Used 1996 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Value Consumers Dream
By Harrell

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

It amazes me when I see these below $3,000 and below 80,000 miles. I have had my Lumina for 7 years, used it all through college and after graduation. I put in oil every 3000 and gas when it goes down, and have not spent a dollar above that. Its in great shape, nothing overly-appealing about the car, but its reliable. Would highly reccomend these models, though I have heard anything above a 2000 has had some issues with quality. Perfect for a parent to buy for student.

It is what it is. Reliable, but has very little bells and whistles. One cupholder and usually an am/fm with cassette deck.

Absolute Lemon
By Al S

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

This has got to be the worst car experience ever. We bought this car which was a cream puff. Low original miles on what was verified a local use car or "grocery getter" The car had about 35000 miles and looked and sounded smooth as silk. The first week of our owning the car showed what a disaster this car was. In that time we spent $900 for wheel bearing, directional switch, ignition lock cylinder failure. Two years later, intake manifold gasket failure ($400). That led to the cam shaft bearing failure which meant new engine ($3000). Now after all said and done, a P1870 transmission component slip (possible new trans?) Just one bad design after another! Goodbye American cars!

It's reliable
By Stephanie

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Although I bought a gently used 2004 Camry today, I am sad to say goodbye to my Lumina. It has been an excellent car to me. It's no longer aesthetically pleasing, there's lots of rust, dings, and dents. But it has never failed to start and get me where I was going even in two feet of Ohio snow. During this extensive ownership period, beyond regular maintenance I've only had to replace a water pump, an alternator, and an EGR valve. None of which resulted in a breakdown, just poor performance until it was fixed. Oh, the power steering pump is noisy, but still works fine. I'd recommend this car to anyone as a used vehicle. Still seeing lots of them around. Still strong after 135,000 miles.

Absolutely the most reliable car I've ever owned. Drove it daily and hard for a decade. Husband will continue to use it for a work car!

That blasted ashtray is in a bad spot, and the rust under the door frame is, well, pretty overwhelming. Minor complaints in an overall great car!

Lumina Solid Performer at a Nice Price
By LuvMyLumina

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Purchased this 1996 Lumina used in 1998. Best car purchase ever! The Lumina is a smooth riding, nicely equipped vehicle that didn't break the bank. I only wish Chevy still manufactured it as I would love to purchase another one. This vehicle has been reliable and durable even with being parked outside in the coldest of Midwest winters and the elements that come along with them. The only drawback is the small area of rust on the driver side rear quarter panel. This vehicle still looks good and performs well even though it hasn't been garaged for several years. Chevy definitely got it right and would do well to bring this model back into it's lineup.

Roomy interior, reliability and reasonable price.

None, except that I would like to see it back in production.

Nice Car!
By Sebaot

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1996 Lumina base sedan and brought it to Mexico City, where I live. The power is good for American standards of driving, but here in Mexico we drive a way faster, so it feels sometimes underpowered, especially at steep climbs. I think is due to the altitude. Suspension works fine and is very comfy, specially on bumpy roads. The seats are good, but driver's seat lacks a lot of lumbar support, so is likely to catch some back pain. The car overall is very reliable. Did the loong trip down here wonderfully, and makes me look different! A long, low, and wide American car at a sea of short, tall, and narrow European hatchbacks and sedans.

V6 noise, good A/C, roomy, super quiet, smooth shifts.

Drivers' seat is too low, and lacks lumbar support