Used 2000 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Total nightmare
By Tracy

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Don't. Everything breaks. It's all expensive. Never a repair under $150-300+ every other month. Worst vehicle ever.

Safe, solid and reliable car
By tc

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Drove for over 15 years with little to no maintenance that wasn't covered by excellent warranty.

Best money I ever spent on a used car--still!
By edanstrekal@live.com

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I've owned quite a few used cars. I was always attracted to unique or freaky cars--old Volkswagens, Cadillacs, 1980s Audis, and more recently Saabs. I always wanted a Volvo wagon because I thought they looked cool and I'd heard good things about reliability of the 2.4L five cylinder engine. I was a little hesitant about the electrical system as it seems all European vehicles have electrical issues, some more so than others. With that being said, this is by far one of the finest vehicles I have ever owned (and I only paid $2500)!

I bought it from the second owner with around 178K miles on it. The former owner provided me with all the maintenance records from the time it was new. In the last couple of years, he himself had addressed many of the preventative maintenance issues including timing belt, brakes, shocks, and radiator. The only issues were the lock on the tailgate doesn't work with the central locking system and there is a bulb burned out behind the odometer.

Since I've owned it, I've just kept the oil changed, tires rotated, and replaced the plugs and air filter when necessary. I've had a few issues with the check engine light coming on now and then, but I've just cleaned the MAF and throttle body thoroughly and that seems to have fixed it now for over a year and a half! It passes smog with flying colors. Update: I did recently replace the upper o2 sensor on account of the CEL not turning off. I unfortunately broke a few vacuum lines in the process, but everything is okay! CEL went off and the car is again running like a top.

The wagon is very utilitarian. I can carry all kinds of things in the back, bikes, dressers, tables, almost anything within reason. More recently I've been using the car to haul stuff for the events business my wife works for. I haul all kinds of flowers, chairs, linens, etc up to Lake Tahoe without problems. The heating and cooling are much better than expected (the A/C is great actually), and the acceleration for being a non-turbo isn't half bad. It's not a hot rod, but it has the power to go up and down over the Sierra Nevada mountains, which I often do on my way to Sacramento. The seats are some of the most comfortable I've ever experienced (I just wish mine had the heated leather). It is always nice returning to my Volvo after having a rental car. As far as gas mileage is concerned I average about 23.3 around town, and on long trips I can usually manage over 30. That's not half bad for a car this size and weight. Although it rattles, and it isn't the smoothest ride, it handles well, always starts up, and just keeps on going at even with 201,000 miles. It doesn't burn any oil and everything functions as it should, sans the tailgate lock. A great bang for your buck, and since it's old I really don't care what happens to it. I think this car has sold me on buying another Volvo in the future.

Update:
I parted ways with my V70 last weekend. I bought a slightly newer S60 with AWD. I am really hoping for the same reliability as the old wagon, but only time will tell. It had about 204,000 with no signs of slowing down anytime soon. The new owner was hard-pressed to find any real issues with the thing. I sold it to him for $1000, and I think it was a great deal. One thing is for sure, I'll never forget the joy and piece of mind this car brought me during ownership.

Car has grown on me
By dadinkc

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

After my wife got a new car, after much deliberation, I decided to sell my 5-series BMW and take her hand-me-down 2000 Volvo wagon.
At the time, the decision was driven a practical one - less expensive to own and maintain, more room for a family of 4 and performance in the snow.
2 years later, I couldn't be happier with the decision.
It has been reliable and everything I need in a vehicle with the exception of looking cool.
Fortunately, I'm way past worrying about looking cool.

Reliable, sufficient space for a family of 4, impressive acceleration and fuel economy for a wagon, performance in winter and comfortable interior.

the Swedish icon
By herman_wiegman

2000 Volvo V70 SE 4dr Wagon

Volvo has offered many generations of mid-sized station wagons. Only Subaru has been able to challenge the great value offered by the Swedish marque.
The 2000 Volvo V70 wagon was the last year for the P80 chassis and it came with a great 5-cylinder engine in either normally aspirated or turbo format.
The SE model was very popular and continues to satisfy many families as it ages gracefully compared with its competition.

The heated seats and nordic defrosters (on the rear window and rear view mirros) as well as the head light wipers and washer are great features for those in the northern climate. While the 5-speed manual transmission is a rare, but great feature for enthusiast everywhere.

The best way to improve this vehicle is to upgrade to ceramic brake pads and the use of advance lubricants on the brake caliper parts. This extends the life of the otherwise average reliability braking system. One other improvement was addressed in future model years, most notably the AWD system on the XC models was updated and is more capable than the system installed in the earlier (pre 2001) models.