Used 2001 Ford Escort ZX2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (49 reviews )

Not so good for intense driving
By kevin

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have to drive a lot between places, and this car I bought in 06 with 70,000 miles for only $4,000. The first two years were good, up until 110,000 miles. Transmission needs work now, things keep braking on this car (leaks) unfortunately at this point, the upkeep is getting high I might as well buy a car. A/C blows weak, and my compressor won't make cold air now. I don't know how anyone gets 30 MPG on this. I usually get 350 Miles on a tank, and the tank is 13 gallons, so its 26 MPG for me. Good first car, rides a bit low for me, and dents easily.

Favorite Features

It's good for passing other cars, good handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG, ride higher, and better suspension.

Nice ride
By mickeyg

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my ZX2 from my cousin last year, and it had over 155K miles. The only problem that I have had with it is the timing belt just broke on me. It's a little tight since i'm 6'4", but I still love it. Plus I can always find it in the parking lot since it's bright blue. This is also a great car to learn how to drive manual, it takes a beating and just keeps going.

Favorite Features

STICK, now that I have one I love it. I also love the steering, I can put this car anywhere I want it.

Suggested Improvements

Get the CD player outa the trunk.

2001 Ford ZX2 Lacks Comfort
By doddtw

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My number one complaint with this car is comfort. The shoulder room is very tight for an adult man. The seats are cheap. I feel like my bottom is 2 inches off the ground and I have the sensation of driving a GO Cart. When I exit the vehicle my knees feel like they're even with my ear lobes. The car has adequate pickup and reliability. I also see excessive vibration while in idle as experienced by another reviewer. Interior seems mainly cheap plastic. Lack of a center console to rest your elbox on is also annoying. This would be a adequate car for a small framed teenager but an average sized adult will not be happy with this car. I have basicly let this car sit in my driveway the last 5 years.

Favorite Features

5 CD Changer, Tight Turning Radius, Good Gas Mileage

Suggested Improvements

Fix vibration problem at Idle. Add center console. Stronger springs in seats.

Ford escort zx2
By IxLeSsxThNx3U

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What ever you do, do not buy this car. I have had so many problems with this car. First of all there is a hose that is built too close to the engine so that it will end up burning a hole through the hose in this car. It has done it in my car and had to be replaced. Second they are known for having troubles with their struts.. mine went out. Third these cars are pretty hard to work on since under the hood everything is pretty compact. Fourth, ford's during this year are known for having shifting problems due to transmission filters, and they have to be changed often. Fifth I had to replace the whole exhaust system in this car. These cars have a lot of problems. DO NOT BUY ONE!!!!!!!!

very well built
By beau2715

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car have 215,000 miles, I'm a second owner 1st owner maintained very well. Only problems have been 2 alternators, clutch went out around 200,000, the high intensity headlights burned out sockets 2x each side. Might burn a 1/2 quart between oil changes, I get it changed every 5000. I drive it very hard and it like a timex and keeps on ticking.

Favorite Features

I have the chip installed that gives 15% more horsepower and is a quick little car, engine very well built.

Suggested Improvements

More back seat room, better charging system, mounting c.d. changer somewhere else besides next to rear speaker, when played at higher volumes it makes c.d. skip.