1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
My dream car!!!
By amadisily on 10/08/14 14:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in '99 after my previous one was totaled. It was a great value. At the time it only had 36K miles. Now it is at 308.6K! It still drives well but must retire. It has a tiny oil leak, but just started leaking radiator fluid from the engine and just sprung a gas leak. All in the past 4 months (3K miles). So, I'd say this car is AH-MAZING! I keep routine maintenance on the car, but I drive it like the sport car it is. It has held up royally! I still see them all over town, so I know they are great cars. But it's time to retire it and move on to a newer car. *sniff*

Ford escort 97 station
By micamans on 09/20/14 00:45 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car a year ago second hand. I needed a cheap car to get me to work and just prayed it would not die on me even though it had 220000 K's on it. It now has 310000 It still gets me from A to B fine. Ive had the problem that it sometimes refuses to go into first gear. This problem has something to do with the sync rings in the gearbox but the problem just seems to sort it's self out. Other then that I have not r had any problems with the car. It is quite sluggish compared with all of these modern cars here in Europe and the suspention is like spagetti in the corners, but hey it is no racing car.

Excellent temporary car, wouldn't recommend long term
By brendan12090 on 06/26/13 14:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Have had this escort for a little less than a year and it has just been terrible. Everything has had to of been replaced including, all four struts, both lower ball joints, full exhaust, and little repairs along the way, I should have just bought a new car! Although it has many problems, it refuses to die and for that I gave it a 4 in reliability. Moving on to a Toyota because of their reliability. But for cheap temporary transportation it's a good car and gets relatively good gas mileage. Cheap to repair but nothing is extremely cheap. Engines aren't too bad and the transmissions aren't terrible either, but the body style is absolutely ugly and it rusts so quickly!

Great at first but awful now
By brendan12090 on 06/20/13 21:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I have had 3 escort models in my life span, so far the 96 wagon was the better of them all, I have a 98 escort wagon now and I've had to replace everything, except for the engine. I love the gas mileage but the cost of repairs is starting to go through the roof and about to just junk it because the unibody is rotted and will not pass inspection and to think it's 2013 and it barely has 95000 miles on it, amazing, anyways if you want reliability go foreign stay away from fords

Ticking Bomb. Avoid !!!
By madcarpenter on 03/01/12 11:52 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Our '97 Escort, 2.0 SPI engine recently succumbed at 121k miles to the well known, dreaded 'Dropped #4 Valve Seat' fatal engine defect particular to this poorly designed powerplant. ALL '97-'04 Ford vehicles using this engine are at risk of this happening as they approach 100k miles. Most consumer reviews of this problem claim it happened abruptly between 100k and 130k. It even afflicts vehicles that have been meticulously maintained by their owners! The steel valve seats pressed into the aluminum head of these engines expand and contract at different rates, eventually loosening. WHEN (not if) this happens, it's like dropping a grenade into your engine! Google it! Shame on you, Ford!!!

300,000 kms and still going strong!
By emersome on 01/12/11 09:46 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Bought my Escort Wagon used and best money I've ever spent on a vehicle so far. Plenty of cargo space but small enough you can park anywhere. Put winter tires on it and is amazing around town; have passed half-tons stuck on the side of the road. Can even do some light off-roading. Easily put 2 kayaks on top and has enough clearance that you can get where you need to go. Little slow off the start but once its going has lots of pep. With regular maintenance its been very reliable and is still zooming along at 300K. And fuel mileage is awesome! Had a hatchback Escort before and wasn't too thrilled but the Wagon has really been impressive.

Plenty Left at 150,000 Miles
By bisjoe on 12/11/10 15:52 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

My '97 just got a new clutch, just before that a new serpentine belt. Other than those recent jobs only brakes, tires and oil changes and it's still getting me to work every day at 32 mpg. For a cheap little car the quality has been surprisingly good, even great.

Great 1st Car!
By LizzyLouBorne on 07/31/10 04:13 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

My mom bought this car for me in January, when I turned 17. She paid $1,500 it only had 123,000 miles on it. It was from an older couple. The interior is in perfect condition. I can't say much about how it runs because I finally went take my driving test yesterday, and I passed. I drove it all day long. The only problem I have is there is no AC. I am getting that fixed very soon, though. The only set backs are I have read about shaking when it idles low or something, and there is no tape or cd player. It's good for me though because I don't need it. I am having a problem with it shaking when I am parked, but other than that it runs like a champ.

Wish Ford still made them!
By Loving It Still on 05/16/10 15:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I've driven BMW, MG, Healey, and the German-designed '97 Ford Escort is as much pleasure and fun as all of those. The car is an uber-reliable and sound vehicle if proper care and maintenance is taken and no stupid-loud stereos installed to shake it to bits. Most of the performance issues are readily deal with by installing sportier tires and with very few minor modifications, the sportier handling is that much more. This is an in-city sport-commuter crossover, not a sports car and not a luxury road boat, so don't bash it for not being what it wasn't designed to be or for user failure to maintain.

what do you expect?
By joe on 01/27/10 23:47 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

lets be real its a escort. If I had more money Id drive a benz but im a broke loser who flips burgers. If you talk great things about your escort your a loser. It does the job go to work and maybe you can buy a nicer car down the road.