Used 2005 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used GTI for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons
4.13 out of 5 stars

Too many trips to the dealership

Qlueless, 01/14/2008
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have taken this car to the dealership more times in 9 months than my toyota has been in 8 years. I think right now there is water leaking on the passanger side floor, and also the trunk. I have had the trunk lock fixed twice, rear washer, drivers door lock, window fell inside door, had to be towed becuase it would not start, car alarm was going off every night at 3am. Had to leave battery disconnected everytime I got out of the car or the alarm would go off. Driver's seat stuck in place. I used to be a VW mechanic years ago, and this will be the LAST VW that I ever buy.

4.63 out of 5 stars

23 years of German Hot-Hatch-History

Drew, 09/27/2006
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love how the GTI has German engineering. It is a car fit for the Nurburgring. Highway speed can shoot from 55-85 mph at a drop of a hat. It has a good sound when reving through higher rpm. It has styling cues of the 3-door Audi S3. I love letting onlookers hear the turbo spool up and whistle. BME 3-Series drivers won't know what just flew past them. This is truely the poor man's Porsche Boxster.

4.88 out of 5 stars

I get excited everytime i turn it on.

jrx45x, 07/18/2012
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is my love. I don't like how these cars look stock though. there kinda boxy and awkward. So i lowered mine and its the most amazing thing ever i get so many looks. At first i got it with 60k miles and it needed alot of maintenance like timing belt and ignition coils. Timing belt was $1000 at dealer so i took somewhere else for $500. Beware, the dealer is expensive. I either fix stuff myself or take somewhere else. It is a reliable car if you treat it good. If you always rag on the car itll rag on your wallet. Its fast too, i wont ever sell mine, in fact when the engine goes i will swap another 1.8t into it i love it that much. Hope you like yours just as much as i do.

3.38 out of 5 stars

pricey

viadisgr, 07/28/2012
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my Gti off a lease,was happy with it.But when my timing belt went at 70,000.Not happy with that.Spent to much money on it.

4.75 out of 5 stars

2005 GTI 1.8 Turbo

Brandon, 09/26/2008
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this vehicle after owning a 1999 Honda Civic. What a difference! I love my new car. The turbo sounds awesome. I was going to get another civic hatchback but might as well get a hatch that comes stock at 180 hp. I recommend putting an exhaust on it, it handles much better and sounds 100 times cooler. The sound of a stock GTI wasn't appealing so I got a Megan Racing cat back exhaust. I have a check engine light on all the time though and nothing is actually wrong with my car. The cruise control also doesn't work. hopefully everyone else was lucky and managed to keep theirs going.

4 out of 5 stars

GTi is great but..

GRweigh, 05/18/2008
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my GTi it's a great car, but I don't like how it only about gives 27 mpg. You would think that a small hatch back would way less then 3000 pounds and save pretty good gas. I understand that is turbo and it's cool. I think they should at least have tried to make it a 30 mpg. I haven't so far experienced any problems other technical problems with the car but I think It is a pain to have to fill up the gas with premium. Especially the price on gas right now.

4.5 out of 5 stars

I look fly in my GTI 1.8T

lea, 06/25/2008
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my GTI its 5-manual love the way the turbo hits approx. 50 mpg to 80 and stops on a dime has the comfort as a 2006 lexus, I personally have two vehicles my other is ESCAPE 5- manual my GTI cannot compare to my other, I drive my GTI more than my escape. It's the way the onlookers around look at me flying in my ride.

4.88 out of 5 stars

My First Car, and an Absolute BLAST!

Chris O., 12/15/2005
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Being a lifelong Manhattanite, getting a car is really a luxury. I was really close to buying a MINI Cooper S, but after much research I went with the Volkswagen GTI. I'm a musician, so I needed a little extra room for cargo. With the GTI comapred to the Cooper I get better top-speed, equal acceleration, better performance, almost-as-good MPG, and 25 cubic feet more cargo space, for thousands less! I can't say enough about how much fun it is to drive. The '05's don't have the slick style that the '06's will, but I like this boxy little guy. It looks so unassuming and frumpy. But then you step on the gas, and it says, "See ya!" Fun, fun, fun.

4.75 out of 5 stars

Fun to drive, great value!

bman33, 06/14/2005
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The original sport compact and still the best. It is fun to drive and can be had for around $20,0000. I have been averaging 28 - 30 mpg. The interior quality is by far the best in this price range. The car is easy to chip, which adds up to 30 HP and 50 ft./lbs.of torque! When chipped, it will bury a $5,0000 more expensive Acura RSX Type S or Subaru WRX.

My GTI

GTI baby, 06/29/2005
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my GTI, It has been very reliable, it has the speed that I need, handles very well, and on long road trip my husband would take my car over his Impreza any day. My GTI is fully loaded, and many people are very impressed with the interior, and its design. The gears are very smooth, not rough.

51050