind the wheel. Mine is primarily used as a weekend fun car, and I argue that there is nothing out on the road today that is even close in price that makes you feel as connected to the pure, visceral driving experience as this $24K gem. The steering is easily controlled, the shifter is perfect and the engine grumble is nice (I'm a sucker for boxster engines). I would not use this as a daily driver, but as a second car, it is just perfect.

Easily one of the best cars for the money!
By ehosch on 04/20/13 11:32 AM (PDT)

2013 Scion FR-S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I was looking for a fun sporty car as my daily driver and after doing my research I decided to test drive the FR-S. It is the perfect car for me (I'm 23) it is fun, fast, and so far reliable. The gas milage is also pretty good. I just have two complaints the first one is that I wish there were volume controls on the steering wheel the second is I wish it was called the Toyota 86 (like the rest of the world) but other than those two things I love the car and would reccomend it to anyone!

Amazing Car For the Money
By rudycassap on 03/29/13 21:27 PM (PDT)

2013 Scion FR-S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Lucky for us, Toyota put this under the Scion brand so dealers cannot mark it up. I live in the Los Angeles area and cars still disappear from some dealers lots in a matter of a day or two. I did accept the fact that the dealer installed Lojack. Got mine in Asphalt Black (dark grey metallic, really) with the rear wing and TRD exhaust installed from the factory. I had test driven a car with the stock exhaust. While the TRD exhaust has a beautiful note, it makes it difficult to have a conversation with a passenger. Still, I would take the exhaust over stock. Seats are supportive and instrument gauges are perfect (very much like Porsche). Car reminds me of a Lotus - light, small, minimalist.

Get it if you want to be actively involved in driving.
By eperris on 08/15/12 19:48 PM (PDT)

2013 Scion FR-S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The FR-S rewards focused driving. Though it is easy to drive at low speeds and in the city, it really comes alive when you push it along windy roads and at high speed. It is simply the most solid, capable car I have ever driven. If you just want to look good, accelerate quickly and tour around - this isn't the car for you. I also like its small environmental footprint and ultra-sophisticated engineering where it counts. This car has a bleeding edge fuel system, a high performance, but ultra-reliable engine and Toyota/Subaru quality. It is small and lightweight. If you drive thoughtfully, the mileage is about 26 City and 36 highway - much higher than EPA's estimate.

A real Gem
By pukalady on 07/15/12 23:54 PM (PDT)

2013 Scion FR-S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I owned a 2006 Scion TC that I bought in 2007. Loved that car and was searching the internet for more two door cars and the 2013 Scion FR-S came up and I was hooked. I went to my Scion dealer here in Kahului on Maui , Hawaii on May 25th . They told me the car would debut on June 1. I had to wait a week! June 1st, 2012 back to the dealer I went and three hours later I drove out with the "whiteout" color (not a good name for the color, it's a real pearl oyster white). I use ethanol free gas right now and get 35 mpg. I just love the way it "gets out of the way" of everyone else . I did get the automatic and won't be using the snow mode. And by the way I'm 67 yrs. old and LOVE my car

So Fun Firestorm Red
By jlennox on 06/05/12 21:24 PM (PDT)

2013 Scion FR-S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

If you love to drive and your not carrying more than a passenger next to you then this is a superb handling ride at a great price. I could not get out of this car the first two days of ownership. Limited availability but if you find one you like and aren't so concerned about color then buy it. They go fast out the door. I traded my lumbering gas guzzler Tacoma 4X4 and don't have any regrets. took two trips. One to Tucson from Phoenix mostly highway some city and got 33.4 mpg. Then on the second day I got 35.5 mostly highway with a/c on the whole time. That's better than my Yaris! I suppose the aerodynamics help. The seats a snug but comfortable. The pioneer stereo cranks.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Scion FR-S in WA is:

$219 per month*