2002 Audi A4 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Typical Euro car with high

2002 Audi A4 - Consumer Review

1.8T Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Typical Euro car with high maintenance requirements
By baldya4 on

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned the car since new with 220K miles. It has never been to the dealer or private mechanic except for the initial free maint and the few minor recalls. However, that is not to say it has not had its share of anomalies. Three timing belts, 3 water pumps, 3 batteries, One fuel pump, too many coil packs to count, one temp sensor, two valve cover gaskets and one thermostat. All this may sound horrible and it probably would be if I had no mechanical aptitude or desire to do my own repairs. The car is actually easy to work on. Very modular in the way things come apart. Information is readily available on the Net. I've kept this car because the 1.8T engine block is bullet proof.

Favorite Features

1. Driving dynamics. Handling, braking and overall feel of the car. 2. Looks. Exterior paint has held up well. Shines up nicely. 3. Easy to repair. The minor things that give this car a bad reputation might make some cringe. I find it easy to troubleshoot and repair. Parts get cheaper every year. 4.

Suggested Improvements

The rubber coatings on the knobs and switches is too fragile for long term wear. There are many plastic pieces throughout the car that will get brittle over time and cause problems. I've heard it described as, "Bad German plastic" Who knows?