2012 MINI Cooper Consumer Review: 2012 R58

2012 MINI Cooper - Consumer Review

S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual)

2012 R58
By bcz on

2012 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A more accurate description is a 12' S Coupe w/ automatic and LOADED. Bought this car in December 2011 and have driven 42k miles so far. I am a commuter from a rural area into a college town and was looking for an economy car, but not one that was underpowered or cheap. This is likely to be the brand I stick with for awhile, they are SO fun to drive and cannot be beat in city traffic (only two wheels have it better). It feels safe because you know that the car has very respectable handling and power to get you around, and deal with occasional poor drivers on the open roads. Rather expensive based on size alone, it has taken the miles and years of ownership to gain a greater appreciation.

Favorite Features

The handling is excellent, the exceleration is still surprising to this day, this (S type) is not the car to get overly excited in unless you are used to driving pseudo sports cars. I don't mean that as a belittlement, this car is a genuine sleeper as far as the general public knows. Own one and you will quickly find challenges from virtually all types of vehicles because most are certain you are driving an underpowered economy car...and they couldn't be more right AND wrong simultaneously. Regardless of weather/driving conditions and a heavy foot, I consistently average 36-38 mpg in my Coupe S (R58).

Suggested Improvements

The cars almost always (no spare), come with very HQ run-flat tires, although the handling is well above average the ride can suffer considerably depending on road conditions and outside temps. I just recently replaced my run-flats with a high-end all season performance tire. I gave up a bit in high speed handling but made up for it in cabin comfort for I was no longer 'feeling' every nuance of the road. *These tires still had some tread life, guessing I'd say 45k would be the life expectancy of them. My roads were just to poor to find the harshness comfortable any longer.