Skip to main content

Save as much as $401
Select your model:
12345...10

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Perfect sized mini suv

Happy Taos Owner, 07/21/2021
S 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Recently purchased a Taos in the base trim (S). Even in base form it comes with carplay and the same powertrain as upper trims. It’s easy to drive, easy to get in and out, gets fantastic mpg and it’s very quiet. It is by far the most refined in this “tween” segment and directly competes with the trailblazer and seltos. The wheels on the base are my favorite and I hate camera inclusive windshields on upper trims. I don’t like drivers assistance features so the base fit the bill for me. The Taos also comes with awesome stock tires which is rare. The Bridgestone Turanza’s cut through puddles with no drama , and roll super quiet and smooth. The only thing I would like in addition would be a leather wrapped steering wheel.

My first VW!

1st VW, 07/01/2021
SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

This car feels premium and looks handsome. It’s quiet and comfortable, but fun and agile. Purchased the SEL 4Motion in pure gray. I test drove the BMW X1, the Toyota Venza, the Rav4, and the CRV. All were great rides, but the Taos literally had me smiling when I got on throttle. The ventilated seats are a nice feature that many SUVs do not have at this price point. Sure, there are a few hard touch plastics on the top of the dash, and I have experienced a little bit of the lag from the DSG transmission mated to the turbo (that reviewers note), but it’s overall a great machine for the price and spec list. I am coming from 16 years of Toyota sedans, so I am worried about the reliability, but I am cautiously optimistic that with great care, the Taos will be around for a while. If you’re driving 2 row SUVs in the compact and sub-compact class, give the Taos a test drive. You won’t regret it. I hope to update this review overtime.

Extensive Test Drive

Adam El, 06/18/2021
SE 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Just to be clear, I don’t own a Taos, but I am interested in it so I did an extensive test drive pretty much the day my local VW dealership got them in. I wanted a FWD SEL, but the only one available to drive was a FWD SE. Key impression: This thing is a blast to drive. It feels light, agile, wants to be tossed and chucked around. It is quick rather than fast. By this I mean that you’re not going to be racing sports cars 0-60 in this, but it is really light on its feet. Actually, at least for the FWD version, the steering is almost too light, where you have to catch yourself to keep a minor steering move from putting you in the next lane. Boring this thing is not! I’ve seen some reviewers elsewhere say they felt some turbo lag, but that was not my experience. It felt fast enough, quite responsive, and just plain fun. It is quite spacious front, read, and cargo. The front seats felt comfortable, but I’d need longer with it to say for sure. The rear seats have lots of legroom, but I noticed that to get that, VW lowered the rear seats a bit. Taller people in the back might be a bit uncomfortable because their legs would be angled up, and shorter people or children might be annoyed because they would be sitting so low as to not see out the windows very well. Kids in car seats or booster seats should be OK. The trunk was decently large, looked bigger than any subcompact SUV’s, but not quite at CRV or RAV4 size. Note that the FWD versions have slightly larger cargo than the AWD versions because they have the smaller torsion beam rear suspension rather than the multi link suspension the AWD gets. I had no issue with how the rear suspension behaved, so I’m fine with the torsion beam FWD version to get the cheaper price and larger cargo, but then again I live in sunny California. If I lived somewhere that got a lot of snow, I’d probably want the AWD. The infotainment system was very intuitive and easy to use and felt and looked quite modern. No complaints, except I would have liked a 360 degree camera option, though maybe the Taos is small enough not to need it. Also, visibility is excellent. You can see clearly in any angle, with large wide windows. Sound quality was fine. Didn’t have it for enough time to really test mpg, and obviously reliability and so on are unknown (some people have problems with VW’s, though I had a Passat for 4 years that was absolutely solid and reliable during that time). I think the ideal customers for the Taos are individuals or young families who want something fun and lively and efficient, that can carry a lot for its size, but understand this is not going to replace a 3-row SUV or minivan.

2022 VW Taos

Florida Phil, 08/03/2021
updated 08/08/2022
S 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I recently traded in my 2017 Honda HR-V in "Base" Trim with 67K miles on a new Taos. Getting $15.800 for my trade with "No'Dealer fees and another $1,000 discount, not bad for a 6 year old Vehicle that I originally paid $20.500 for? Getting back to the Taos. I completely disagree with the so called "experts" claim the so called sweet spot is the SE Trim, wrong. An upgraded Radio, heated exterior mirror, and fake vinyl/cloth interior and the same base digital cockpit? The S Model at $24,000 plus an extra $1000 for the IQ and Convenience Package is the best value. I've only had the Vehicle 2 weeks but so far, I love it. Not even broken in yet and getting an average of 33 mpg city/hwy with the FWD. Plenty of room, jack & spare tire, and reasonable pick up too. Was between Dust Blue and Black, Black won. No tinted privacy glass with Base S but 3M Color Stable Film installed for $150. UPDATE: One year and 16K driven and so far, the absolute best Small SUV I've ever owned. My first VW Vehicle and I am very impressed. Under 25K and little fault to find. Yeah, the pathetic Bicycle Horn has to go, (maybe in `23?) The Rear Hatch needs a Power closure button, not much else. I was so impressed by this Taos in "S" Trim in Black. At 25K with added Safety IQ package, a real bargain. I just took deliver of its first cousin a `22 Audi Q3 that I special ordered in Feb and it arrived from Hungry last week. Very similar Vehicles but almost twice the price with a lot of upscale luxury trim.

1 out of 5 stars

Misfire

No Thank You, 12/03/2021
SE 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

In under 5k in miles my 2022 Taos had the fuel line, fuel clip, fuel pump, fuel injectors and fuel harness all replaced. Something was truly screwy with the Taos' fueling system. Having almost been in a couple different accidents because my car decided to begin misfiring at random times, I decided to ditch my Taos. The car was repaired 4 different times in only a month and half of ownership. Typically I do not purchase a new car with the expectation of it being in the shop other than general upkeep within the first few years of ownership. I hate admitting this but it wasn't until I got out of my Taos and into a different car did I realize how badly my Taos' performance actually was. Aesthetic Rating: 94% Reliability Rating: 17% "Nice is different than good."

1 out of 5 stars