Used 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

1997 cavilier z24
By jon

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

the car has held up nice other than the paint sracthes easy, i only have 68000 miles on it now and have bought it brand new. in all these years i used synthetic oil, installed a cold air intake. and tires and brakes and a altenator. so i feel real proud of this great purchase

i like how fast it is, and reading some of the reviews on the cars slow,...those are the reviews from people that didnt spend a lil extra to get the z24.

add another cup holder please, and improve the paint.

Z24 love it
By D White

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I inherited this car from a friend who had it for less than a year. I intended to sell it right away, but changed my mind after driving it a bit. For the size and class of car, it's definitely one of the most fun ones I've had. And it loos good! Easy to maintain, and reasonable priced, I truly believe I got a sweet deal.

Looks, acceleration, fuel mileage, uses regular unleaded.

Beefier door hinge pins. Typical of most coupes, the doors are longer and heavier, and will take their toll on standard hinge pins over time.

Another mediocre GM car.
By Peter

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I've done all the preventative maintenance to date on my Cavalier. The brakes chatter most, but not all the time. Often cannot get out of 1st or 2nd gear without pumping the clutch. Dealer tried fixing that by overfilling transaxle; a dumb idea. Electric windows are unreliable: sometimes they roll up, sometimes they don't. Power steering groans. Seats offer poor back support and have only two controls. No inside trunk release. Intermittent wipers often don't work. No outside air shut-off. No separate vent shut-offs. Cheap carpet. Engine stumbles, especially when cold, but good power. No passenger window or door controls on driver side. Dash warped; squeaks. Cigarette lighter fell off into unreachable area of dash interior. Minimal instrument panel.

Beautiful body styling. Air conditioner very cold, even after 96,000 miles without a freon flush, and even here in the hot Sacramento Valley. 150-hp Quad-4 engine moves car to freeway speeds quickly. Paint shows no evidence of oxidation or wear. CV joints still fully functional.

Hire someone from Toyota to replace everything but the body. We will not buy another GM car anyway.

Perfect For Me
By Lorrie99415

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

Got this car used, and was a little worried about some things I had heard. So far so good though. Being in college it gets me where I need to go in comfort and style, has plenty of pep, feels nice and sturdy to drive and doesn't cost much in gas at all. Could use an extra cup holder, but other than that I have no complaints. Would definately recommend this as a first car for anyone who is not sure what to get.

Overall style, nice and cheap for parts that rarely break down

Add a cup holder, other than that I'm happy as is!

By greennirvana102

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

well, ive had the car for about a year now and nothing really has gone wrong with it. its at 120,000 miles and still runs strong. I've put about $1000 in repairs though...... but that was all stuff I knew I had to get. Tires, water pump, and tune up. Overall, great car.

interior design and build quality..... things are really starting to rattle and squeak