Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Tacoma for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

so far so good

TacomaHi, 12/20/2003

I am to say the least pretty impressed so far with my 2004 Tacoma. I assummed the ride would be a lot rougher than what it actually is. It is actually very smooth. Engin seems pretty much up to anything that I want to do. The overall workman ship is excellant.

my truck

crewcabman, 12/27/2003

its a great looking truck and you can put items in the back seat in bad weather instead of the truck bed.

Never wanted a truck

Mikey, 08/30/2005

I personally never wanted a truck. I took this vehicle for a test drive (my wife said it was a "cute" truck) in the parking lot of a closed down supermarket - 1.5 feet of snow with 4 foot drifts (TRD package). It walked through it with ease, so I bought it and added a spray in bed liner and cover. I've taken it off-road, on highway trips and towed many different trailers. It's done everything I've asked of it. With the TRD package, the ride is a little stiff until you throw 500lbs in the bed. After buying it, I'm not sure how we got along without it.

A Really Great Compact Truck

ursa5000, 12/31/2003

The five words to describe my truck: Solid..Reliable...Workhorse... Practical...Fun. We leased a 2001 that we added running boards, a Leer Camper shell and a bed liner. We have hauled fire wood, funiture, bricks, yellow labs, grandfather clocks, and antiques. The engine loves to be pushed and I have not had a single engine problem. The auto transmission shifts hard from second to first . Make no mistake this is a truck and it is a bit top heavy so no Hollywood driving. Yesterday ,I bought a new Corolla for the wife. The dealer saw my truck in the lot, and one thing led to another and I traded a for a new 2004 truck with ABS and lock dif..

tacoma

jamesmoo, 01/01/2004

great fun truck, bulletproof.

Tacoma Prerunner Review

fpsakes1, 01/04/2004

I have found that this truck is first class in nearly every respect. The ride is comfortable and I have not experienced any problems with my lower back after an extended period of driving. It is a very responsive vehicle, with no delay in acceleration at critical times. Nor, is there any sway when cornering or at highway speeds around curves. I have no criticisms about the interior decor. (See below about the clock and rear head restraints.)

Good truck, rough ride

Bull gator, 01/06/2004

I actually purchased this truck in june of 2002. During the first couple of months I really enjoyed this truck. But, then the harsh ride and the plywood seats started hurting my back every time I went off road or on a trip for longer than 2 hours. I am getting ready to purchase a 1500 crew cab chevy in june, and I can't wait for that smoother ride and those soft seats.

o what a feelin

Rogcooksen, 01/07/2004

great truck. plenty of power. pulls my boat with no problem. never gave me any trouble. jus turn key and go

2004 Tacoma sr5 with the TRD package

ChefNeil, 01/08/2004

I bought the 2004 Tacoma, fully loaded, extended cab, for $24,000. When researching the compact pickups, I had read the ride was horriable in the tacoma. The ride infact is better than any pickup I have ever been in, and similar to a car. We just got 8" of snow, and the 4x4 handling was outstanding. When i want the truck to get up and go, s

Best Value Ever

Perry Hammmons, 10/22/2005

This truck is the best of the 3 Toyota pickups I've owned since 1987. Checking the Kelly Blue Book and Nada a year after purchase I found it has INCREASED in value. I paid $19,888 for it and with $15,500 miles on it retail book is $22,000 Wholesale is just a few hundred dollars less than the purchase price.

love the truck

dave hsu, 01/20/2004

reliability and comfort, along w/solid ride, makes it the best small pickup i have ever owned!

Best vehicle I've owned yet!

Jethro790, 01/20/2004

When I started looking for a Toyota Tacoma, I was interested in a used vehicle. After seeing the price of the used Tacomas, I decided to go with new. I now understand why these trucks hold thier value so much. The quality is great. Even the used ones I test drove with 35-50k miles on them felt tight and solid. My truck is equipped with the inline 4 2.7l engine, and it has plenty of grunt for my use. I have been off-road with it many times and it performs flawlessly. I was impressed to see that the owners manual specifically states that "This truck is designed for off-road use." I will be sticking with Toyota for some years to come.

Love it.

Gasman, 01/23/2004

The 2004 Tacoma V6 XTRA is confortable and roomy. It has easy to access features and storage. I have had no problems with it and bought a Toyota for that reason.

