Used 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette - Consumer Reviews

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette

View reviews for a specific Silhouette model:

One of the Best Vehicles I've Owned
By miker63

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere 4dr Minivan

Bought our 2000 used in 2010 with over 150,000 miles on it. Has made several long, out of state trips and is our primary in town ride. I've replaced battery, starter, idle control valve, belt and tensioner, tailgate lift cylinders, and rear air shocks. Took to dealer for a bad crank speed sensor wiring harness - $600 total repair. All reasonable repairs for a vehicle this age. Love the space and seats. Excellent fuel economy. Nice driver. Solid overall construction. Has been a reliable and very good van for hauling kids to ball games, moving music equipment, and everything else!

Favorite Features

Good fuel economy for vehicle of this size. Handles well. Comfortable interior. Stock radio sounds good. Good quality leather upholstery. (Wish we had the heated seat option. . . ) Power side door with remote is very handy. Dual climate control systems (front and rear) keeps passengers happy.

Suggested Improvements

GM could have spent an extra $0.50 to properly ground the tail-light fixtures (this is an easy fix, but GM cheaped out). Cup holders in back seats are cheaply made; just don't use them or they will break. Rear wing-style windows rattle a bit when opened. Our van came with a VCR; when I went to replace it with a DVD player I realized that GM used a proprietary connector which made replacement with standard A/V equipment very difficult. GM should have just used standard A/V connectors. And, of course, as with any transverse mounted engine, many repairs and maintenance tasks are much harder than necessary - but that's not unique to this vehicle.

Best vehicle I ever owned
By Deloris Kotowske

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Minivan

Love my Olds Silhouette and would buy another one if they were still making them. I tell everyone how absolutely wonderful this vehicle is. Economical on gas, comfortable for traveling and my grandkids love riding in it. Easy to get into and out of which is an especially nice feature for older folks and those with certain back problems. No tugging to pull yourself up and out of the seat to exit the vehicle. Plus ease of motion to get into the vehicle. What a shame this awesome vehicle has been dis- continued. I have about 128,00 miles with nominal repairs. What a blessing financially that is in this day and age with repair bills soaring out of site. Fantastic mode of transportation.

Favorite Features

Ease of getting into and exiting the vehicle. Smooth ride and economical on gas. Low maintenance. Grandchildren love the overhead radio and headphones. Leather interior holds up well and still looks like new. Nice sized rear luggage space and luggage rack on top. Overall rating, superb!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders seem somewhat flimsy. The middle side window latches are difficult to open.

First Lemon I have owned
By Terri

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere 4dr Minivan

I like the drive, room, features, etc. and it ends there. I have owned this van for 8 years and this is what has gone wrong above regular maintenance issues: front windshield wipers - never worked properly, power windows - have to hand pull the windows up, fuel gauge broken, heated seats died after three years, problems with automatic sliding door, tires always going flat - the list goes on and on. I spent $4,000 in fixes last year alone. The best I can get for it on trade is $1,500. Not impressed.

Favorite Features

Nice drive on long trips. Handles well and is comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Everything mechanical / electrical. I can't believe how many things broke.

The best car I have ever owned
By MMman2

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Minivan

I bought this van in year 2000 and its been a very good ever since then. I used it for my big family of 6 kids, and now they are not here any more and now just have 3 kids. It was very good on road trips and daily communicating, it got pretty good gas mileage also. Had to buy another motor for it but it now has over 250,000 miles on it. However, this car is not safe at all. But It has been a good van and the best car i have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Comfort, ride, and cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Better sliding doors and safety,

Need suv, don't want to sell Olds
By Jason

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Minivan

We bought our Silhouette with 67k on it and now have over 120k miles. I heard these vans were trouble when I bought it. All I can say is it has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I like everything about it except cupholders between the front seats which get stepped on then break. To date I have not had to to any repairs at all but have kept up on the preventative schedule. I tow a 3500 lb boat medium distances and this van tows great but lacks 4 wheel drive. The driver heated seat quit working though at 100k. I really need a 4x4 but I hate to see it go. A tip, I put a $1 bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas one time and the power increase was huge.

Favorite Features

Upscale interior, Leather, Heated seats. A lot of power for a small engine, tows heavy loads well. Very reliable. Very cheap to buy used.

Suggested Improvements

Most improvements I could think of were addressed in the next generation.