Used 1998 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Bought a Used 1998 Volvo V70 Wagon FWD
By Katherine Rose

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I have always liked the design of the 1998 Volvo wagon. My husband had a 940 T wagon and it was awesome. So we bought this wagon used in 2009. It has been a great car up until 2016. It started off with a code P4099 which we could not find. Then the handle on the gear shifter when you depress it, it stays depressed which makes it easy to pop out of gear and then when you put it in park, you cant get your key out of the ignition until you get the shift handle to un-depress. Have to use the shift override button every time I take it out of park. Most annoying. To the left of the shifter is the readout for what gear your in, the plastic piece that fits in that area keeps moving and I cant tell what gear I am in. Had my brakes replaced and new rotors and they still squeal when depressed especially when going in reverse. Every so often the car shudders and acts like it is going to die. In fact this year 2017 just this week it died on me in traffic at a red light and I had a hard time getting it started. The car doesn't rev high when first started, but to me it idles high, the engine sounds loud unless I put it in neutral. 4 years ago the outside clear coat started peeling off. Looks terrible. Overall I have been very pleased with the car I have to say. The sound system is really nice. Great visibility. All the electronics works. Love the sunroof/moon roof. The interior is in really good shape. The seats are leather but they are a very hard leather, not sure why that is. Black exterior, graphite interior. I believe once I can put some money into fixing the current problems it will last me several more years. The gas mileage I am not happy about. Around town, driving some freeway and some inner streets I get 19 mpg. If I go on a long drive, I can get up to 22-26 mpg not great. I did have the windows tinted and it looks sharp.

Safe old reliable built like a tank
By K Mad

1998 Volvo V70 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Love this car! Although it is 19 years old, it offers solid handling and a smooth ride. It lacks the bells and whistles of the newer model but it's basic offerings are solid and reliable... Very few repairs in my 17 years of ownership and still going!
Can even fit my 10+ ft kayak inside and be able to close the hatch safely! Great alternative to a mini-van! Still going! Can't say that about a lot of cars these days!

great car overall
By broadbeard

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased in 2004 with 64,000 miles for my wife, she didn't like the 95 850 turbo wagon because it had too much power.
The light pressure turbo and AWD is much better for her.
I use high quality parts and do not have tire, brake, or other components wearing out prematurely.
Currently have Michelin Harmony and ceramic brakes, best ride of any car I've owned and the AWD makes the snow disappear.
Has not left us stranded in 10 years.
Not transmission problems, averages 22 MPG, can get 28 MPG on interstate.
High quality and good design.
As others posted, it is expensive to maintain at dealer.
I do most of the work, however, I do have a friend that helps me with more difficult repairs.

AWD, extensive repair forums and parts found online, cold weather package, seats 7. Reliable, easy to maneuver in traffic. Great handling, adequate power

Could use more headroom, sunroof rubs the top of my head. the AWD is great, however, makes it difficult for some maintenance such as fuel filter replacement and turbo drain tube seal replacement.

tiny pieces of plastic killed the car!
By beth55423

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall, we put 80,000 miles on a used 1998 Volvo, driving about 100 miles away. There was a lot that was good and reliable about the car.
But, you know those tiny plastic clips that hold all the interior trim pieces together? In six months we seemed to lose at least one a week. Inside of the back hatch fell off....trim piece above the driver's knees.... the plastic covering the switch for the power windows.... Then the gasket around the door, and the rubber strips on the roof rack... UGH.

We loved all the little storage spots. People used to tease me about how I always had the right tool or duct tape or what ever they needed, tucked away in the car.

OMG! Please find a better way to attach the trim pieces.

Fix it! No probs...
By neuftimes67

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This year car is easy to fix yourself, Ebay has tons of parts for every issue you may have. Makes me scratch my head when I see people say too much to maintain. well find another person or do yourself. Had this tank over 8 years and 2 kids learn to drive on it. they did not break it maybe a parking lot slam but replace fender and there ya go. Best car for my kids to learn to drive around and I feel they are safe, always starts, never failed ever. all I do is replace the rubber parts and electric stuff, shocks, break pads, took 3 day to replace timing belt but oh well. This car is a Tank. when my car breaks down I take out old reliable. so this Volvo v70x/c is a good buy.