Love the Limited

Carolyn Luna, 01/24/2004

I love my 4x4. We bought the 4x4 and the stock 2x2 2004 Tacomas. The Limited package added the luxury I was looking for in a vehicle I love to drive it.

Great offroad, harsh ride

Citrus man, 01/24/2004

I now have 50000 miles on my Tacoma. During the fist couple of months I really liked this truck. But, then I started realizing how it will beat you do death off road, and after a long road trip your back will beg for mercy. Overall, it's fun to drive and is great off road. However, its stiff ride and plywood type seats make it a very ucomfortable truck to drive.

My honey!

Myothertoyhasteets, 01/28/2004

I love this thing. it seems to be flawless!

Overpriced Toyota

truckin Todd, 01/14/2004

I am sorry that I bought this truck for the money I paid for it. After driving my friends Nissan Frontier CrewCab longBed with the super charged v6 and hearing what he paid, I realized there is something better out there. Don't get me wrong, this is a good reliable truck, but it cost more, has a shorter bed, less power and torque, more interior noise and is lacking in certain options.

Great all Around Truck

Derick, 01/21/2004

I must say that I love the 2004 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5. It is a great all around truck. It is a very tightly built truck. Great ground clearance, good power but could use a touch more horsepower and I have done a few things to mine to bring it from it's 190 stock hp to just over hundred. Torque would be comparable. I love the stock rubber. I have went every where my friends have gone in there 4wheel drive trucks and some places that they couldn't. Don't ask me how, I don't know, it justs goes. I do have the posi-trac rear-end. I have found nothing I couldn't haul pulling or in the bed. I love my truck!!

Review of my '04 Taco

NealsToy, 01/22/2004

I've received plenty of compliments on the looks of my Tacoma. I love driving it. Lots of power when you need it the most. Solid build.

Best truck for the money

T.K., 02/16/2004

Toyotas cost more, but over the long troublefree life of this truck, it's the cheapest 4x4 on or off the road. I finally blew a head gasket in my '94 2wd at 225,000 miles. I'm getting it fixed, but decided to step up to a new 4X4. So many improvements! I know I'm going to love my new Tacoma.

I LOVE THIS TRUCK

sqwrilytaco, 02/17/2004

This truck was a repacement for my much- loved 1990 4Runner. Line-X'd and Snugtop'd This is my daily driver and gets me to the snow (almost) every weekend. The 3.4L engine is much more powerful than the 3.0L that was in my 4Runner. The truck has more than enough power, and climbs the Sierra's like a gorilla climbs a tree. The DC has enough room for everybody -- my friend who's about 6'2" 250+ fits comfortably in the backseat rather easily. The short bed is great for manuevering thru the parking lot at work, and has more than enough space for all my weekend gear (snowboards).

A Girl's Favorite Toy

Dayna, 02/17/2004

This truck is the best!!! I take it off road just about every weekend (on the beach). It rides so good! Keep on making them!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love my toyota

jenay, 02/18/2004

i love this truck becuase it has all the 4wd capabilities without the 4wd price and insurance costs. i get so many looks when im driving it, and it is just so fun to drive.

Very Poor Fuel Milage!

MyToyTac, 02/20/2004

I have been looking at the Tacoma for a while now. I loved the look and I test drove several Pre-Runners. I got it about a week ago. I didn't know that it would get such poor gas milage! I am NOT hard on the thing, never driving it over 70mph on the HWY. I even put the cruise control to try to stabilize the fuel econo, we shall see how it works. Over all I love the look and the feel of the truck! Hate the gas milage! I'm only averaging 16mpg, HELP!

Great TRUCK

sccrchick, 02/22/2004

I love my truck. I always wanted one and now I have one, I am so happy. I cant wait to get another one so I can have two great toys to play with.

