2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Ford Explorer Sport Trac
By ohmz42 on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My Sport Trac is very comfortable and fun to drive. Fuel Mileage is decent at 19 mpg average. Although it has ample pep, considering todays technology, Ford could improve performance and fuel economy just a wee bit better. Before I purchased this vehicle I was undecided between an SUV or pickup, but the Sport Trac has proven to be a nice mix of each. Would recommend! You get plenty of looks too.

Fun in the Sun
By ReefDiver on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Overall I love my Sport Trac, I use it for kayak diving which is very gear intensive and, as you can imagine, wet and sandy. The bed allows me to keep the dirty things out back while my leather interior doesn't have to deal with any of it. If I had one complaint it would be fuel economy but I knew I wasn't buying a Honda

Great SUV!!!
By txjul on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great truck, comfortable yet versatile!

Just misses the mark
By RDG on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Was a unique vehicle has too many little nagging problems to really enjoy ownership. The A/C fan quit within first week. Has had a noise in powertrain since new never fixed the dealer can never verify. Has recently developed a annoying popping sound while driving dealer has order parts per Ford TSB. Gas door was replaced a year ago because the hinge chipped the gas door opening. The tires were replace by recall.

NO MORE ST
By NO MORE SPORT TRAC on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

BRAKES AND ROTORS HAS TO BE CHANGED LIKE OIL. NO GAS MILEAGE. STEERING NEEDES IMPROVEMENT, ALSO, HANDLING. BLACK PAINT CRACKING AT 1 YR. OLD, MANUFACTURER WILL NO NOTIFY CONSUMERS OF THIS DEFFECT. A FRIEND OF THE FAMILY TOLD US THAT WORKS AT THE BODY SHOP. SO, IF YOUR TRUCK IS BLACK, HAVE IT PAINTED BEFORE END OF WARRANTY

High Priced Junk
By Mike_A on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had it less than a year and it's been in the shop 3 times. First the dealer sold me the bad Firestone tires which needed a recall. Next was the power stearing pump when out and the third was my oil pressure guage went haywire and come to find out almost all of the oil sensors had to be replaced. I have the 4x4 loaded model and baby it, dealer oil changes, garaged parked at work and home, never in snow/mud/rain completely taken care of. And the wind noise is unbearable at times, everyone that rides in it makes the same commit "what is that noise". The first chance to unload it for the loan amount it's sold....any buyers???

Sport Trac
By LDG on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the vehicle used with about 24,000 miles. I have not had any trouble at all with the vehicle, except due to my slight negligence in letting the front brake pads get too low and it blew the front calipers out. Other than that, no problems. One curiosity that I do have with the vehicle, is that when I have the rer window down, I can hear a squeaking noise coming from the area between the bed of the vehicle and the cab. This can get to be slightly annoying, but not enough to get rid of the vehicle or have it looked at. It has been there since day one. I read a review in Consumer Reports, and it was noted in there as well.

Half way there
By By on 07/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love the design, it is perfect for me. It great for lugging stuff but not to much stuff. Roll down rear window, seating, 4 doors, perfect design, great, bravo. That said, some quality would be nice. At 46K I have been 4 set of brake pads, 1 rotor cut job, rotor replacement and a transmission valve body replacement. The rattle I have been trying to address from day one is still present, no one has a clue. The most expensive to maintain car I have ever had. If only Ford had an engineering department to back up the design department it would be great.

2001 Sport Trac
By jlathem on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love the truck. It is my first truck so I wasn't ready for the extreme fuel consumption. It fits my needs perfectly however. I looked at all of the competetors and chose this truck. I am not one to purchase a vehicle on impulse.It performs all of the duties that one could ask of such a vehicle. It handles and rides in an acceptable manner for a vehicle of this type. ( If you want a Caddy buy one )The build quality is excellent when compared to other mass produced vehicles.

Not that bad
By Tosh on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

No matter how I drive, I always get 15.6 to 16 MPG. Some times brakes makes noise (The dealer cann't help), A strange noise on my side windows (Don't know where its coming from). Anyway other then those probems, its not bad.