Used 1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Ram Tough
By smh1992

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought a 1999 Sport model with the 5.9L with 135,000 miles. Never had a truck before, but I love this vehicle. I'm a bigger guy and I have more than enough room. This truck is the definition of toughness. I like to take it off-roading and it handles itself very well. Best looking truck on the road too, in my opinion. That 5.9L V8 is a beast too. Love when I step on the gas and hear that engine roar. The 4X4 works extremely well too. Where I live, we get pretty deep snow and I've never once gotten stuck in 4WD. Overall a great truck and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a stylish, powerful, roomy pickup. Will look to buy another one when this one dies on me.

Favorite Features

5.9 liters of pure muscle. Interior space, ride height, styling, and 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had a little better gas mileage, but that is to be expected with a full-size pickup.

Huge Mistake On This Purchase
By addiesue

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new in 1999 and have had nothing but problems from day one. I had 4,200 miles on it and the serpintine belt failed. I have replaced the intake gasket,all the u-joints,front wheel bearing,brake lines,idler pully,another serpintine belt,the fuel pump is going out,cat conv,front speakers,has a broken latch on inside quad doors,headlights get water in them,,trans slips,replaced speed sensor,replace trans pan rust caused a hole,clear coat on roof is gone. i have 83,000 miles on this truck and I would never buy a Dodge truck again.Note to owners on the auto-trans, put in (nuteral) and run for 2 min before driving the torque conveter drains fluid while sitting and ruins trans.

Stay Away From This Truck
By scott241

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I bought this 5.2L truck used with 14,000 miles for $14,000. I loved it until it had about 70,000 miles on it. Now it has 111,00 miles on it and the following has had to be replaced: plenum/intake gasket, clutch, tie rods, ball joints, catalytic converter, heater core, main computer, brakes and rotors (three times), steering damper, and shocks. It now needs the front and rear transmission seals, and new front wheel bearings. It is parked until I can sell it. I have always maintained this truck and never really hauled anything with it. I expect a bit more life than this for the money I pay. Shy away from this one.

Favorite Features

The body is still in good shape, but other than that it seems made to fall apart.

Suggested Improvements

Just about everything. Looks can be deceiving.

1999 Dodge 4x4 rating
By kingcarz

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck in 2002 w/40,000 miles on it, and the transmission was slipping the day after I got it, replaced brake lines, coil, crank sensor, battery, transmission, intake gaskets, water pump, rear u-joint, front axle u joints 3 times now, replaced front seals 2 times and they still leak, truck will not run more that 10 minutes when it snows, and once a week or so, the truck will not start, cranks though, repaired door locks/latches, replaced caliper, brakes 3 times front and 1 on rear brakes, delayed wipers stop on middle of windshield, Dash board cracked, light on key switch would not turn off-had to pull bulb, upper compartment on ceiling broke easily, muffler been rusted out 5 y

Favorite Features

Seating capacity, comfortable, fun to drive when it runs, and has been a heavy work horse, tows well

Suggested Improvements

transmission and intake gaskets, front wheel seals/u-joints, cracked dash board

Dependable machine
By g dolski

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dash has never cracked! (must be that armor all hahaha) I bought this truck because of the way it looked back in 2001, big and mean. Very reliable truck, she has always gotten me back home, not afraid to go driving long distance. regular maintenance goes a long, long way. The only major repair I had to do was the torque converter (replaced with aftermarket high stall) and added a transmission cooler because the transmission started acting up at around 120k and haven't had any problems since. Strong 5.9 magnum will spin 35's no problem and still have lots of horses left to pull that moose out. Next truck will definitely be another Dodge whenever this one goes, not for a long time.

Favorite Features

It feels like a solid truck when driving, it sits nice and high stock. solid front axle (nice and strong). lots of interior room and seat is comfortable. maintenance wise easy to fix, lots of room all around to change and add parts.

Suggested Improvements

1st thing get a transmission cooler and 2nd cold air intake if anything. Buy greasable-aftermarket steering parts when they go. Buy greasable anything that needs to be greased