Best of trucks:Toyota

trotter.3, 02/21/2004

When I see a Toyota add, I wonder why it doesn't push Toyota's greatest point: reliability. I know it will get me where I want to go. It starts every time, and requires minimal maintenance. When others tell me of car problems, I ask: what make is it? Why don't you get a Toyota? The last trip I made to my mechanic, I asked him to give my truck a good look over. I have 85000 miles on my truck. My mechanic came back and told me my Tacoma is in excellent condition. I wasn't surprsied. As a loyal Toyota customer, I'll never have any other make than a Toyota. You might, say I'm in love with my Toyota.

great truck!!!!

stevestruck, 02/22/2004

Maintenance free!!! This is the fifth truck Ive had since 1984. All you do is change the tires when they wear out and put gas in it. run run run. Had a ford ranger. You get what you pay for. Now when I see a ford ranger on the road I think: "You Fools!!!!". I took one over to Germany in 1995. drove it all over Europe. Put 60k miles and sold it for more than I paid for it new. They really keep their value and evryone knows their quality. I have seen and experienced the proof. I will never go to another truck, unless its a Tundra. Thabnks toyotsa for building a great truck.

Never Quits!

Grizz12, 02/28/2004

I have had my truck for almost a year now, and it has given me no problems! Previously, I owned a decked out Nissan Frontier and there is no comparison; My Tacoma which I had outfitted with Toyota's TRD supercharger produces 265 horsepower approximately which kicks the heck out of my previous rig... I just love driving this truck, I've never been stuck, the 4wd is the best I've ever owned and the supercharger helps. Only bad thing, you can't get the supercharger factory installed, you have to go through your dealer. However I got a great deal, never take the first offer is a good tip guys! I recommend this setup big time, it is a great vehicle!

love to drive my toyota truck

jason bowden, 02/28/2004

the truck looks great.i drove many trucks before purchasing this model.even against full size tucks this had the most rear legroom.with a bed cover i get almost 20mpg in it.i think the seats are very comfortable,much better than the honda i had previously.the trd package is definitely worth the money,and i haven't had any trouble with the truck.

Toyotas Rule!

KwanDuw, 03/02/2004

Tootas are by far the best over all pickup I've every driven!

King of the Road

PreAmocat, 03/05/2004

This is a fun car to drive. This is my first pick up truck, and I'm loving it. It's half SUV/pick up. Can't beat that.

so much better then my ford was

Rcoll2, 03/08/2004

'04 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab SR5 4 Cyl. 2.7l inline. Best truck for the money.

ray's review

raymond depouli, 03/09/2004

a dream come true

Very Satisfied Toyota Customer

Seawolf, 03/12/2004

This is my 8th Toyota and my 2nd Tacoma. I couldn't be more pleased with the vehicle or the dealership. It's got more than enough pep and pick up for me and is every bit as much fun to drive as a sports car like the Celica. I do a lot of do-it-yourself projects and am very pleased with the Tacoma's bed size and hauling capacities.

My first "perfect" car/truck!

dJ5, 03/11/2004

I'm a reasonable guy and expected a few imperfections on my new truck, but found none--even inside the engine compartment! The build-quality is amazing. I saw new Ford trucks which already had rust-spots on the housings of various engine components. The 2.4L motor is good match for this vehicle, enough pep with good fuel mileage. If I want to go fast, I'll ride my motorcycle. I think the 2.4L 2WD 5-spd manual trans., Extracab is the best value/dollar on the market--if you get it near invoice. I paid $16,500 out- the-door, including a $750 rebate. Mine has the SR5 "chrome package". I love my new truck! :-)

Great Truck

yahoo, 03/11/2004

I put the Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma head to head online specs were very similar. I test drove them back to back and my opinions are: The Toyota looks much better. Something just doesn't appeal to me on the Nissan front end. The Toyota felt more solid all around and of better quality. One thing that stood out was the Nissan steering wheel felt "loose" (dont know how else to explain it.) Nothing really stood out that I really liked about the Nissan except the price but the additional Toyota cost will payoff later in reliability. The Nissan was cheaper but I obviously went with the Toyota for the above reasons. 5,400 trouble free miles.

Unlevel truck bed

flhoss, 03/14/2004

After I took my new 2004 Tacoma home I noticed the bed wasn't level (left side over 1/2 inch lower than the right)and took it to Toyota of Puyallup for maintenance. Their first corrective action was to inflate the left rear tire to 34 lbs., instead of 29 lbs.. I wouldn't buy that. A Toyota factory representative "advised that up to 3/4- inch discrepancy in height is acceptable and no adjustments will be made under warranty". Refused to consider defective shocks, springs, assembly, loose or miss aligned u-bolts or noncompatable components. Where has the vaunted Toyota quality gone? Hello Honda!!!!!

