Used 1997 Ford Escort Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

unbelievably reliable
By Sab

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Escort for 7 years now, and have no complaints. I am a hard driver. I brake hard, drive fast, do a lot of u-turns, and am just plain aggressive, and my car has withstood it all. I've always maintained it well, with regular oil changes, fixed the brakes every few years, but have never had to do any major repairs. I've not rust-proofed it, and it only started to rust a couple of years ago, which I think is good. There seem to be virtually no blind spots either (with the exception of the usual one). I would recommend to anyone that they purchase this car. It would make a great starter car. I'm not parting with mine, unless she finally kicks the bucket.

Favorite Features

Color...fantastic fuchsia-like purple. All car manufacturer's should have one exceptional car color. Lack of blind spots. Good pick up for a little engine. Lack of repairs required.

Suggested Improvements

Deeper cup holders.

A working man's (women's) car
By Fordy Something

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I bought 2 brand new escorts, manual trans, the same exact day. At the time, I traveled over 750 miles a week. I swapped every other week attempting to have the cars outlast the loans. After 8 years and 330000 total miles on these 2 cars I can only say it was one of the better decisions I've made. Only major repair was the radiators on both failed the same week within a 1000 mi. of each other at about 100000 miles. That's it, aside from regularly scheduled maintenance. Unfortunately, the one with 150000 on it got rearended and the other with 180000 is getting tired. I'll miss them both. I suppose I'll never get this lucky again when it comes to purchasing a car.

Favorite Features

manual trans gives it some guts - reliability was second to none - economical and affordable to operate

Suggested Improvements

Install the same reliability in all cars! Especially the one I choose to buy next .... PLEASE!

Best Buy for the Money!
By EscortLover4-Ever

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new, after giving up my '88 Escort with 216,000 miles on it. This car currently has over 220,000 miles on it and I'm going for at least another 30,000! The car has been very dependable. Have spent maybe $2,000 on total repairs (other than maintanance) in 8 years. Still get great mileage on the highway (checked last week and got 36 mpg). They'll have to peel me out of this one before I give it up. I'm just sad that Ford did away with the Escort - can't beat the value and the performance!

Favorite Features

Mileage, reliability.

It really is okay...
By Husoni

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

At first I had some issues with look of the vehicle as well as my experience with the dealership, but over the years I trully can not complain. I have backed into poles, other cars, spun out on the free way and still I have not had any injuries or had any repairs required. "it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin..." really. Gas is great as well. It's like my own private bumper car.

Favorite Features

Gas milage

Suggested Improvements

Comfort, sleeker style, more storage consoles.

can't complain
By Ben Smith

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

i purchased this car from a family member with 105k on it. At that time, the car had never broken down, and ran like a dream (especially w/105k). Every 3k, the oil had been changed and all maintance recommendations were followed. I would average 28+ MPG, even while i was driving like an idiot. After 130k, the transmission begin slipping quite often and fuel economy began to fall off quickly. I can't complain about the cheap parts and quality when an escort makes it to 135k.

Favorite Features

fuel economy, disposable car to run into the ground, ability to corner quickly, 135k until problems started, always started right up, never broke down

Suggested Improvements

better sound system, more comfortable seats