Used 2013 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews

Used S60 for Sale
Select your model:
1...234567

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Best Car I have owned yet

hashmd, 02/25/2013
T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

My previous car was a top of the line 2006 Chrysler Town and Country. With the kids finally grown, I wanted a nice sedan to replace it after my son wrecked it. Of course, after a wreck, you want something safe. This car was the perfect balance of luxury, ride, performance, and gas mileage, all on REGULAR gas! Other luxury performance cars are strictly Premium grade gas. And this car passed the newest type of crash test at the IIHS which Mercedes, Audi, BMW didn't pass at all. Acura barely passed. Do other cars get better performance specs? Sure, but they cost noticably more. BMW gets better mileage, but again at higher purchase price and premium gas. 2/25/17-Now the 2nd best car I have ever owned. My new best car is my 2016 Volvo XC90. That is a whole another review! 2/27/18-Only breakdown was a battery went dead, which apparently then damaged the alternator. Alternators are hard to find for this car, new or used!

Swedish Tanks unite!

Myneed4swede, 10/08/2020
T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my 2013 Volvo S60 T5 with approximately 88,000 miles on it three years ago in 2017. It was a one owner vehicle that was maintained by one dealer the whole time. First off I want to say that overall I am very happy with my S60 as a major upgrade from a 2008 Honda Civic I owned previously from power to driver engagement and over to having some of the most comfortable seats in any vehicle under $100k! Not to mention the quality vault-like door shutting sound is almost unheard of in this price segment. I purposely sought out a 2013 and newer model since I knew the 2011 and 2012 models were affected by the piston ring Technical service bulletin(TSB) for oil consumption. Little did I know that I was buying an oil burner as well. I do all of my own repairs and service on my vehicles and religiously change the oil in the Volvo every 5,000 miles with Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5w30 and a Mann oil filter. Despite this and the impeccable service records of the dealer previous to my ownership the 2.5L would burn oil at the rate of 1QT/1000 miles. I decided to live with it that way for a couple of years since there isn't alot you can do in my state when it comes to vehicles purchased used "as is", even when bought through a dealer. Besides, I really enjoyed the rest of the vehicle. In the first two years I had to replace the driver’s side door lock actuator, full tune up, and replace the pcv/oil filter assembly. This revealed another downside, parts for Volvo's that are under 5 years old are right up there in price with the other European counterparts of VW and BMW; so don't expect to pay Honda Accord or Toyota Camry low cost levels for maintenance or repairs. Then 2 years into ownership with 120k miles on the clock I started having fouled spark plugs due to the excessive oil consumption despite the plugs only having 20k miles on Volvo OEM plugs. After further research I found the TSB for oil consumption was expanded to include 2013-2017 models with the 2.5L Turbo engine. I contacted Volvo corporate in Sweden and had them look over the vehicle. They confirmed that it was affected by the oil consumption and agreed to replace the piston rings at about 45% cost being passed on to me. But, they were willing to replace the Timing belt, water pump, belts, and tensioner that I purchased and provided to them. Being a TSB and not a recall the manufacturer is not obligated to pay for any of the repairs. So, seeing that Volvo was willing to meet me half-way gives me confidence that they stand by their products much more than most manufacturers do this day and age. Since this work was completed I’ve only had to replace a fuel pressure sensor that was acting up giving intermittent lost power issues that requires removing the air box and intake manifold to replace. Along with changing the transmission fluid for what I assume is the first service and it was BLACK (should be red). If you do your research on many vehicles you will find that the oil consumption is a pretty common issue across the board with many manufacturers trying to push the limits of the ever increasing fuel efficiency standards. And if you stick with the 2.5L Turbo as in the 2013's, you can rest assured you will never have the carbon buildup issues that plague almost all direct injection engines since Volvo still used good old port fuel injection with the 2.5. Now at 145k miles it runs great with the same power and luxury feel that it had when I bought it. Just got back from a 2,000 mile road trip without a single hiccup that returned 28mpg average while traveling through mostly mountainous roads. In mixed commuting I usually average 23mpg on Premium fuel. Looking to get another even more reliable 100k more miles out of the ole Swede! Overall, if you are looking for the higher end luxury feel that can only come from a European car without having to completely drain your wallet to the likes of an Audi or BMW, give Volvo a shot. It’s a little bit less of a “drivers car” than the aforementioned but your much lower insurance costs and overall maintenance will show it. Would definitely recommend to anyone trying to break into the segment.

3 out of 5 stars
1 out of 5 stars

See my original review for more details; this is a follow up

raindances, 03/18/2014
T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

Everything about this car is junk. Build quality, mechanical quality, transmission programming. I have never had a car I hated this much. Just wish it wasn't leased so I could trade it in. Don't believe what you read. I have driven other examples and they are similarly afflicted.

2.38 out of 5 stars

Volvo is not Volvo Anymore

nevervolvo, 05/25/2014
T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

No Volvo is better than the S80 until my engine blew after 32000 miles. For one month I drove loaner S60 T5 2012. I decided to buy one even though it was not comfortable and has no style. Factory incentives made it more advantageous to buy a new 2013. After the first day, the car when given light gas as in heavy traffic or starting from stop has a rattle sound like a paint can. The car went back 10 times from the dealer. A file was opened by Volvo NA and they said they all do that because of the CVTrans. The 2012 has different drive train. This car is junk and everytime I hear that rattle which is everytime I drive it reminds me of a $40K mistake. After 5 V's the next car is Lexus

Excellent performance