Used 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Tiguan for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Best Value for Base Model Out in the Market

Tom Rasmussen, 09/20/2016
S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is for my daughter for use at college and to get home on holidays. We checked out all the standard SUVs and test drove: Honda CRV, RAV4, Mazada CX-5, Hyundai Tucson, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, and Kia Sportage. Our selection criteria was all wheel drive, good acceleration, elevated seating view, heated car seats and decent gas mileage. Each of the cars tested had it pro's and con's. We finally selected the 2017 Tiguan despite it's aged design; 2018 will have a major update. This review is based on the first two thousand miles. Pro's: all wheel drive, high quality leatherette, heated seats, XM radio, Apple Car Play, rain sensing wipers, acceleration (turbo), and lots of standard features in base model. Con's: uses premium fuel, gas mileage not as good as competitors, and limited cargo space (although decent with seats down). Sticker price was around $28K and you should easily get one for at least $3K off.

4 out of 5 stars

Loving my VW Tiguan Sport!

Rich G, 04/18/2017
Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Traded my VW Passat in for a 2017 VW Tiguan Sport in Black. I choose the FWD since I live in Florida and so far I have been very happy with the vehicle. My commute is 33 miles round trip which is fairly light and the Tiguan is averaging 21-22 mpg on premium fuel. I am not thrilled about the premium fuel requirement however the performance from the 2.0 TSI engine is great! If there is a downside to the vehicle I would say the ride quality with the Sport can be harsh over rough payment on the highway. Overall I am very happy with my Tiguan and I plan to keep it for many years. I think it is interesting how an 8 year old design still gets compliments from folks at the gas station etc. Great job VW and I will be back for another when the time comes!

5 out of 5 stars

I am sold on this Tiguan!!

Beth, 06/25/2017
SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I loved my 2001 Jetta with almost 190,000 miles on it, but had trouble getting out of my long and very h illy driveway when it snowed. I made up my mind I needed fwd, but didn't want to let go of my Jetta. That decision was made for me when I was rear-ended in February and the Jetta was totaled. I wanted to stay with VW as I love their turbo engine. I found a 2017 Tiguan SEL fwd with 6,000 miles on it. Basically a new car at a used car price! I love this SUV - going up the gravel drive is already much better and can't wait wait for the snow and ice. The small cargo area does not bother me as that was low on my list but am pleasantly surprised at the back seat room. Love the cornering lights, the rain sensor windshield wipers, the automatic headlights, and heated seats. The control layout is great and of course the fuel injection turbo is awesome. Good thing I didn't heed the bad reviews, it's a great vehicle!

3 out of 5 stars

Good car with major flaws.

LNorman, 09/02/2017
Wolfsburg Edition 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is a good car; nice looking, nice interior, great sunroof. The car is not so good on fuel, engine is loud and there is a serious engine hesitation that may get you seriously hurt. When rolling to a stop sign and accelerating to turn left (mostly), the car stumbles and pumping the gas pedal to get it going doesn't help. One day, I'm going to get hit by somebody. I've taken it to the dealer and they can't fix it. The service tech owns the same car and has the same problem.

New technology is crap

P. H., 08/27/2018
S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bigger not always better. Already have had it towed to dealership. Battery terminal issues, other odd nondescript engine issues, no power, bad acceleration, wants to die like starved for air. May leave the VW brand after many years.

4 out of 5 stars

Acceptable, but I won't buy another.

Ray, 11/14/2018
Wolfsburg Edition 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We love it on the highway. Cruise control is precise. Accident avoidance w/ 4Motion is good. 2 Really close calls on the Interstate. Braking & lane changing saved us. No dents. The transmission is a real pain in city driving. Acceleration is not linear. Never sure what will happen when I accelerate slowly. Sometimes it downshifts and scoots, other times, not so much, while it searches for the right gear . Give it a lot of space in stop & go traffic. The electronics are fine for us baby boomers, but my kid brother called it "sparse". Best highway mileage is 29.9. City driving is in the upper teens. Transmission's constant shifting drove me nuts. Finally traded it for a 2017 Subaru Outback.

Hang On Cowboy

RobBob F, 07/04/2020
S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I’m really quite pleased with my Tiguan. I like how it looks. It’s got a nice sound system and you can hear it because cabin noise is low. It handles better than most, doesn’t drive like a family hauler. And wow. If you put your foot all the way into the gas you better hang on. And that’s just the S model. The factory tires were crappy and flatted easily. When the factory battery went weak it seemed like a major electric failure with idiot lights flashing everywhere. But it was only the battery and still in warranty. Heated seats are lovely. Oh, and my very short wife has no problem getting the seat where she wants it. And I at 6’1” can too.

Sporty compact SUV

WC3, 07/14/2020
Wolfsburg Edition 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is a good car for the money. It has sporty handling and quick acceleration for its size. The ride is smooth and steering is responsize. Interior uses quality materials. It has leatherette with heated seats. The Panoramic Sunroof is a great addition. Little details like card holders and the Wolfsburg emblem add to it's charm. The controls and tech has enough technological advances and quality to aid the driver but maintains that classic German utilitarianism. Cargo space is lacking slightly and MPG is lower when compared to other SUVs in its class at 20/24 mpg. Premium fuel is recommended and so there is no getting around the fact that it's pricey at the pump. In summary the Wolfsburg Edition Tiguan is a good car with just a few drawbacks.

Snappy and thirsty

Gabe, 10/19/2019
S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Fun to drive, drinks lots of premium gas. Very safe and tight. Noisy transmission. Horrible voice recognition system

My Sassy Tiguan ! Love the Wolfsburg edition

Amy O., 08/23/2020
Wolfsburg Edition 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I can honestly say I don’t miss my BMW and I love my 2017 VW Tiguan Wolfsburg edition price point is great, my VW is cute with 2 ton Black and Tan two tone interior, 4Motion I still have pep, interior makes me feel good, the drive and handling is excellent. Panoramic roof with sunroof is beautiful. I am beyond happy.

51050