Used 2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery Series II model:

I must have the best Disco
By aerialhunter

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have 190k on my Disco2 and other than normal maintenance issues this vehicle is great. It is my daily driver at 60 miles/day. It does terrific in snow and ice from a driving perspective with the exception of stopping....This beast goes anywhere. For those of you that are mechanically inclined, once you get below the skin, you'll appreciate the "beefiness" of the materials used and the quality of the bolts/fasteners. It is built like a machine. Don't know why so many people dislike this vehicle, but mine is great.

Off-road driving and solid handling in difficult terrain

access to frequently used components such as the coil packs. Very hard to access and changing spark plug wires is a couple hour job.

Off-Roader
By offroad87

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car mainly to go off-roading. Lifted it 3" and put some 33" tires. I could see why people don't like their Disco's. It only gives about 14 mpg, prone to overheating and needing new heads or motor, bad turning radius, and a rattle here and there. I would not buy this car to drive around town. LR3's and LR4's are a very different story. They have improved and are very reliable. Once the Disco is off-roading the truck seems to be in the place it was designed to be.

Engine Torque, transfer case, CDL, comfortable.

Nothing. LR3 and LR4 have improved everything.

too small
By n8webb

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Small interior. bad gas mileage. Long turn-radius. Electrical issues. Minor and major engine issues. The list goes on and on. I felt sorry selling it to someone.

snob appeal. uniqueness.

gas mileage. space.

My favorite truck
By jacquesh

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned this truck since new. My only regret is the resale value is poor, I'm only selling mine to get a newer RangeRover The 2001 Disco is at an great buy, provided you do your homework. The price is low because dealer service and parts are expensive, and everthing about the thing is complicated so you need a good mechanic. Be sure you get detailed service records to be sure it is in good shape. There are things that go wrong with any old SUV, like main seals and head gasket and tranny, good maint is the key to avoid these. Take care to check the Disco drivetrain to be sure it isn't ready to go. If you choose well you will get the best 4x4 ever for a great price.

Best off-road driving. Best snow driving (with the right tires). ACE provides sports car like cornering on the highway. Air suspension allows load leveling and easier towing setup. Low range gear allows towing a big boat. Low range allows driving impossible inclines. Hill Decent Control helps get you back from where you should not have gone in the first place. Heated windshield/seats makes snow/ice less of a chore. Gears are generally lower, so acceleration 0-40 is crisp, but it's no sports car. Kid loves the rear jump seats in the SE7.

All these are improved in newer models except fuel efficiency... More interior space. Better acceleration at high speed. Better reliability. Better gas mileage.

overpriced tupperware
By whisperingsage

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

We paid $10,000 used , not knowing this was a 'status symbol' car. Sorry we are socially impaired. Amazed at how it could be covered in mud and dust just from normal use (we live in the desert) and still get ooohs and ahhhs over it. Weird we thought. It doesn't handle ice puddles, those broke out the bumper and the fog lights, it doesn't handle a real good ice. Granted it didn't have studs which would help any car, but it sat in the even driveway (no hills) and spun and refused to budge to get me get out of 3 inch snow turned to ice. Since this is why i bought the car, i was very unhappy. Parts are not simply a "little high" they are a nightmare. A plastic thermostat was $80.

None, I'd like to finish my complaints here. Instead of rubber hoses for coolant, it has thin plastic which breaks down and causes holes which blows the fluid out- And ended up ruining my motor from a leak out of the overflow tank. (that may have a better name i don't know). Ruined from heat from coolant leaks. This seemed to be a perpetual problem. For a $40,00 car, we were not impressed. Plastic bumper, plastic light housings that break under rattling roads, finding a land rover mechanic very hard, wiring for trailer lights a nightmare, brake parts fell off from bumpy roads, we live on bumpy roads so, come on. Why can't it handle that?

Motor itself was good- naturally reburned unburned fuel in the exhaust system from my understanding. This particular car got good gas mileage and burned very clean. Needs better body, more metal, thicker metal, less plastic, metal bumpers, no plastic bumpers. That is ridiculous. Also needs to be wider- bought for carrying 7 people, well, if they were all children or midgets. Not very comfortable for us fat butted adults. No room for coats or food or purses. Unless we two are all alone. Needs normal width tires, these very wide tires pull us all over the road especially patched roads . Be prepared to be pulled over for weaving.