Used 2002 Honda S2000 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda S2000 - Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda S2000

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (135 reviews )

Unbelieveable car
By Daniel

2002 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

First and foremost, I've driven civics all my life, including the latest, an 02 si. Finally, I get my hands on the S2000 and all i can say is WOW! Pure power delivered by a 9200 redline! There's not much more of a race car Honda could've designed. Its all that and THEN SOME! It handles beautifully, accelerates like a car on a mission! This car will give over 90% of the cars on the road a run for their money or even, a good taste of honda exhaust fumes!

Favorite Features

My favorite features: 1) Cockpit position 2) Digital Dash 3) Beautiful body 4) HID lighting system 5) Super Slick 6 speed MT 6) Ability to drive normal under 6000 rpms. 7) Handling ability is insane.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements: Maybe more exotic looking rims-- Better location for the cigerette lighter--- a stronger vinyl convertible roof.

Love my S2K
By Pointblank

2002 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've taken my Honda S2000 to Laguna Seca twice already, and the car begs to be driven hard. I haven't had one problem with the car, just simple fluid changes here and there and it's good to go. The car handles like a go-kart, and the engine is a gem. For the money, I don't believe I could have purchased a better car in terms of fun factor. The ride can get a bit on the harsh side, but that's mostly on pretty beat up roads. With a good driver, you can pass up plenty of cars on the racetrack that costs much more, or has more power due to it's good handling and balance. Putting the top down on a whim is always fun. And last but not least, the gearbox is plain perfection, very crisp throws.

Favorite Features

Gearbox, high-revving motor, fast softop mechanism, gauge cluster, engine start button, interior layout, suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Small bump in horsepower, slightly more aggressive exhaust note.

Great Car
By s2000 owner

2002 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Very fun car to drive. Gets looks/compliments everywhere you go. People don't expect it to be a Honda, and tend to think it's a lot more expensive than it really is. Interior is a little cramped, but goes along with the territory of owning a 2-seater. Otherwise, the gauges/controls are very driver oriented. Light-weight / RWD / lack of traction control can get a little scary in the rain. Suspension is pretty stiff and not too comfortable. A true enthusiast's car, Honda did well on this one. I'd absolutely adore it if it were my weekend car, but since it's a daily driver, the stiff suspension and lack of traction control and torque can get annoying. performance - yes. Practicality - no.

Favorite Features

HID headlights and push button start add a nice touch. An undeniably good-looking car. Great handling. Shifter feels great, very precise short throws. Reliable, relatively inexpensive maintenance. Extremely fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Lack of traction control on wet roads can be very scary. No torque, at all. powerband is not very practical for daily driving, i.e. your car only feels fast above 5,000 RPMs. Suspension is not the most comfortable, but I can't really complain.

S2more4urmoney
By boobie

2002 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

this car is great on a curvy road. the convertible top is easy and fast. the whole car is easy and fast.

Favorite Features

i like the radio controls on the dash

Suggested Improvements

more lumbar support and heated seats

Best Sports Car?
By jpodvin

2002 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This has got to be the best all around sports car I have ever driven, and I have owned many. Stylish body lines, suburb suspension, Near 50/50 weight distribution and what has to be the most powerful 2.0 four cylinder in production! Not to mention the 9K redline, and ability to sustain 26 MPG under my abusive driving. Some people have complained that there is not enough low end torque, but I say show me a four cylinder sports car with more. At 60 MPH in sixth gear I rarely have to downshift to pass. Has more low end torque than my fiance's civic Si, and weighs less too!

Favorite Features

Some of my favorite points on the S2K! The ultra fast top. I can change it at a traffic light! Razor sharp handling from the factory. VTEC kick! =) One of the easiest cars to hold a controlled drift in! Most people think it costs 3x what it actually did! Oh and the secret compartment!

Suggested Improvements

If I had to gripe about something, I would have to say the factory clutch is weak, the only cup holder is in a bad spot for shifting, The factory paint is thin and easily chipped, and not enough exhaust note to cover up drive train noise.