Used 1991 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 300-Class model:

It's a keeper
By vonhippert

1991 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300TE 4dr Wagon

I bought mine 1 year ago and have put 20k on the car with no worries. It had 152k at time of purchase. This is my fifth older mbz and is my favorite one of them all. Fun to drive, great reliability and the interior layout is practical. I have seen the 3.0 liter inline six go 400k plus with just a top end rebuild. Things to be aware of: head gasket and engine harness failure. A small price to pay in overall upkeep, for a car that is safe, has classic lines and can handle high mileage with proper care.

my 1991 300E
By R. Edmondson

1991 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4dr Sedan

Was a gift from my dad and have had for about 8 months. My mech. nephew worked on it for me, the main fuse went out and it was due for a tune up. He said it was one of the easier cars he's worked on. Apparently is was in need of replacing all tune up parts, it had run good, just not good fuel economy. Since tune up it runs funtabulous! :o) Best car I've ever owned, great car to drive, despite how heavy a car it is. Handles the road nicely, good acceleration. My only complaint is the air con won't hold freon, minor problem in grand scheme of things, will get fixed before this summer. In short, love this car and will keep as long as viable cost wise.

Easier to use than most cars' cruise control. The smooth ride, and pretty nimble considering it's overall weight. Very comfortable seats and headrest has nice adjustability. I like the temp. controls that allow one to set the t Smartly designed for ease of driving and basic repairs.

Previous owner informed me that the problem with air con. not holding freon has been an issue for awhile, but didn't indicate how long that had been, so a better air con. is my main improvement. Also, the sun-roof opens and exposes you to elements, a sliding window would of been good,option in 1991?

Surprised it Worked
By farmerm90

1991 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300E 4dr Sedan

I got this car from a friend of the family as a graduation gift. Problem was it had been started in 4 years and had been sitting in pennsylvania the whole time. It didn't run when I first got in. So I replaced the battery and it started right up. I had a lot of wear and tear on the under side. I have put a lot of time and effort into getting her running like new. But she is fast as hell, runs like a champ.

Parts are easy to find, easy to work on with minimal mechanical experience. Quick and fast. Always a winner.

Make a real repair manual.

Mercedes Quality Unbelievable Price
By Marcel

1991 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300CE 2dr Coupe

I have owned my 300CE for 2 months, but I love it already. Excellent handling for a heavy car, good acceleration. I had NO2 Michelins installed, so the ride is superior, but the AC/Heating starts up slowly. Fuel economy is compromised, providing an inferior 14-18 mpg. Fun to drive, has a lot of character, turns heads. Not a car you see every day. Dash - limited in controls. Love leather, very styish interior. The exterior is beautiful and distinguished, paint looks brand new. Long lasting, mine has 115K, will run to at least 350K. No rattles ever, quiet and insulated. No mechanical failures in its whole life. Way cheap, a good one attainable for <5K

Great character, elegant styling, comfortable, fun to drive. Get compliments and even buy offers. Very reliable. Love getting into it, feels like aristocracy. Back seats more comfortable than front! Huge boot/trunk Road trips are easy, city runs too. Love my colours - Navy/Tan

Hate to end on a bad note, but I could use more power, shifts are minutely jerky (Automatic), and gas mileage suffers. Big ca, can be hard to park/drive if you don't know what you're doing

Love My Mercedes
By Aleeyah

1991 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SE 4dr Sedan

i purchased this Mercedes in 2006, and it has 204,000 miles on it and I love the solid feel that you get in driving a Mercedes. I used to own nothing but Japanese cars. The German engineering is impeccable, this car has been very reliable. I see why this car was $53,900. 17 years later, still running strong, I see a lot of them still on the road, they are truely, classy cars and they keep their value, so that should tell you something!

The adjustable headrests and the leather seats, having a standard alarm, the solid road feel of the car, heavy.