Used 1996 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Lumina

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

It's reliable
By Stephanie

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Although I bought a gently used 2004 Camry today, I am sad to say goodbye to my Lumina. It has been an excellent car to me. It's no longer aesthetically pleasing, there's lots of rust, dings, and dents. But it has never failed to start and get me where I was going even in two feet of Ohio snow. During this extensive ownership period, beyond regular maintenance I've only had to replace a water pump, an alternator, and an EGR valve. None of which resulted in a breakdown, just poor performance until it was fixed. Oh, the power steering pump is noisy, but still works fine. I'd recommend this car to anyone as a used vehicle. Still seeing lots of them around. Still strong after 135,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Absolutely the most reliable car I've ever owned. Drove it daily and hard for a decade. Husband will continue to use it for a work car!

Suggested Improvements

That blasted ashtray is in a bad spot, and the rust under the door frame is, well, pretty overwhelming. Minor complaints in an overall great car!

Lumina Solid Performer at a Nice Price
By LuvMyLumina

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Purchased this 1996 Lumina used in 1998. Best car purchase ever! The Lumina is a smooth riding, nicely equipped vehicle that didn't break the bank. I only wish Chevy still manufactured it as I would love to purchase another one. This vehicle has been reliable and durable even with being parked outside in the coldest of Midwest winters and the elements that come along with them. The only drawback is the small area of rust on the driver side rear quarter panel. This vehicle still looks good and performs well even though it hasn't been garaged for several years. Chevy definitely got it right and would do well to bring this model back into it's lineup.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, reliability and reasonable price.

Suggested Improvements

None, except that I would like to see it back in production.

Nice Car!
By Sebaot

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1996 Lumina base sedan and brought it to Mexico City, where I live. The power is good for American standards of driving, but here in Mexico we drive a way faster, so it feels sometimes underpowered, especially at steep climbs. I think is due to the altitude. Suspension works fine and is very comfy, specially on bumpy roads. The seats are good, but driver's seat lacks a lot of lumbar support, so is likely to catch some back pain. The car overall is very reliable. Did the loong trip down here wonderfully, and makes me look different! A long, low, and wide American car at a sea of short, tall, and narrow European hatchbacks and sedans.

Favorite Features

V6 noise, good A/C, roomy, super quiet, smooth shifts.

Suggested Improvements

Drivers' seat is too low, and lacks lumbar support

Keeps going and going
By Travis Wynn

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

This is the most reliable car I've ever had. Have 100k on it and it still has factory battery, never needed any major repair, well has never needed any repair except for the intake gasket. Good on fuel for its class. GM should consider make more cheap reliable cars like the Lumina.

Favorite Features

Great for road trips, lots of room!

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, you have to really labor to stop these cars. And a better built drivers seat.

It really isn't too good to be true
By RJCHudson

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

We have done several long trips in our Lumina and it has performed well in all conditions, even out performed some SUV's on the slippery stuff. It has loads of room and good features for the price. After our first accident (being run off the road at 30 mph) we had to replace the intake gasket (probably going anyway )the preformance picked up like you wouldnt believe. I just got rear ended by a Wrangler (me 0 mph them 40 mph) and we have less damage than them, currently waiting to find out what the insurance company wants us to do but we are hoping to be able to keep it

Favorite Features

Size, features, reliable, looks, fuel economy, strength, can't find a fault.

Suggested Improvements

Intake gasket, having to rotate the engine to get to the spark plugs.