1996 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
Good family car
By Chevy owner on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Overall I like my car, always starts and runs well for the most part. is very roomy, and handles pretty good. I would of liked a little more power out of the engine which when its cold outside the engine just began to make a tapping noise? The engine also this year began using about 1 quart of oil in-between 3500 mile oil changes. Car only has 75000 mile on it bought it a year old with 10000 in 1997. Interior of car is wearing out faster then rest of the car. Cup holder in arm rest broke about a year ago. Driver seat mounting bracket just broke this month.

good family car
By denise5374 on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new. It now has 87000 miles on it and it has been a good car. Other than routine maintnance not much ellse has had to be done. Recently, the spark plugs wires and one fuel injector needed to be replaced. I agree with the poor design of the armrest cup holder, mine broke off after 5 years. The onlly other complaint is the CD player stereo system my CD broke after 3 years and it would have cost $200 to repair.

Death (untimely) of a 1996 Lumina
By Lorne Greene on 07/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Routine maintenance was fine - nothing major just brakes, oil changes, nor =mal service. Car was highway driven and not punished. At 85,000 it needed a new head gasket and at 110,000 blew two connecting rods at 60 MPH. No warning on either - just failure. Liked the car but will never buy another one. My 1990 Toyota Camry just went past 225,000 miles and all it ever requires is rountine maintenance, oil changes an occasional set of brakes and one clutch (155,000 miles).

Best Car I Ever Owned
By wthomas on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

This Lumina, which I purchased new, has been a great purchase. The car has been very reliable and the 6 cylinder engine and transmission work very well together. Excellent power performance for weight of car. The radio is top notch and I enjoy the speed/noise sensitive automatic volume control. The AC unit is excellent. Cold is COLD. Overall my best car ever, and not a bad price.

Reliability Plus!
By maxpar98 on 05/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I have now owned this car for 120,000 miles and only replaced a $70.00 transmission sensor other than routine maintenance items. Car now has 152,000 miles and has no problems. Amazingly these cars are cheap to buy.

Disbelief
By Toony on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I went looking for a used car in the $5000 range, expecting to get some kind of small box. When the salesman showed me the Lumina, I figured it was out of my price range (wrong - after research and playing hardball, I got it for $4100). I put another $500 in maintenance repair at my mechanic's shop, and now I have a car that one co- worked thought was new off the lot. This car is great. It's big, can fit both kids comforably in the back, is quiet and quick. I love it.

Great Reliable Car
By Sanjit on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2001 with 90K on it. It has been a great car with no repairs. It is a very reliable and comfortable car. I had no problems while driving 400 miles at a strech. Gas mileage is not bad considering a V6 engine. Overall great value for money.

good car
By KdawG on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

this is a good car, i bought it now to long ago and now my mom is getting a lumina now also.

Good Car
By Carman on 09/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Great car. Very reliable and cost- efficient.

Great car/great value
By Lars on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

Reliable car - bought it used with 28,000 miles and it now has 95,000. Other than normal maintenance, we've only had to replace the A/C compressor this summer (we live in a hot climate). Great car for the $$$