1996 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
It just won't die
By Afterthought on 01/05/10 13:04 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got this car 9 years ago with 25k on it. Sure I've replaced tons of parts (head gasket, alternator, water pump, but not a signle front end part)but I'm not too nice to a car. Decided 2 years ago I'd run it until it died because it's worthless to sell, but the damn thing just won't die. Dents all over, door panel coming off, blown rear strut, but still the thing gets me wherever I'm going reliably and handles the winter better than a 4x4 (and does nice e-brake slides). I'm gonna miss her when she's retired this month, like the really sweet ugly girl you dated that you don't want to admit to.

Do not buy!
By UNHAPPY on 10/26/08 19:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is the worst vehicle that I have ever known. Granted, I bought it salvage title due to a small dent. It only had 70k and I figured it was a champ, by the sound of the engine. $3,000 later, I hate myself for it. I've been through every system of this car. The head gasket, the alternator, the fuel pump, etc. I loath Dodge. Never buy a Neon. Reviews like this are common for this model. I am junking it tomorrow for less than I bought it.

Great little car!
By Chanda on 07/02/06 20:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had my Neon since May 5, 1997. She's only let me down once due to a freak problem with the idler pulley causing the timing belt to disintegrate at 87,000 miles. We rebuilt her and she's stronger than ever. She was hit on the front passenger corner in November of 2005 and was declared a total loss by the insurance company. We bought her back, fixed her up, and she lives yet again. She's a great car that gets awesome mileage while being a total blast to drive! She's a hoot on the autocross course, too ;)

Very Reliable car
By Joe on 02/12/06 11:36 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new back in '96. I have to say that as many others have mentioned, I had to change the head gasket, and I had the normal problems with other parts of the car. The latest thing I had to face was a malfunction of the speed sensor, however, it was replaced (not a very expensive replacement part) and everything was back to normal. The painting peeled off the roof, and the rest of the car was darkening (it is white, so you can tell it darkens), but I took it to a furnace full body painting in 2003 and it is brand new now! This car has never left me stranded, and even though the gas mileage is not very good in the city, it is certainly fun to drive!

Fast, Comfortable, Very Dependable.
By donaldrocks on 11/29/05 19:07 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my daily driver, and has been for awhile. This car has never left me stranded, or broken down. Its taken 7 trips from michigan to flordia, and never hesitated to do anything, including stopping, dpeeding up quickly, taking curves at high speeds, and always has gotton good gas mileage. I had bought this car after its acident in 2004, and the lot fixed it, and I drove it off the lot, and have had alot of fun with this car in the summer, and it handles great in the winter. By the way, teh heat in these little Neons rocks! A+

Good little reliable car
By Elisa on 05/18/05 03:52 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Neon in 12/2000 and it has always been a great little car for the money. It does have its problems but what car doesn't? Some notable ones were: the head gasket blew at 43,000 miles. The air conditioner worked great until 60,000. The transmission needed replacement at 115,000. Cosmetically, the paint seems to be a big problem with Neons, as it starts to peel and chip around 80,000 miles. It has always been very reliable for me- always starts when you need it to. The ride is a little noisy as the windows sometimes don't seal properly. The seats are relatively comfortable. The only complaint I have is cruise control is not standard. I would recommend the Neon for a 1st car or single person/couple.

NEON - EXCELLENT, NEVER NEEDS REPAIRS!
By BNeon on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

Car was bought new in 96. Car has never failed me yet. Only returned to the dealer once for the infamous headgasket leak at 47k miles. Even though the car was out of warranty Chrysler fixed it for free! Car starts on the coldest mornings, A/C blows extremely cold on the hottest days. Car is very quick with the manual transmission, and gas mileage is excellent, can get 40mpg+ over the highway. Can't be happier with a car, cost $9000 new and still going strong! What more can you ask for?

Never buy a Neon!
By ever on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

Paint peeled, speedometer went, guages worked intermittently, had gauge transplant, oil warning still failed, CONSTANT problems w/ breakdowns -- oil leaks, gaskets, have poured money into fixing it -- don't want to add it up. Noisy, hard to get out of, cup holders impossible, no clock, no oil gauge, overhead light went on while driving & couldn't be fixed, same with radio; hence no interior light (had to take out bulb) -- a PAIN!!!!!!

nice to drive, but relability problems
By cbeck on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought with 102000 miles. Fun to drive. handles nice. Not too bad power wise for a small car. Timing belt broke with a 142000 miles. Bent up all the valves in the head. Facing expensive repairs. Had constant oil leaks from engine. Transmission speed sensor went bad. Trunk lock doesn't work. Ac quit working. Car seemed to self destruct at about 140,000.

Best Little Car
By TexRodeo on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car was bought at a Vehicle Auction sale for the bargan price of $1400. And I bought it from a friend of mine. She has been a Great little car, Comfortable, Reliable and with Cab Forward design....(GREAT LEG Room for all) NO Power but gets me where I need to go with No questions asked.