2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Review: Acceleration Issue

2014 Mazda CX-5 - Consumer Review

Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. AWD 6-speed Automatic)

Acceleration Issue
By jam2825 on

2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2014 CX5 in early 2013. It has 25,000 miles at this time, mostly highway miles. In the last 6 months there have been times when accelerating to pass, the car accelerates to extreme after I have let off the accelerator, and the tachometer flies up as if the accelerator is sticking. The accelerator also flies up while breaking. It is becoming more and more frequent. After reading another review on the same subject, I felt it necessary to confirm the issue. I am very disappointed, as this vehicle was not cheap.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive as nice this past winter.

Suggested Improvements

If this is a transmission issue, please issue recall and fix it.
By mokosh
on 05/17/14 12:37 PM (PDT)

Visit your local dealer and ask them to check on recall for the computer on your mazda. I had the same issue until they updated computer, now it's much better.

By miengineer
on 11/04/14 12:09 PM (PST)

This is NOT an acceleration issue. You are conflating engine speed with vehicle acceleration and they are not the same. The engine is calibrated to hold engine speed briefly after you take your foot off the pedal after a hard acceleration. This is because typically a driver will step back onto the pedal soon if they are driving in this manner, and it keeps the engine power readily available. Similarly, engine RPM will also stay high during aggressive breaking because it is usually temporary, and also provides engine braking power. Mazda is known for it's "fun to drive" characteristics, and stuff like this may be strange to people if they are not used to it.