2001 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:
Best car I've ever owned
By stevecobb12550 on 06/05/11 18:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Kia used at 18,000 miles, and then drove it for almost 150,000 without a problem. Gas mileage was about 33 mpg highway, and it was rock solid. Sure, the sheet metal is so thin that you could dent the car just by breathing on it, and the rear defroster was useless, but the car was a real trooper. Hatchback was very useful, too, I could load all kinds of things in there. The only mistake I made was not changing the timing belt, and it broke at 145k miles, ruining the engine. At 145k miles, the CV joints needed replacing, and so did the struts, but it was a great car.

242,500 Still going strong!!!!!
By Terry on 10/13/09 20:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I guess This says it all.

Kia, Kia, Kia
By Amberismyenergy on 08/14/08 11:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had it time in and time out with this car. I have had to replace the complete make up of the rear brakes, the battery, the rear break lights several times (not because i leave lights on) compressor, starter, plugs, the right axle. Yes when i go up a hill i have to turn air conditioner off. haha Very loud when I'm trying to go fast, people think I'm angry, when I'm in a hurry. The dash board has completed folded because of the sun! WONDERFUL!!

2001 Spectra GS
By Ricky on 02/27/08 17:29 PM (PST)

2001 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Other than normal wear parts like brake pads, I've had problems with the motor mounts (4 of them) and the upper power steering hose. It has good fuel economy, about 22 mpg city and very good handling, especially when you upgrade the wheels to 15" and sport tires.

I hate my Kia
By ojena on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had many problems with the engine begining with the loud noises it makes & a/c and radio malfunctions. The plastic pieces of the vehicle are always breaking off such as those that recline the seat,open the trunk and gas,and a/c vents.Ancira, the dealership where I purchased my Kia, is not very efficient when it comes to fixing it. So the warranty Kia always raves about really means nothing to me.Within the first year of owning my new Kia Spectra, the tires and brakes had to be replaced, and since they are considered maintanence parts, they were not covered by the warranty. This car has been a headache from day one.

Would buy again
By jillswill on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Its not a quite ride. Drags up hills, helps to shut off the air condition system. We bought it for the hatch-back and would to run to college. I would buy another one. Its a great buy for the price.