2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
The perfect truck has arrived...
By dakotadon on 04/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for 16 months and have enjoyed every one of my 22000+ miles. The 4.7L V8 gives it a sports- car feel when merging/passing at high MPH. The ride on pavement is smooth, yet it performs admirably off-road. I especially like those roomy flip-up rear seats. I'm 6'4", and the only thing that makes me uncomfortable while riding in the back seat is the fact that I'm not actually driving!

Sweet Ride
By Silver RYno on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought My Quad Last year based on the Versatility and Awesome looks. I knew, before buying, that I would be getting fair gas mileage (4.7L V8 4X4). Well I was right, due to city driving, I have been getting 13 mpg. When I do get to take it out on the Highways I get around 16-17. 2 Small things that have gone wrong since I bought it: A vacum Hose broke 2 weeks after I bought it (fixed for free), and My hazards come on sometimes when I use my turn signal (not fixed yet). But Those are really is my only complaints. I Love driving it! It looks awesome and it does everything I ask of it from hauling my 5 friends to hauling fire wood. Love My Toy!!

I Love This Thing!!!
By LoveThisBaby!!! on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first new vehicle. My Previous was a 92 dakota with the v6, and boy oh boy is the V8 worth every penny. This has to be one of the fastest vehichles in production, (for the price). I wish I got the manual instead of the auto and 4wd instead of 2wd, but you can't be picky when shopping off the lot.

PLEASE DON'T BUY!! Dodge Corp. NO help!!
By WillieP on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Nothing but problems since the first week!! Stuck with this P.O.S. Several problems with the transmission that supposedly was "matched nicely" to the 4.7L engine. Problems are "deemed normal" by the dealership. I'll drive it till something breaks to recreate the problem for them. Interior fan motor is done. Nothing like the smell of a burning fan motor in the morning. Nice acrid smell of burning plastic/wires. Popping noise at front wheel bearings in turns. Tried to get Dodge Corp. to swap it out and I'd pay the difference. NO DEAL! I'll just take the couple thousand loss on a trade soon. It'll be worth it!

Lemon
By Darryl Knieff on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had poor luck with my Dakota! It will shimmy, try to die, rattles, and has poor power on take off. I hav been told by (experts) that this is normal for this truck. Now you and I know this isn`t true. It also has major slack in the drive-train. My gas mileage is much worse than sticker showed. This is the second Dakota bought new that I have had problems with, a 93, and this 02,. Who would dream of getting 2 lemons in a row, or is this the standard for dodge. I will never own another chrysler product!

i like this truck
By theeewweeee on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

had truck since 03 2002 no problems so far good family truck with power when needed, would recommend to anyone.

Steer Clear ONLY as a LAST resort.
By dodgeneveragain on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Have had ALOT of problems since the purchase. Lost the transmission within the first 2,000 miles. Still having some problems at shifting points of the transmission. Rough idle. Surge in the motor at hwy speed. Several other misc. problems that mysteriously can't be recreated at the dealership. Have noticed very poor overall craftsmanship upon closer inspection after the purchase. Little Late then!! Oh well, stuck for now. NEVER again!! If I can keep at least ONE person from buying, this comment will not have been in vain. Will look at Chevrolet, Ford or Import next time!!

Dodge Dakota
By SVurno on 12/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I couldn't be happier.

4 DR Quad Cab 4WDR
By brandy66 on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in june of 2002 with the 4.7 engine and tow pakage. I have taken it hunting fishing and camping. Ive pulled my boat with it and have had no problems at all. It is grate for the family plenty of room in the back seat for two kids and room left over.The 4.7 is awsom chevy and ford dont make a small truck that can compare.I drive a mix of highway and city and get about 15.3 miles to the gallon with 3400 miles on the truck now. Iam hopeing this will get alittle better as I get more miles on it. I chose the dodge truck for a few reasons.Looks, Price the price is better than the ford or chevy.style, interior room. power from the 4.7 is great.

Nice truck
By victoria on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After driving a Dodge Caravan for years, it was a little difficult to get used to the truck-like ride. However, for a truck, I think the ride is pretty good. I'm concerned about the way it handles over bumps. Could use more head-room. Seat belts are hard to put on. Nice acceleration and fun to drive.