2003 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Find a good one
By iward1 on 08/05/14 12:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Disco with 98k miles for $6000 in September 2013. Have a Land Rover specialist (preferably not a dealer) do a thorough inspection before you buy. Get a service history. Expect a lot of work to have been done. The only red flag is a history of overheating associated with a very loud engine knock/tap. In the last 10k miles I have replaced the power steering pump and done regular maintenance, about $1200 total. I'm not bothered since I paid so little up front. It's a fantastic truck with an old-school feel. I average 11mpg city and 15mpg highway. If you love it and treat it well, this truck will get to 200k miles and beyond.

Defective seat
By mimi1956 on 01/31/13 13:49 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Our driver side seat craked a couple of years ago on our 2003 Discovery. The same seat keeps blowing the adjustment fuse. We have been getting burnt a little when we turn the heated seat on. My husband just noticed that it is black like a fire was starting, checked my coat and it is burned where I sit. Called the dealer said it's not their problem, called Lard Rover od America and was told the same thing. I sort of think this is a manufacturer defect. This is probably why the seat cracked and the fuse keeps blowing. Should we get a lawyer?

Whatever you do keep it awayyyyyy!!
By thesonnyjim on 03/26/12 23:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I was the second owner at 38k miles with existing warranty paid 16.5k from Private seller about 5 years ago. At first glance I loved the car but after driving it for 6 months, a Nightmare!! The gaskets went, luckily I had warranty but still had to pay labor. Every little thing started to break down, cheap plastic pieces would break off and cost expensive for something that should cost very cheap & actuators go alot. Make a long story short after replacing the rear hydraulics (paid 4k & 2 months in the shop) I took the car to a dealer that took it in at a value of 4700 and traded it in for a 2012 Toyota Sienna SE. I'm very happy with that vehicle. A Land Rover...Never again in this lifetime!

Engine damaged after overheating
By jeevanga on 10/17/11 19:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought with 29k and whole year of warranty left for $22000.Used for 4 years and put on only 11k due to terrible gas mileage.Loved the ride and apperance.No issue for 3.5 years then 3 amigos appeard but did not fixed. Engine overheated due to coolent tube leak and seems to be head gasket blown or engine cracked.Sold it to carmax for $7000.

DISCO x 2
By dblake on 08/17/11 12:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

had a 04, HSE destroyed in Katrina, Bought an 03 right after. Typical issue as everyone elses. But one thing you have to realize is if you want town this type of vehicle be prepared to spend the maintenance cash. Yes its expensive to maintain & i have found parts via ebay OE sellers, in addition i happen to have my own personal mechanic with 30+yrs of experience & a 65$ an hr labor rate, so maybe not to shabby for me. For sure if i had to pay the dealer for all the work done so far it may have been sold long ago. I am @ 127k, replaced the Head gasket which is now leaking again 3yrs later. & just routine work. Its long paid off now & i invested so much in repairs i'll run in 4ever

You gotta love this Rover...
By atldane on 04/21/11 21:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I know, I know...horrible reliability, very expensive, low mpg..but I love this vehicle. This is our third one, and this one I am going to keep. I have 130,000 miles on this Discovery, I am pouring money into it, but I love it. It was time to get something more reliable and better on gas, so I chose a new BMW 328i so I could keep the Rover. I now have a new car, but have my boy to take to the lake and use for rugged adventures. You know the saying "if it isn't leaking then it is empty" about Land Rovers. well it is true, true, true! But worth every penny...I really love this truck!!! Very Classic....

Discovery-atic
By abombard on 03/13/11 11:42 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Well, I have owned three Discoveries now; a 98, 2000, and 2003. I have had problems with every one I have owned, in fact, the one I currently own is being repaired - the tail light spontaneously caught on fire. The crazy thing is, I would buy another one; although I would like my next LR to be a Defender. I love the way they feel on and off road - particullarly off road.

Dream Car, but not quite a Nightmare
By vgardon on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have always wanted this car and finally bought one in 11/2008. It was already 5 years old, but initially ran well. However, after having it for about 1 year, major issues arose (i.e., O2 sensors went, window motor broke, major ticking noise from under the hood, etc). This car is very expensive to maintain and after a while, it just wasn't worth pouring any more money into it. Thankfully, it has never shut down on me, but I don't think I would buy another one until I know much more about maintaining luxury cars.

What a waste
By What a waste. on 08/11/10 22:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it used I am second owner at 75K miles the brakes are hard until warmed up. The Header gasket is gone. The worst thing is the car has a bad engine rap, diagnosed as a lifters issue. The dealer and HQ LR NA in NJ will not back it up. Imagine a luxury car whose engine is failing at 80K! Absurd. What we have here is a well wrapped interior and exterior with a piece of garbage BUICK engine.

Stay Away From Disco
By Stay away on 07/02/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my 2003 disco SE7 for 3yrs. Purchased at 50,000. Less than 2 months, I spent over $800 on axle job. Next it was $3200 engine gasket leak plus a host of other issues. It does not hold second hand value either. It looks great and people think it cost a lot but I will not buy landrover anytime soon. Poor engineering period.