2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Best Truck in town
By mullicamick on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Take the Dakota for a test drive like I did , and you'll buy it .. It's fun , tough , roomy , and with the 4.7L it will tow my boat without a problem.

Great Truck
By big_george on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Have a '92 Dakota Club Cab and needed more room in back for my kids. The Quad Cab is perfect. Ride and handling are great, seats are confortable on long rides and cabin is pretty quiet when I leave the kids at home. Love the power of 4.7 V8 engine; have a 3.9 V6 in the '92 and that engine is weak. Both trucks have automatic transmissions. My gas milage for the V8 (14/18)is not much different from the V6 (14/19) but have to use 89 octane in the V6 to keep it from pinging. The V8 uses 87 octane no problem. Get the V8, you'll be happier.

Dakota Muscle
By PatulDakota on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Absolutley the best vehicle I've owned to date. It's my first truck, normally I drive small vehicles and dream about Firebirds and Camaros. But when you live in Central NY, the pony cars are useless. In 1999, I test drove my Dakota Sport 4x4 and owned it within 30 minutes. My first trip was from Utica to Buffalo for a Jets/Bills game (Jets won!!). I traveled in a blizzard with the 4x4 passing everyone on the NYS Thruway. I have 50,000 on it and it runs like it did on the first day!

Great truck, could be a bit better
By Rook on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

(V8 Manual) I have been taking this truck all over the south, on highways, on dirt roads, a bit off road, and I love it. Powerful even uphill, very smooth and quite silent, except at high speed when the wind noise gets a bit too loud. The bed is adequate, but I really missed the extra .7 of a foot. I liked the manual transfercase better than the electric one. I tried a toyota tundra and it felt smaller than the Dakota, and I couldn't get a manual transmission for the V8. Why do some manunfacturers take the manual transmission away from V8's??

Awesome
By kiphart on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I am a Former Ford Truck guy to staart with. This truck does everthing my full size Ford did, with more style and versatility. It performs more like a car in the ride but works like a full size truck. This dakota is just Awesome.

Great truck
By Jim123 on 06/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is my third Dakota. I thought I would try a Pathfinder and decided the V6 would not tow my small trailer. I went back to the Dakota Quad with the 4.7 and what a pleasure it is to drive. No problems with hills and I think the gas mileage is just as good as the Nissan V6. No problems so far and it looks great.

Excellent Combination of Features
By jwhite on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is the best vehicle I've ever owned, including an '89 Acura purchased new. The Dakota with 4.7 L V8 has excellent leg room for a 6 footer, more power than I can possibly use, an excellent sound system (infinity), a quiet cabin, and good structural integrity. I compared the Dakota with the Ford Ranger and the Toyota Tacoma. These vehicles did not offer the same level of luxury and features as are found on the Dodge.

Dakato club cab V8 4x4
By scott101 on 05/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

The only complaint about this vehicle is the gas mileage. Granted it's a V8, but it still should get a higher mpg average.

go dodge go
By PRJOHNS69 on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

THE V-8 OPTION IS EXCELLENT. THE FUEL CONSUMPTION IS POOR. TEST DROVE THE 6 CYL IT IS VERY WEAK. CHECK YOUR DEALERSHIP OUT. THE DEALERSHIP WHERE WE PURCHASED OUR DODGES WOULD RANK A 2 AS FAR AS HONESTY AND SERVICE.

Love my Quad
By franzia on 05/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I had a 2000 Dakota club cab, but I needed more room in the back because my two little girls are not so little any more. I was going to by a SUV (Liberty), but once I drove the 2002 Quad cab I was sold, plus I got an excellent deal.