2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Great Truck
By Jason on 02/08/10 11:24 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my truck (4.7 2wd quad) new November 2000. I get 24 highway and 18 mixed driving. I have a camper shell on it so maybe that helps with the better mileage as compared to other postings. Over these 9+ years I have had one window motor, Oxygen sensor, air- bag sensor go out, about $900 dollars total from the dealer. No other problems with the truck so far.

very happy with truck
By Moneydriver on 01/13/10 07:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

over all this has been a very dependable trk. other than recalls, had a problem with front leather seat that cracked at 36000 mi. that dealer wouldn't take care of. still looks good and drives great. have AWD plus 4wd in Midwest and never been stuck. gas mileage runs around 15-16 could be better.

2001 dakota quad cab 4x4
By eddie on 04/26/09 05:29 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

truck has 197,000 and still running strong. 4x4 works great and has a 4.7 v8 that will get up and go. great truck!

Get up N Go
By Rob on 09/13/08 15:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I just got rid of my 5.7 04 Tahoe which was slower than a slug. I am so impressed by my 4.7 in the pickup that I added a cat back dual exhaust to help it breath. This truck flies and handles great. I do a lot of highway driving and noticed over 15 mpg. I will add a cold air box to see if I can improve this. The interior is comfortable to me. I have wanted one of these for years and am so delighted I bought it. The rear drive window did not work but the dealer fixed it. I noticed the pass door window not working at times, seems to be a very common problem on these trucks.

good truck ( except for mpg )
By norsmn on 06/11/08 10:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have been very satisfied with this vehicle, up until now when the fuel prices have gone sky high. Mileage not bad in summer highway driving, but in cold winter temps it is poor. One power window motor quit working at about 40k miles. Had 2 factory recalls for the ball joints and a shift lever block problem. They were easily taken care of by dealership.

careful of 4.7 engine
By disappointed on 05/25/08 20:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I liked the 4.7 until I found out that by the time the check gauges light comes on, it is too late. My Dakota is sitting in the driveway with a blown motor. This all-aluminum engine is VERY prone to overheating, which will quickly ruin it. Turns out the water pump is very fragile too. Not sure whether the water pump or the head gasket went first. This is with only 76,000 miles on it. Suggest carefully looking at the 5.9 engine, even though it has a little less power and less mileage.

my truck
By wayne on 05/06/08 08:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Great riding truck, with the v8 magnum 318, has lots of power. We put an energy cell on the fuel pump and we get 20 miles to a gallon average. We are not getting rid of this truck, has lots of miles left on it

Very good truck
By M. Woehrle on 07/26/07 14:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This truck has given me 85,000 miles of worry free driving so far. I have had no major problems. The only repair other than normal maintenance has been a power window motor. Interior is comfortable, even on long drives. Styling is excellent. Ride and fuel mileage are pretty reasonable for a 4wd truck with a V8. I average 13-15 around town, and about 19 on the highway.

2001 Dakota quad cab 4x4 4.7 v-8
By mattew heddings on 12/29/06 15:30 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Truck has awesome power from the 4.7L v- 8, but you sacrifice gas mileage, I originally got 11.6mpg in town was able to increase it to 12.5-13mpg by adding an AFE cold air intake and a spacer ring on the throttle body to atomize the gas better. 3 of the 4 power windows quit working and truck only has 71000 miles on it, Dealer wants $250- 270 dollars a door to fix. seems it should be recalled.

2001 Quad Cab
By mtrialsm on 12/12/06 10:15 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Dodge. I wanted a mid-size truck with 4 doors. The Quad was the only truck that fit the bill. I have been very pleased with this vehicle. Only problems have been taken care under factory warrenty. The ball joints were replaced at 33,000 miles and will be replaced again soon.