Used 1997 Honda Prelude Base Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Prelude

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

The Lude, The ultimate 90s ricer
By Aiden

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

Yes the 1997 Honda Prelude, a true example of what good engineering should be. I have owned 2 preludes, a 2001 and a 1997. I also had a 1998 run out of oil on me (it was my buddies) engine ended up blowing up. Anyway, these cars have near go cart like handling, they have fantastic styling, a fantastic stock sound system (buy a 13$ FM transmitter AKA 13$ thing), and pretty comfortable sport style seats! No it doesn't have the rapid crazy Tire spinning acceleration of my past BMW M3s, what it does have is a 2.2 liter VTECH 4 cylinder that pumps out 200 ponies!!! With that in mind, this car gets up and moves, especially noted when you appropriately run the premium gas THAT HONDA TELLS YOU TO PUT IN!!! Small displacement motors such as this one, that produce high amounts of power are what premium gas is exactly designed for, you will also get better fuel economy with it, do not cheap out on unleaded! It will surprise you and not ever disapppint! Amazing agile little front wheel drive car, insanely grippy, and has nice tight suspension that honestly hurts your ride quality, but helps make this go cart like handling possible. Most will run regular oil, but synthetic will give you the best results. These cars will crap out on you if you neglect them, when you treat them right they will always treat you right, right back. I've ran these cars at 60 down dirt roads with massive pot holes and bridges, swerving in and out of the holes, it could be a potentially good rally car if someone put their mind to I! Most people wouldn't dare going 40 where I'd hit 60. All in all the car is fantastic, it will get you 29 mpg (premium fuel, good oil, and SMART cruise control driving) at 80 MPH down a highway! If it gets less, something is wrong! Be warned if you get into your VTECH (5 grand or more) very often, your car will burn oil, not at normally driving but specifically inot the 5-7 grand range, check it frequently when running hard, may need to top of with an extra quart at most between oil changes. Also on a final note, these cars and all 90s Hondas get "honda" rust because of a black piece of blasting that lines your rear fender wells, it creates a huge river bed for water to sit, simply reach down take it off, and you've solved the problem. My favorite cars in the world! Treat her right, she treats ya right back!

love at first ride
By dillon

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

If you can find one manual and in good shape , buy it . You won't regret it . Bought with 130k now at 156k and abused the mess out of it all the time and all I've had to replace was a shifter cable (800). Love everything about it besides back seats but hey its a coupe.

A Honda Classic Keeper
By jleyton

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I purchased a 1997 in 2010 (I think) with 90k miles on it. yes, the previous owner had a couple of fender benders, probably drove it hard as the wheels were bent, etc., but overall, this baby still rides great. The service reps at the Honda dealer i go to are always complimenting the car... always. "It's clean man. It drives clean. Nice one!" I've only had to do maintenance on the car. This Prelude Base is dang fun to drive. I have been wanting a RWD vehicle for years, still yet to have one, but this FWD Prelude is difficult to let go. Honda means reliability and good performance for your money. It's not the fastest, but the VTEC will give you tons of pleasure!

VTEC! Body styling! View out of the front is excellent, as well as rear view. Simplicity but yet fun. Just wish it was rear wheel drive.

Too bad it's not a rear wheel drive vehicle, but it still handles well. Perhaps a bit more low end torque, but that's typical with any Honda.

There's not another car I want more.
By Heather

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I bought my car used w/ 75,000 miles already on it. It is now at 239,000 w/ the bottom end rebuilt at 100,000 due to driving through high water. It is still reliable & all features work. I absolutely love the styling/appearance & I can't find another car that I like as much to purchase. When it finally dies, I think I'm just going to put in a new engine & transmission & keep driving. By far, the best vehicle purchase I've ever made.

Comfy interior w/ everything easily in reach of the driver (unlike most sedans); fabulous styling & reliability

Love my Lude
By Silver_97

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I bought my Prelude a few months ago. It was very well maintained. Apart from a few flaws on the hood which look like someone spilled brake fluid... It was nearly perfect. I have had no mechanical problems. No problems at all for that matter, and this is a 10 yr old car! The interior is very comfortable, and I have no rattles. Very fun when vtec engages!

Styling, vtec, Manumatic, handling.

A bit more power would be nice, but that's always the case. I would like a 5th gear in the auto version. They are spaced too far apart to do vtec-to- vtec shifts.