Used 2012 Nissan Leaf Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Leaf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Leaf model:

So far, so good!
By early_adopter

2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

I just purchased a used, 2011 SL Leaf.
Such a bargain; they've taken a huge hit in depreciation so I was able to get one with only 4,900 miles for around $18,500.

[non-permissible content removed]

Peppy, inexpensive, fun to drive!

Improving range, eventually. I know that will come.

This car needs a lot of work before ready for driving
By reginaa

2012 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

bought a nissan leaf sl 2012 in Sept 2012.
Since the purchase I have not been
able to rely on the car for transportation to work, home, child's activities or
anywhere.
My child is afraid that I will be killed in a car accident cause I
can't drive the speed limit and return to where I need to go.
The car takes
more than 16-24 hours to charge 100% and Nissan told me I bought the special
edition quick charge that will charge in 20 min, but actually it takes 1 hr 15
min for 83% charge.
I contacted Nissan International (NI) and although they are
buying back many nissan leafs, they would not deem my as defective and would not
repurchase the car.

Nissan International (NI) 1-800-343-6913, ext 457250, case # 10758220. NI told me to contact the dealer Fred Haas Nissan for trade in. fred haas, Ray R., new car director, valued my car $18,000, and pay off $30,200. Fred haas will only roll the prce of the payments into the next car loan. I need a normal car that will get me to and from work. This car is severely defective and I need NI or Fred haas to buy back the leaf, I can not afford to be so upside down on this car. I have lost many hours waiting for the car to charge, cash and time. I feel the car is dangerous if driven on major highways because if I drive as fast as the speed limit I will use my 16-24 hour charge in less than half hour. NI and Fred haas told me the car could be used to commute 50 miles, but it actually has a commute range of 15 miles. That is a lot of difference. I have had the car in the shop and no reports of battery problems, this is just not quite the design Americans are ready for in EV autos. Please can you help me? Please, I have 3 bosses (3 different locations), 6 doctors, 1 lawyer, 9 RN's, 30 co-workers and many patients I provide care, friends and teachers, school officials, to that will confirm what I am telling you since car purchase in Sept about my change in work hours, moods, range anxiety, days late to work, missed appointments, missed days because car would not make it, car break down in highways and many, many more things since Sept. The public ought to know!!!

driving distance, mileage equivalence and qicker charges

Electric Wonder
By mikelaw1

2012 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

The Leaf has great acceleration up to about 40 mph, because of the high torque of the electric drive, it is only two wheel drive but feels like four wheels drive, maybe because of large wide tires (55 series) and a low center of gravity, Batteries under floorboard have a lot of weight, so it really hugs the road. Keeps the car about forty mph in ECO mode, (slower mode, slower acceleration ) should get you 150+ mile range. It really begins to use up the juice over 50 mph and by 60 to 70
mph range is only about 75. Frost on inside if left outside is a problem requiring defrosting before starting out.
It is a really about town car. Most charging stations appear to charge $3 for a charge.

Charge times much less than advertised for me. Heated seats and steering wheel a real plus in winter to save range is heater really uses up electricity for 20112 and before models. Seats very comfortable. SL is worth extra price to get heated seats, steering wheel. High setting on seats is really hot, low was enough for me.

Already being done, for 2013, longer range, better heating.

Apotheosis of perfection!
By woodyas

2012 Nissan Leaf SL 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

Put off going electric for a plethora of reasons.
And hemmed and vacillated on getting the Leaf for about a year. But wow: THIS CAR IS TRULY AWESOME.
Hands down...this is the best car I have ever had.

And to be able to never put gas in a car again.
NEVER!
A feeling like no other.

Love the carwings--and being able to turn on air from my smartphone. And all of the cool features on the car. Trust me: you will be overwhelmed the first week--so many features.

Not sure the light interior is the best plan. And not sure I like the armrest being covered with cloth. That said: it really is comfortable and nice inside--and love the way it is laid out inside.

The best car we've owned!
By ok778

2012 Nissan Leaf SV 4dr Hatchback (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD)

We have a 68 mile daily commute to and from work in cold climate Michigan so we looked at the volt, prius, tdi, among others trying to offset costs of gas.
We narrowed our choice to a volt or leaf after test driving cars.
The volt was a close second but the Leaf beat it out for the following reasons: the volt managed a meager 30 miles in all electric when driven in temps hovering in the mid 40‘s - this wouldn't even get us half way.
The leaf pulled out 82 during same weather.
The leaf is larger with seating for 5 and larger cargo area.
We liked the Leaf's dash and gauge layout better than the Volt.
The leaf is quiet,yet has tremendous torque and really flies off the line.
And price

Carwings - We love how we can start the climate control, heat our car, and get it ready without leaving our house. Carwings let's us do all of this via our phone or ipad. Great feature. Navigation system is top notch and very accurate. Love xm Acceleration and torque. Heated steering wheel Roomy interior and comfortable seats LED headlights 80+ miles of all electric driving which meets our daily commute of 68 with miles to spare. Never had to recharge at work. We have made long tips (160 miles) in the car with planning. We traveled to Detroit from grand rapids with one stop in Lansing to charge our car. Worked out well as lots of charging statins along the way.

Can't wait for the DC level 3 stations to be implemented which will charge our car to 80% capacity in 30 minutes.