New Toy

GeoBigJon, 03/19/2004

I have driven many trucks but this one is the best by far. We own a Dodge and sevral Chevy's on the ranch but none of them compare to the build quality of the Toyota. Not the most powerful on the market, or largest, but hands down my favorite.

American trucks suck!

uvlsalsmn1, 03/19/2004

My 3rd toyota! Love the 4 doors and all the room it gives. You pay extra for the toyota quality but it's worth every penny!

Good overall

tacman, 03/20/2004

I traded my 01 Dakota in for a Tacoma because the Dodge was crap. So far, I like it. The V6/auto combination is good, but not nearly as fast as the V8 was in my Dakota. Also the V6 can get thrashy at high RPMs. The handling is ok, but not as stable as the Dakota was. The overall vehicle seems put together well but I already have 2 rattles, one in the driver's side dash and another that seems to be coming from the rear left speaker. Funny, because my Dodge had no rattles. Overall I rate it good, but not great, but at least I have piece of mind with the Toyota.

so far, its awesome

ryanf, 03/22/2004

so far this truck is everything i wanted and more. Nothing bad to say about it. Everythings perfect.

Love it so far

TRD Lover, 03/23/2004

Just got my 04 Tacoma. Previously owned a Nissan Frontier and I just can't believe how much better this truck is. The power is excellent and smooth. The 4x4 system works great and is easy to engage. Overall this truck is more than I expected.

2004 Toyota V6 Dble Cab 4X4

RRod, 03/24/2004

It is an excellent truck. Very nicely built, ver tough, beautiful from the inside and outside. It looks great. I traded my 99 White Corvette Convertible and honestly, I have not been disappointed. PS. I had previously purchased back in 97 a 97 Tacoma Extra Cab 4X4 and yes, I loved it.

Great truck

perryman, 03/25/2004

This is a good all around truck but a little pricey. The interior could use a little refinment and buy the way, who needs 4 cup holders up front? More storage would be the better option. Great power and competitive gas milage is a plus. Smooth family ride for five or mud boggin and hualin toys with the boys make for a great all around truck. Does anyone know what time it is? I Cant See The CLOCK!!

My Hunting Truck

PsychoJr, 06/16/2006

Love this vehicle! Bought as my hunting vehicle (my primary car is a Lexus LS) but use on the weekends as well. Heck, I end up driving it to work a lot too! Used to own a Tundra but like the smaller truck better. No complaints here. Reliability is excellent and off road use is great. Have taken it through lots of mud and water.

2x4, 4dr, V6 prerunner, Limited, TRD

camroc, 03/27/2004

I did tons of research before purchasing this truck. I've read almost every article I could find and I settled with this truck.. I test drove the Frontier but it didnt come close.. Got the truck almost 1200 dollars less than the TMV report at around 500 below invoice!!! I only have 100 miles on it and I'm loving this truck so far

Excellent basic pickup

mozillar67, 03/30/2004

Excellent basic pickup, consistently get 27-28 mpg in mixed driving. No squeaks/rattles or any problems. Flawless.

4wd double cab limited

Hoss, 04/08/2004

I purchased a 2004 limited double cab 4wd for 24800. The off road capability is more than I expected, especially the low end torque in 4low. I am disappointed with the quality of the cruise control. The gas mileage is poor considering the size and weight of the truck. Overall I am very happy with my purchase. PS: the dealers have more room to work on the limiteds and stay away from the extra mile options $$$.

double cab 4wd

texagdoc, 04/08/2004

This has been a great little truck. It is easy to park. Has plenty of room for the kids. The 4wd is excellent. Its quiet on the road. The bed needs to be larger and it could use a little more power for towing.

#1 in Truck for Reliablility

Drewtwo, 04/11/2004

I have owned a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4wd w/ the TRD Package. Its quick, reliable, built for abuse and equipt for luxary. No leather here but its not needed for its purpose. Great manufacturer of Vehicles. Seen a tach of a toyota hit 300,000Miles w/out major work Great Truck recomend for anyone who likes mid sized trucks. Also get the TRD package, was worth the extra cost -- DrewTwo

51050