2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Dakota sxt v6 regular cab
By mainer351 on 02/01/12 09:05 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Best and most reliable truck ever owned. When I first got it, needed a computer and some maintenance after that it runs like a champ and it does what I ask it to do and never lets me down. The 3.9 v6 magnum starts right up in sub zero temps in the middle of brutal Maine winters and runs strong. The truck gets up and goes with the 3.92 rear , while its missing top end power. The 4wd in the truck is awesome with good clearance and it out classes any fords, chevys, and toyotas offroad. Take this truck to rugged Maine north country offroad through mud holes , rivers and mountains every summer to go camping and its never giving me a problem. Very good looking truck and fun to drive.

I love my Dodge
By Cal on 01/08/10 15:18 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my truck since it had 27 miles on it and it currently sits at a hair below 130k. Besides the water pump going bad and it still running fine for 3 years until it finally exploded, I've had not a lick of problems. Other then the standard oil changes around 5k miles and only 2 tuneups, I haven't touched a single thing otherwise. This truck has been through hell and back and still starts at the turn of a key. 2500 lbs of block in the bed couldn't hurt this truck. Beaten and abused is the best way to put it and its still my daily driver. IF it ever dies, i will indeed be looking for my next dakota. Excellent truck. By far the best vehicle I've owned.

Horrendous Update
By Bill Sohonage on 11/07/09 07:44 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is an update. Bought for 9k with 27k on it, Dec."07". 51k motor goes PING, bearings and crank need replaced. Despite meticulous attention and mobi1 1. One k over 50k warranty and dealer laughs at me. I replace crank and bearings myself, lasts another 8k and motor goes again. Replace with 30k junkyard motor and two weeks later tranny goes! In 30k miles, I've also replaced, AC Compressor, full exhaust, front hubs, power steering hoses, starter (twice!), brakes, rotors and needed to replace with over sized brake pins as the originals were worn and too loose! 4 Oxygen sensors... Oh,lets not forget the fan control module under glove box which caught fire. AHHHH

Horrible Mileage then Blown Engine!
By Bill on 12/03/08 09:26 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle at a Dodge Dealership used for $9k with 27k on it. Changed my oil to Mobil 1 upon purchase, and regularly at 3k intervals. Worst truck I have ever owned. The 3.9L engine knocks/taps when put under load. At 32k engine light came on, code said that 2 of 4 oxy-sensors needed replaced, $96 each, did myself, 3k later the other 2 go out. Put 10k on a year, only light hauling, never towed a trailer. At 51k motor blows, with "extended" 50k warranty . Dealer gave me nothing, they wanted $3,200 for new motor (replace crap with crap!). Rebuilt myself, case full of sludge,lower bearings trashed. No space to recline seats. Can't wait to dump this 10 to 12 MPG nightmare.

Great buy
By Tom on 07/10/07 19:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this used from a private owner to replace our 1988 Dakota last November. The '88 got to where it would just die on the road. We've been very pleased with it and it hasn't given us any trouble at all, and it never gave the previous owner any trouble. It rides smooth as silk, seat is very comfortable, drives well, great truck. Plenty of space, though back seat is terrible to ride in. All in all, great buy.

Excellent truck
By sogospfan on 06/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I just don't like the 15mpg gas mileage. I have only had the truck for 3 weeks and have put over 1000 miles on it. It is so fun to drive. I love it.

I Love This Thing!!!
By LoveThisBaby!!! on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first new vehicle. My Previous was a 92 dakota with the v6, and boy oh boy is the V8 worth every penny. This has to be one of the fastest vehichles in production, (for the price). I wish I got the manual instead of the auto and 4wd instead of 2wd, but you can't be picky when shopping off the lot.

Good Value
By Jackneye on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my new Dakota and I am impressed so far. I was reluctant to look into a Dodge, but as I researched other trucks (mid-size & full-size), I found the Dakota to have the best value. The interior is especially comfortable and the club cab actually provides a decent amount of extra space. The ride is very car-like, and the power, although not overwhelming, is adequate. In comparison with other compact trucks, the Dodge's styling blows the competition away. All in all I am pleased with the truck and I feel I got the most bang for my buck.

Where's the head Room
By urban cowboy on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

25 yrs.former F150 and Ranger-fan. Dakota sport reg cab drives like a car, only on smooth pavement. I like the stiffness in the stiring, but veh. bouncing on rough roads. Some weird noises at times very unusual. Dodge engine sounds like diesel when cold. But quiets dwn when warmed up. Unlike ranger this truck has no room in cab. to wear a cap or hat. What no cosmetic add ons???

Dakota Muscle
By PatulDakota on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Absolutley the best vehicle I've owned to date. It's my first truck, normally I drive small vehicles and dream about Firebirds and Camaros. But when you live in Central NY, the pony cars are useless. In 1999, I test drove my Dakota Sport 4x4 and owned it within 30 minutes. My first trip was from Utica to Buffalo for a Jets/Bills game (Jets won!!). I traveled in a blizzard with the 4x4 passing everyone on the NYS Thruway. I have 50,000 on it and it runs like it did on the first day!